Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Security guard placed on probation for impersonating an officer

A security guard who prosecutors said passed himself off as a police officer to stop a motorist on the freeway and also brought a gun into a courthouse has been placed on three years' probationTimothy Higley, 30, of Skyline also was ordered to complete 35 days of public work service. Higley pleaded guilty Nov. 11 to false imprisonment and the gun charge. He faced a maximum sentence of more than three years in prison.
    San Diego Superior Court Judge George "Woody" Clarke said at a Tuesday sentencing that although Higley broke the law, he did so without "malicious intent." However, Clarke denied a defense request to reduce the gun charge to a misdemeanor.
    Prosecutors said Higley carried a loaded handgun into the Hall of Justice in downtown San Diego on June 9, when he was scheduled to testify at a court hearing. He wore his security guard uniform, which looks similar to that of a sheriff's deputy.
    State law prohibits anyone from carrying a weapon into a public building, except peace officers on official business and those taking weapons into court to be used as evidence.
    Before arriving at the courthouse, Higley had called a secretary in the District Attorney's Office, told her he was running late and asked whether he would be allowed to appear in uniform. He failed to mention the gun, prosecutors said.
    The secretary told Higley he could wear the uniform.
    Courthouse security personnel realized Higley wasn't a law enforcement officer as he was leaving the courthouse, and he was cited for having the gun.
    The false-imprisonment conviction stems from an August 2003 incident in which Higley detained a motorist on westbound state Route 94, although he had no authority to do so.
    The motorist, an off-duty police officer, stopped because he saw Higley's white Ford Crown Victoria Interceptor with California-exempt plates and thought it might belong to a SWAT officer, prosecutors said.
    Deputy District Attorney Michael Running Jr. called Higley's conduct an "abuse of trust," saying motorists typically expect to be stopped by a trained law enforcement officer.
    Running said Higley put himself and the motorist in danger.
    Higley apologized in court and told the judge he would refrain from such behavior. He said that when he brought the gun to court, he didn't know he wasn't allowed to do so.
    "I was under the impression that I had the authority . . . to come in like I did," Higley said.
    Defense attorney Richard Muir said Higley didn't hurt anyone and thought he was helping the police when he stopped the motorist for speeding. Muir said Higley always wanted to be a police officer and had completed police academy training.
    "He's really a good guy," Muir told the judge.
    Muir said Higley eventually plans to move to Pittsburgh, where his parents live, and hopes to join the Army's Ranger program. That might be difficult with a felony record.
    Higley also is precluded from becoming a police officer because he can't legally possess a firearm.

pmfc is offline ^
    I saw the news video for this story a while back. What a maroon.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    What a friggin TOOL!!!!!

MountainCop Guest
    Can we say 'dumbass whackjob wanna-be?'

I knew you could!

Here in Colorado, we have had a LOT of problems with police impersonators... one resulting in a murder. Because of that, impersonation got bumped from a misdemeanor to a class 6 (the lowest) felony. Possession or use of red/blue lights without a permit on a POV is also illegal.

We had one whack job that was working a parkway less than 3 miles from my house last year, stopping only females. I gave my spouse specific instructions on what to do if she were stopped by ANYBODY. The guy finally got caught by a very sharp lady - who just happened to be a volunteer fireperson

It's something for which I have zero tolerance.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Talk about a jackass

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    We had one whack job that was working a parkway less than 3 miles from my house last year, stopping only females. I gave my spouse specific instructions on what to do if she were stopped by ANYBODY. The guy finally got caught by a very sharp lady - who just happened to be a volunteer fireperson

What were your instructions? One assumes you have to stop whenever the lights come on. I'm interested. Please let me know.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

Kimble is offline Fact: sharks love cheeseburgers
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pmfc
    What a maroon.
    Quote Originally Posted by fscf3801
    What a friggin TOOL!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    Can we say 'dumbass whackjob wanna-be?'
    Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531
    Talk about a jackass
    We'll see what you guys have to say once Mr. Higley becomes a kick-ass Army Ranger. That'll show you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    Timothy Higley... hopes to join the Army's Ranger program.

PACMAN is offline Officer
    has to be in the Army, he's even too stupid for the Marine Corps.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN

BUWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAHHHHH HHHAAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAA!!!!

REP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_undergrad_08
    What were your instructions? One assumes you have to stop whenever the lights come on. I'm interested. Please let me know.
    Ok.. here ya go! Straight from the Colorado State Patrol website...

Q. What are the Colorado State Patrol's Recommendations for Safe and Efficient Traffic Stops?

A. If the legitimacy of a vehicle attempting to make a traffic stop is in question, a motorist may:

1. Use a cellular phone and dial 911 or *CSP(277) to verify that the official attempting to make a traffic stop is a police officer. The communication officer will not advise why the motorist is being stopped only provide verification of the agency making the traffic stop.

2. Activate the vehicle’s emergency flashers, slow down, and proceed to a lighted public location. This lets us know that you KNOW we are behind you and that you are trying to be safe. Not a problem for me!!

3. Request agency-issued identification card from officer. This practice should be limited to those times during which the driver has a substantial reason to believe the officer is not a credible official. The Colorado State Patrol has promoted a high level of awareness amongst its employees in regards to potential apprehension on the part of motorist during nighttime traffic stops using unmarked patrol cars. We do NOT use unmarked patrol cars - but at night, I have no problem with this.

*** These are general recommendations and should not be construed to completely represent all Colorado law enforcement agencies. These are generally accepted practices recommended by the Colorado State Patrol.***

However, if any LEO has a problem with this, IMHO they need some education. I would rather do a stop at a lighted location - that way, I can see what's going on a heck of a lot better.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531
    BUWWWWWAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAHHHHH HHHAAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAA!!!!

REP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Being that I'm ex-Army....

Jus' kiddin'!

But in the words of the famous Soup Nazi:

"No rep for you!"

Oh well another one lost....don't you have a nut to catch?

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    And that got you a big Semper Fi AND rep from the ol' Cajunguy.

Hmmmmm - could this dumbazz possibly have been Red, White and Liberal?? Just a thought.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

FishTail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy

Hmmmmm - could this dumbazz possibly have been Red, White and Liberal?? Just a thought.
    Was RW&L a big enough hypocrite to carry an "evil" gun? In fact, don't answer that...

If I come across him I will ask....I remember the story last year but did not know sentencing was in the past couple of days till Brad posted it.....

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    Was RW&L a big enough hypocrite to carry an "evil" gun? In fact, don't answer that...
    Oops, forgot 'bout that. Then again, as many "enemies" as he made here, maybe he does that everywhere he goes.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,

FishTail Guest
    Sorry...I just got an image of RW&L as a little scrawny guy with glasses screwing his eyes shut and pulling the trigger on a .44 Magnum...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    Sorry...I just got an image of RW&L as a little scrawny guy with glasses screwing his eyes shut and pulling the trigger on a .44 Magnum...
    Watcha think? About ten backflips maybe?

Or maybe the hammer leaving a foot-deep gash between his coke-bottle glasses.

I'm laughing my azz off just picturing that.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,

FishTail Guest
    I had him down as knocking himself unconscious when the recoil blows the gun into his forehead...

Verified LEO
    God, I'd LOVE to see a video of him doing that.

.44 Magnum pistol $500.00

.44 ammunition $30.00 a box

Video of RB&L knocking his silly azz out cold PRICELESS!!

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information