TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Shots Fired at CNN Center in Atlanta

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/cnn...ing/index.html

Woman injured in shooting at CNN Center

POSTED: 2:07 p.m. EDT, April 3, 2007

Story Highlights
    • Police have a suspect in custody; victim's condition is unknown
    • CNN writer witnesses man shoot woman twice near newsroom
    • Witness saw man dragging woman by the hair; man told to get out of the way

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A gunman shot and wounded a woman at the CNN Center complex, Tuesday, prompting newsroom workers to scatter for safety.

A security guard responds to the shooting Tuesday at a hotel in CNN Center.

A witness who is a CNN employee saw a male shoot a female twice in a street-level lobby area at the northeast end of the building, near the Omni hotel, which is part of CNN Center.

Police have a suspect in custody.

The condition of the woman is unknown.

Two people were transported on stretchers to separate ambulances. It was not known whether one of them was the shooter.

Police said the woman shot was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital.

Immediately after the gunshots, workers in the CNN.com newsroom, which looks out over the Omni area, scrambled out of the building seeking cover.

Turner Security said a male and female were engaged in an argument and shots were fired.

Charles Williams, who works in technology services for Turner, saw a man dragging a woman by the hair one level above where the shooting occurred. The man told him to get out of the way. Williams went to get a guard, and then saw the man apparently take the woman downstairs. He heard gunshots less than a minute later.

CNN.com writer Brad Lendon said he heard a loud bang, and then saw a woman on the ground next to a potted plant near a back entrance to the CNN.com newsroom. A man stood over her "and fired at least two shots into her," he said.

After the shots, Lendon said, the gunman "looked around, his head turning in my direction. I don't know if he saw me, but at that moment the gravity of what I'd witnessed hit me. I turned away and tried to find the safest way I could out of the CNN.com newsroom."
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-03-07 at 02:16 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wonder if the 'warm and fuzzy' CNN crowd will remain so understanding when violence hits home...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

They'll probably respond by taking guns away from their security guards, if they have any armed guards now.

(\__/)

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I gotta say, if I saw a guy dragging a woman by the hair, my first instinct would be to kick the guy's ass. Not cower and hide or find a minimum-wage earning rent-a-cop to call the police for me.

I'm very disturbed by the fact that so few Americans are willing to stand up and do the right thing when it needs to be done.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Nice Shot!

Update (same link):
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/cnn...ing/index.html

Hospital: Woman dead after CNN Center shooting
    POSTED: 4:51 p.m. EDT, April 3, 2007
    Story Highlights• NEW: Woman dead after shooting at CNN center, hospital official says
    • Witnesses: woman appeared to be pregnant
    • Atlanta police describe shooting as "domestic situation"
    • CNN writer witnesses man shoot woman twice near newsroom

Adjust font size:
    ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A woman has died according to Atlanta's Grady Hospital following a shooting Tuesday at the CNN Center complex, in what Atlanta police called a "domestic situation."

The victim has been identified Clara Riddles, 22, of College Park. Riddles was an employee of the Omni Hotel at the CNN Center complex.

Riddles, who witnesses said appeared to be pregnant, was shot and the gunman was then shot by a Cpt. Odell Adams, who joined Turner Security in 1996, according to a Turner spokesperson.

Preliminary reports indicate that the man was shot in the face
    , a law enforcement source said on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

The man and the woman were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. The man is in surgery, the hospital said. (Watch suspect at gunpoint, wounded woman on floor )

Grady spokeswoman Denise Simpson said the family of the dead woman arrived at the hospital. "They were having a tough time accepting the news of her death," Simpson said.

A witness saw a man dragging a woman by her hair one level above where the shooting occurred. The suspect told him to get out of the way. The witness went to get a guard, and then saw the suspect apparently take the woman downstairs. The witness heard gunshots less than a minute later.

The incident occurred about 30 feet from the back door of the CNN.com newsroom, outside a second set of glass doors. Several CNN.com employees witnessed the shooting. (Scenes from the shooting)

Brad Lendon, a writer for CNN.com, said he heard a loud bang, and then saw a woman on the ground next to a potted plant near a back entrance to the CNN.com newsroom. A man stood over her "and fired at least two shots into her," he said. (Watch Brad Lendon describe what he saw )

After the shots, Lendon said, the gunman "looked around, his head turning in my direction. I don't know if he saw me, but at that moment the gravity of what I'd witnessed hit me. I turned away and tried to find the safest way I could out."

CNN.com's Simit Shah said he heard a loud noise and saw two people in front of a doorway visible from the CNN.com newsroom. "At first they were moving in a manner that made me believe that they were running from something, but it then became clear that they were struggling," he said.

"They crashed into the a potted plant near the door, and then I heard the other shots in quick succession. At that point, it was clear to me that this was gunfire," he said.

CNN.com's John Helton had a direct view through the glass doors. "I saw him coming down the escalator pulling her along, around the corner; he ran into the plant and that's when they started struggling," he said.

"She seemed to be trying to wrestle free of him." Helton said the woman appeared to be shot at point-blank range. "He looked like he had the gun right on top of her head and shot her."

The atrium of the CNN Center is surrounded by shops and restaurants. The area has been especially crowded because the Georgia Dome hosted the NCAA championship game Monday night.

The CNN.com newsroom, near the Omni, was temporarily evacuated. Some workers had already scrambled out of the building seeking cover after hearing shots. (Watch for sounds from inside CNN.com during the evacuation )

In a message to employees, Turner Broadcasting said the shooting took place at approximately 1:30 p.m. at an entrance near the Omni Hotel, which is part of CNN Center.

(\__/)

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    They should have put up one of those no guns allowed signs and that would have scared em off.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I canceled my cable months ago so honest question here - did CNN or the other cable news outlets cover this?

Charles Williams, who works in technology services for Turner, saw a man dragging a woman by the hair one level above where the shooting occurred. The man told him to get out of the way. Williams went to get a guard, and then saw the man apparently take the woman downstairs. He heard gunshots less than a minute later.
    May you forever be haunted by your inaction, Charles Williams.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Im really surprised this happend. The CNN Center has its own PD, a very well armed security dept, and there is the GWCCC Police that patrol there also.

CPT Adams is retired APD. Good shoot.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    See that??!! If we had better gun control laws, this guy wouldn't have had one in the first place!! I mean, he didn't obey that little-known murder law, but he surely wouldn't violate a gun law!!

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    See that??!! If we had better gun control laws, this guy wouldn't have had one in the first place!! I mean, he didn't obey that little-known murder law, but he surely wouldn't violate a gun law!!
    I asked a security guard at the Dallas Museum of Art once why they had a legally binding 30.06 sign on the building (which means off-limits to armed CHL holders).

Certainly, anyone planning to do a felony, like robbing the museum or shooting up expensive art exhibits isn't gonna be deterred by the extra unlawful carrying of weapon misdemeanor that the sign triggers (not much more than a criminal trespass, if I remember right)
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-04-07 at 04:40 PM.

(\__/)

Thread Information