Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking Undercover reporter arrested during hospital probe

OOPS... I guess this means the hospital passed?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....115e1e38.html

07:41 PM CDT on Friday, March 30, 2007
    Associated Press

LUBBOCK A television reporter and North Texas native who says she was doing an undercover investigation into security at hospital maternity wards was arrested after walking into a nursery with a large bag and asking questions about child abduction security.

Cecelia Lynn Coy-Jones

The arrest came a few weeks after a baby was snatched from a Lubbock hospital by a woman in hospital scrubs who allegedly hid the newborn in her purse.

Cecelia Lynn Coy-Jones, 33, a reporter for NBC affiliate KCBD-TV in Lubbock, was dressed in a similar way and carrying a large red bag when she entered Northwest Texas Hospital in Amarillo on Tuesday evening.

Her questions in the nursery area set off "alarm bells" with security personnel who confronted her, Amarillo police Sgt. Randy TenBrink said. Ms. Coy-Jones then identified herself and told security officers she was trying to see how long it would take for them "to respond to a suspicious person," he said.

It was not clear how long she was in Northwest hospital before she was noticed. Police were called, and Ms. Coy-Jones was ordered to leave.

Also Online

KCBD reporter arrested during investigation
    (KCBD.com)

About 20 minutes later, security personnel at nearby Baptist St. Anthony's Hospital notified an off-duty officer that a woman was asking "odd" questions about security as she stood near a large nursery window, Sgt. TenBrink said.

The reporter again identified herself and was arrested on suspicion of attempted aggravated kidnapping, TenBrink said.

Ms. Coy-Jones, whose KCBD biography says she is a graduate of Marcus High School in Flower Mound and Southwest Texas State University, was arraigned on two charges of attempted aggravated kidnapping Wednesday and was released after posting a $10,000 bond. Each second-degree felony charge carries a possible prison term of up to 20 years and a fine up to $10,000.

"We didn't see the humor in this test," Sgt. TenBrink said. "We don't know that's who she really is, the hospital staff doesn't know that's who she really is."

Dan Jackson, KCBD general manager, said the station was doing an undercover investigation to see what security measures hospitals and maternity wards were taking after "recent infant kidnappings in Lubbock by individuals posing as nurses."

Rayshaun Parson, 21, of Clovis, N.M., was indicted last week on federal kidnapping charges for allegedly taking a baby from Covenant Lakeside Hospital in Lubbock on March 10. The baby was found in Clovis the next day. She has not entered a plea and remains in custody without bond.

Last year, a woman was accused of kidnapping a days-old baby from the mother's home after posing as a nurse and befriending the mom in another Lubbock hospital.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer
    No mess with new born baby. You get punish!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    "We didn't see the humor in this test," Sgt. TenBrink said. "We don't know that's who she really is, the hospital staff doesn't know that's who she really is."
    Not sure what humor has to do with it. As for the hospital staff knowing, that'd sort of blow the whole concept, now wouldn't it?

I do have to wonder though what safeguards this or any station has in place to deal with undercover reports. Its only reasonable to expect a certain percentage of the time the reporter will get caught - how do they prove they were actually doing a story? Anyone know of any procedures used?

If nobody else at the station had prior knowledge of her report the fact that she happens to be a reporter and took a camera isn't a clear indication of her intent here.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Shame they didn't tase her.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Say it with me...

Can't fix stupid.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The media sucks ass.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    what a dumbass
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    i bet she just can't understand why she got arrested either

I wonder if she was actually going to kidnap the baby if they let her, or reveal herself at that point?

If the plan was to stop at that point, and was documented with her supervisors, I don't think they can convict her for attempted kidnapping (no intent), but they can certainly charge her

But you know, if her Editors knew of this plan, maybe they can be charged with conspiracy to commit something: Criminal trespass, Health Code violations, HIPPA violations, SOMETHING!!!

(\__/)

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    Not sure what humor has to do with it. As for the hospital staff knowing, that'd sort of blow the whole concept, now wouldn't it?

I do have to wonder though what safeguards this or any station has in place to deal with undercover reports. Its only reasonable to expect a certain percentage of the time the reporter will get caught - how do they prove they were actually doing a story? Anyone know of any procedures used?

If nobody else at the station had prior knowledge of her report the fact that she happens to be a reporter and took a camera isn't a clear indication of her intent here.
    Good question.I just e-mailed your reply to my younger brother.Up until a coupla months ago he was a reporter for a tv station in Chattanooga,will post his reply if and when he sends it.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    My brothers reply ,makes sense to me:
    While I have not actually tried anything like this, I have thought about it many times. What this reporter should have done is to work closely with the station management and the highest levels of the police department to let them know what she had planned. Of course, the police department would be hard to convince, but a good reporter could make the case.

The advance notice would have to be of short duration to prevent any leaks of information to the hospital, but at least when it came to the point that she was caught, or not, the administration in the police department could step in and verify the validity of the reporter's story, that she was merely testing the security in place at the facility.

At no point should a reporter take it upon themselves to invade a secure facility unknown to anyone but themselves. They place themselves and the facility employees/patients at great risk.

That's my response to the thread.

That makes a lot of sense to me, too.

(\__/)

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Thanks Mav. That seems a sensible way to go about things.

Thread Information