Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Question What's the most time wasting task you've been assigned?

To protect and sweep? This would be funny if I weren't so annoyed by it. In the interest of making chicken salad out of....ahem, so, got any stories of your time being wasted which rival or even top this?

http://www.pawtuckettimes.com/site/n...id=24491&rfi=6

Police look to avoid street sweeping confusion

PAWTUCKET - The city just wants to clean, not clean up, Police Major Paul King maintains.

But, if you insist, the city will take your money.

The city's three street sweepers are hitting the road next week. The plan is to hit every street every week. The city is asking city residents to keep their cars off the streets when the sweepers arrive.

If you don't, the police will stick your car with a $15 ticket.

"This is the third year of the program," King said. "All we want is to get the cars off the streets so the streets can be swept.

"We really don't want to write tickets."

The plan is to have the sweepers hit each street on the day after the regular trash collection.

That is not something you will have to remember. The city has issued reminders.

"The streets are posted," King said. "There are signs at each end of the street that lists the day that parking is prohibited. But it is always the day after the normal trash pick-up."

The sweepers will begin work Monday, but the city will be issuing warnings before tickets are writen, King said.

"During the first two weeks of April, city workers will place warnings on every car that is still parked on the street," King said. "After two weeks, we'll start writing tickets. That will begin on April 16.

"We'll send out three police cars every day to accompany the street sweepers."

Though the plan is to send the sweepers out five days a week, the sweepers don't go out in the rain.

Police plan to use their telephone message system to get the word out. You can call the number at 727-9100, extension 888, to determine if the police will be ticketing for street sweeping on a given day. You can also reach the front desk at the police station by dialing 727-9100, extension 712.

"But it is probably easier to move you car on that day," King said. "It could save you a ticket."

City officials decided on a two week warning period after their experiences during the first two years of the program, when the police and City Hall got flooded with complaints about the parking tickets.

Everyone is hoping the warnings work, King maintained.

"We don't want to tag cars," he said. "We don't want to bother people. We just want the cars off the streets so we can get them cleaned.

"If the cars aren't moved, we'll tag them."

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I watched a dumpster for eight hours once because the business owner insisted that someone was dumping trash in his dumpster and costing him hundreds of dollars a week in trash pick up.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    I watched a dumpster for eight hours once because the business owner insisted that someone was dumping trash in his dumpster and costing him hundreds of dollars a week in trash pick up.
    Did you catch the dastardly trash-dumper?

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Did you catch the dastardly trash-dumper?

No such person found. Dumpster was watched for a week. Nada. Good overtime though.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

I stared at a football field one night for 8 hours to make sure no one went near it. Thank god for cell phone games.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    #1 useless task: doing stats from reports that were already logged into the system, but the programmers left no way to withdraw the data.

#2 the useless suggestion: defined as submitting an unsolicited suggestion. These are destined to slide off the commander's desk from under weight of the pile on the desk, and slide quietly and un-noticed into the waste basket.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I think that I may have all of you beat on two different examples:

-several years ago when I was still a city cop I was assigned to conduct noise level enforcement readings on a ballpark next to a sports bar. Neighbors were complaining that the noise level was excessive. (It wasn't.)

-while assigned to patrol for that same police department I was dispatched to take a theft report during the Christmas season. The item taken was one Christmas tree bulb from a Chsitmas tree on display in the yard. The value of the item taken was 50 cents.

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    those are pretty bad...while I was in FTO the sewer line at LSU broke and was shut down for a couple of days. Before it could be fully fixed it had to be flushed out by roto-roter. I got assigned what came to be known as the "Shit detail" three times where I had to sit in the car for 8hrs while the shit trucks flushed out the sewer pipe. /sigh easy o.t. but damn talk about a job for the FNG

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Several years ago, while working with a small PD, i was assigned to sit in the industrial park, due to a complaint that a male was parking his car in the park, and bruising his meat.( jacking off).
    i wasnt assigned to a patrol car, this was on foot.
    i found a good hiding spot, so i thought.
    the 3rd evening doing this, i observed a vehicle matching the description pull into the parking lot, the vehicle drove around the parking lot, and then pulled right beside where i was hiding inside the chain link fence (where the Trash Hopper was.)
    I couldnt see what the driver was doing at first, but i could here this wierd comotion.
    i opened the gate to the fence, and walked up to the vehicle, to find this freaken idiot, holding a playgirl, yeah a freaken guy magazine, and brusing his meat.
    I felt like i had been violated witnessing this. The road unit, had the honors of handling the rest of the case.
    I feel sick talking about this now, this isnt something that i like to remember, but was inclined to post on here, to top things out...

Hope none of you ever get this type of assignment!
    Last edited by k-9max; 04-10-07 at 01:22 AM. Reason: i cant spell, dumbass
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    I guess i didnt read this thread carefully, this probably should have been the sickest, though it was time wasting for 2 1/2 evenings.
    i'll have to read the thread more carefully next time.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Thread Information