Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

You're going to hear about it somewhere. 911 call gone bad.

Noticed this one on a tech forum. Story originally ran April 5 - station pretty much reran it yesterday. Eventually it'll get traction, so you might as well read about it here if you haven't already heard.

Based on one TV station's website reporting I'm not even going to comment beyond saying I feel for the woman's family. Audio of the call is there too.

I don't want to post this, but its in the wind.

Original story, updated one:
    http://www.tampabays10.com/news/loca...?storyid=52277
    http://www.tampabays10.com/news/loca...?storyid=52517

911 call reveals what happens when supervisor won’t help

New Port Richey, Florida - "9-1-1 what is your emergency?”

The caller on the line says, “My girlfriend... I don't know, she's choking!”

911 operator Jenny Montanino received that call March 24th saying that Nancy McGhee was choking to death inside a Land O'Lakes home.

The operator asks the caller if he can do the Heimlich Maneuver, but he misunderstands and asks if she means to get behind her.

As part of the investigation into the incident by the Pasco Fire Department, Montanino says she asked for assistance for what's called "emergency medical dispatch," because she is not yet certified to do this.

But her supervisor Dave Cook, who in the past has been disciplined for sleeping on duty, said "I am not getting on with a hysterical caller."

The caller begged the operator to get people to the home and she assured him help was coming, but the caller hung up in frustration.

Montanino called him back and eventually Cook got on the line, but the caller was getting more upset:

Cook asks the caller if the woman was alert and the caller replies, "No sir." Cook asks again, and the caller tells him the same thing.

Cook then firmly says, "Listen to me, listen to me." The caller says he can't do Heimlich Maneuver, and Cook responds by saying "Alright, I'm going to give you back to the operator."

The report says Cook dropped the phone receiver onto the desk and said, "See, he's not listening."

And not only was there confusion inside the Pasco 911, but also because emergency units were out of place, it took 11 minutes after the call came before help arrived -- even though there is a fire station 7.6 miles away. And by that time, Nancy McGhee was dead

The investigation also shows Cook laughingly said after the woman died, ”Another one bites the dust," and "I guess she bit off more than she can chew.”

Cook -- who was found sleeping on the job again the day after the incident -- turned in his resignation for medical reasons. The Pasco Fire Department is continuing an investigation.

The assistant supervisor, Maureen Thomas, is also on leave.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    C F I P

(Cluster F*ck In Progress)
    Last edited by countybear; 04-11-07 at 11:05 AM.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    C F I P

(Cluster F*ck In Progress)

My thoughts exactly.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    That mother fuc*er needs to be taken outback and shot!! Lazy piece of shit! "I'm not talking to a hysterical caller" Its your job fuck nuts! Then, he made fun of the guys girlfriend dying! I take that back, he needs to be severly beaten, then taken outback and shot. Sorry, im just thinking how I would feel if I was the caller, and my girlfriend died because of his incopitence.

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I think you should listen to the tape. He does in fact give instructions for the heimlach maneuver. It also sounds like the RP tried it, just didn't know what is was called, because he says "I tried that!," when they start to instruct him. You can't do rescue breathing if the airway is blocked, so they could not do much beyond that.

As for what's not on the tape? I wasn't there, so I don't know all the circumstances, but I can imagine a few scenarios. All I can say, is if callous remarks are a sign of incompetence, there would not be anyone staffing 911.

**edit**

Unfortunately, that woman died because her boyfriend was unable to successfully perform a life-saving procedure. If he had not stayed on the phone for directions and hung up, he would not be charged with any negligence.
    Last edited by Willowdared; 04-11-07 at 06:10 PM.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I found it pretty amazing the boyfriend didn't know what the heimlich maneuver was. I sure don't know how to explain things to hysterical people over the phone. Ask the guy if he's seen Mrs. Doubtfire? Cook and Montanino both tried explaining it.

Maybe the media should try some 911 scenarios along with shooting scenarios.

And I wonder what's not on the tape too.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What I found troubling about the tapes was that the initial operator didn't seem to have any training or experience in breaking the caller's hysteria threshold, and establishing foundational support to the caller. The supervisor -- in my own humble opinion -- although attempting to coach, was impatient, intolerant, and returned the call to the initial operator. Unless there was another priority call which warranted pulling his attention away, doing that is tantamount to a Paramedic relinquishing care of a critical patient to a First Responder.

Although it looks like the staff at the 911 PSAP (the operator and supervisor) were certainly below par, I must ask if there is a system problem here as well... Why wasn't the call transferred or patched to a MedCom, EMS, ER, or other Medical PSAP for assistance? If there is no protocol or SOP for that, then the system there is as much at fault as the staff.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    I found it pretty amazing the boyfriend didn't know what the heimlich maneuver was.
    I think he did know....I think the article presumes "get behind her?" was him misunderstanding. I think it may be "where I get behind her?"

My agency is the PSAP for our jurisdiction, but we transfer to Fire/EMS on medical. They have a seperate certification, and protocols. They also have "scripts" they follow...they are required to read it, not off the cuff, no matter how many years they've worked.

That being said, there are still some areas where the FD/EMTs are dispatched by agencies without EMDs. They do not stay on the line to give instructions.

By the way....we would have sent deputies on this....we go to assist the FD on non-breathers and traumatic injuries to children.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

BabyGirl is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by rob84 View Post
    That mother fuc*er needs to be taken outback and shot!! Lazy piece of shit! "I'm not talking to a hysterical caller" Its your job fuck nuts! Then, he made fun of the guys girlfriend dying! I take that back, he needs to be severly beaten, then taken outback and shot. Sorry, im just thinking how I would feel if I was the caller, and my girlfriend died because of his incopitence.
    Beating and shooting him would let him off too easy. Someone needs to shove a bath towel down his throat and then laugh at him while he is choking to death and tell him (Don't get Hysterical!!)

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    As deputies, we respond to medical calls out in the county, if we are available.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    That's a bad incident. We're lucky at my PD. If that kind of call comes in, we transfer it to the city 911 dispatch center. The state doesn't consider us a PSAP even though we have a 911 set-up.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    When I posted this story I expected other media outlets would pick it up. None have, though a few angry bloggers have.

What I didn't anticipate was it would lead to many comments. Still, I think I'll look for a funny story for my next post.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I served 6 months on a grand jury once and I know Im not supposed to talk about the cases but I don't care. Negligent homicide case. Vehicle drives down a winding dead end road with his girlfriend in the car, crashes through a barrier and flips the car upside down in a waterway. He makes it out but the drunk girlfriend drowns. He breaks into a camp and uses a land line to call our 911 and beg for help. We heard the 911 tape. Not quoted but something like this.
    Please help me I wrecked my car and my girlfriends drowning.
    Where are you? I don't know I'm not from here. Are you near Bayou Maringouin? (the waterway the car was in) I don't know where I am. Ok we'll try to get someone to you. The operator hangs up. 3 calls later the operator, who has asked each time where the victim was, states Oh he's on a hard line the address is on the screen.
    Absolutely no training. That's the short version.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    When I posted this story I expected other media outlets would pick it up. None have, though a few angry bloggers have.

What I didn't anticipate was it would lead to many comments. Still, I think I'll look for a funny story for my next post.
    Ye of little faith... Fox carried that story this morning.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Thread Information