Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Chicago Police head retires amid scandal

By MEGAN REICHGOTT, Associated Press Writer 11 minutes ago

CHICAGO - Chicago's police superintendent announced Monday he was retiring early as his department tries to deal with two highly publicized videotaped beatings involving off-duty police officers.
    Last month, prosecutors filed felony charges against one officer accused of beating a female bartender, and six other officers were removed from street duty after they were accused of assaulting four businessmen in a bar.
    Superintendent Philip J. Cline said in announcing his retirement that he would stay on until the city found a replacement. He said he told Mayor Richard M. Daley of his intention Monday morning.
    "Mayor Daley has given me a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to lead the best police department in the country, and I thank him for that," said Cline, 57.
    To the city's police officers, he said: "I encourage all of them to rise above any controversy and stay focused on the mission."
    Cline, a Chicago native, began his police career as a cadet in 1968. He took over as superintendent in November 2003 and had been expected to retire later this year.
    After the two videotapes surfaced, Cline said he would change the way the department responds to allegations of misconduct, including moving faster to get officers accused of misconduct off the street. His early retirement announcement came as a surprise.
    The department was internationally vilified after the bar surveillance footage of an off-duty officer pummeling a female bartender half his size was broadcast worldwide through 24-hour news channels and on YouTube.
    The footage showed Anthony Abbate, a 12-year veteran of the force, punching, kicking and throwing 24-year-old bartender Karolina Obrycka to the floor after she reportedly refused to continue serving him drinks. Obrycka suffered bruises to her head, neck, back and lower body, according to her attorney, Terry Ekl.
    Police have not released the footage from the other confrontation involving the four businessmen on Dec. 15.
    Police had been called to the scene, but a sergeant who was among the officers involved in the fight waved them off, Cline said. He announced last week that the six officers accused of assaulting the men had been taken off street duty.
    Cline, a Chicago native, began his police career as a cadet in 1968. He took over as superintendent on Nov. 5, 2003. He had been expected to retire later this year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070402/...DK.lwBF3Os0NUE
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    he's been wanting to retire since last year. but i quess all whats happening lately pushed him over the top.
    Last edited by bird1; 04-02-07 at 01:34 PM.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Verified LEO

here's his full speech on video
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    that would suck retiring over something like this, what a way to remember his last days at the department.
    watching video's of "his" guys beating on people cant be the best way to go out.
    i just wonder what else went on to provoke these officers to do what they did, sounds like there something else out there joe public aint being told about.
    Last edited by k-9max; 04-02-07 at 03:26 PM. Reason: because i am a dunbass, and cant spell
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    If he is found to have been involved in the coverup of the beating of the bar tender, I hope he gets life in prison.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    If who was covering what up?
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    If he is found to have been involved in the coverup of the beating of the bar tender, I hope he gets life in prison.
    what cover up? what are talking about?

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bird1 View Post
    what cover up? what are talking about?
    abc7chicago.com is reporting....

March 23, 2007 (CHICAGO) - A grand jury is investigating whether a Chicago police officer was involved in trying to cover up another officer's alleged beating of a female bartender. The violent attack was caught by a security camera.

Anthony Abbate was arrested Tuesday on an aggravated battery charge. A videotape shows him beating a female bartender at Jesse's Shortstop Inn on West Belmont last month. Abbate was off duty at the time.

The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that a grand jury is weighing an obstruction-of-justice charge against a second police officer suspected of helping to threaten and bribe the woman to keep silent about the beating.

According to the victim, police officer Anthony Abbate, 38, came after her when she refused to serve him more drinks at Jesse's Shortstop Inn.

"I just refused serving him because he got too stupid and too drunk," said Karolina, 24, who did not wish to use her last name. Karolina has sent quit bartending.

Abbate is out on a $70,000 bond.
    At 5'4" tall and 115 pounds, Karolina is half the size of police officer Anthony Abbate, who is 6'1" tall and 250 pounds. Abbate allegedly went behind the bar, threw Karolina to the ground and then repeated punched and kicked her. A security camera caught the attack on tape.
    Several officers are under investigation for trying to cover up this beating by the off duty asshole.
    dlefdal said:

Verified LEO
    ok , this doesn't involve Supt. Phill Cline

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bird1 View Post
    ok , this doesn't involve Supt. Phill Cline
    Ok.
    Last edited by Norm357; 04-03-07 at 11:55 AM. Reason: stoopid cap lock
    dlefdal said:

Copper51 is offline Up all night
    Is the Chicago rank and file glad to see him go and looking forward to a new guy? Or with a department that large does it even affect the guys on the street? You don't need to answer that since it's a public forum and there may be consequences.
    Last edited by Copper51; 04-06-07 at 02:54 AM. Reason: not thinking straight
    The statements and opinions made here are of Copper51's only. They do not reflect my department or the city I work for.
    So lay off, I'm offduty and spouting off.

Thread Information