Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Security guard forces two disabled men to crawl to their cars

Two disabled men were forced to crawl to their car after a security guard refused to let them take borrowed wheelchairs past a shopping centre entrance.
    Westfield, which manages Fountain Gate shopping centre in Melbourne, apologised to the two men, who have muscular dystrophy.
    The pair, both in their 40s, had used wheelchairs loaned to them by the shopping centre in Narre Warren.
    They said a security guard had insisted they leave the chairs at the entrance and cover the five metres to their cars unaided.
    Sandra Costa, the sister of one of the men, said the experience had been humiliating.
    "Every time I think about it I get emotional," she told 3AW radio. "They have a disability. They need the courtesy to be treated like human beings," she said.
    Westfield's director of corporate affairs Mark Ryan said the company deeply regretted the incident. It should never have happened, he said.
    "I think undoubtedly (the family) deserve an apology. Once our management team provide me with a brief of the facts, Westfield will be seeking to meet with the people concerned."
    Equal Opportunity Commission chief executive officer Helen Szoke said she was appalled by the incident.
    "They had to crawl three to five metres. A 40-year-old person with muscular dystrophy - it's massively debilitating.
    "Do you think anyone crawling three to five metres to get to their car is acceptable? How would you feel if you were told to do that?"
    "At some stage you have to ask - where is the cost benefit analysis of allowing people to use a piece of equipment like a wheelchair? You would think shopping centres would see this as part of their service provision - even forgetting about human dignity."

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That's prettyb ridiculous. It still amazes me there's people out there who are just that stupid.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    That's pretty ridiculous. It still amazes me there's people out there who are just that stupid.
    Oh yeah, there are. And the guard should be damn glad he's not in MY jurisdiction! Definite candidate for "jackin' up".

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Stupid. My question is this though....how did they get from the car to the entrance when they got there?
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer
    Stupid. My question is this though....how did they get from the car to the entrance when they got there?

I was curious about that too? They had to make it there somehow...whatever way that was why couldn't they do it again? who knows!??!!
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

Indy Guest
    What a pathetic human being. He most likely stood there and watched too. Why couldn't he have walked the 15 feet or so to the car with them and then take the chairs back? Is that really so difficult?

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    What a pathetic human being. He most likely stood there and watched too. Why couldn't he have walked the 15 feet or so to the car with them and then take the chairs back? Is that really so difficult?
    Either he is pathetic, or there is a pathetic policy. Having seen and heard some policies, nothing surprises me anymore..
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That security guard needs to learn what the term "intent of the law" means

Maybe the mall has a policy about wheelchairs leaving the building. But, that intent is to prevent theft.....

Just stupid
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

slamdunc is offline On The Beat
    I hope this guy isn't planning on a career in law enforcement, I'm sure the psych profile will jam him up. I don't know if this guy was just born without common sense or is just a cruel SOB.

If the mall does have a policy about the wheelchairs, I'm sure that they have a customer service dept, as well. All malls in my area accomodate (within reason) any person with disabilities.
    Last edited by slamdunc; 01-19-06 at 03:51 PM.
    'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him"--Sun Tsu

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Nothing shocks me anymore when it comes to wannabees and uniform lovers.

2 years ago we had a car clamper refuse to unclamp a car despite the fact that the man was standing there with his seriously ill son, their local doctor screaming that it was a medical emergency and a police officer telling him to remove the clamp or be arrested.

He only removed it when the officer handed the cash over himself but luckily the officer took it further. The guy was sacked and that company lost the contract because of their dickhead policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    everytime I hear about a security guard fuckin up... I think about RW&L...does anyone else??

sorry had to bring that up
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

pmfc is offline ^
    I think that "guard" should have his legs tied together and be forced to crawl around the perimeter of the parking lot for an hour.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    actually, I think the guard should be fired, his knee's broken, then made to crawl to an ambulance parked a mile away, and put himself into it.

I hope the family sues the piss out of them.

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531
    actually, I think the guard should be fired, his knee's broken, then made to crawl to an ambulance parked a mile away, and put himself into it.

I hope the family sues the piss out of them.

Nah, everything up to being able to put himself in the ambulance. At this point the ambulance needs to inch forward a little everytime he tries to grab on and pull himself up. Then they need to tell him, "Okay, seriously, man. Get in. We won't do it again." And then of course, do it again. That would be sweet justice.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_undergrad_08
    Nah, everything up to being able to put himself in the ambulance. At this point the ambulance needs to inch forward a little everytime he tries to grab on and pull himself up. Then they need to tell him, "Okay, seriously, man. Get in. We won't do it again." And then of course, do it again. That would be sweet justice.

All the way to the hospital.

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    It would be nice if he was wearing shorts while he was dragging along. Not to mention a lot of broken glass along the way.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    how bout no shirt or shorts, and make him low crawl over the broken glass? And throw in rusty nails?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Oh, we also need to add in a rabid dog chasing him down the street the whole way. For humor's sake we'll let the dog catch him at the end.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

Thread Information