Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO

Waltrip charged after rolling car in accident

You know this motherfucker was drunk or he would have answered the door when the Trooper came by

April 10, 2007

AP - Apr 10, 9:03 pm EDT
    More Photos

SHERRILL'S FORD, N.C. (AP) -- Michael Waltrip has been charged with reckless driving and failing to report an accident after hitting a telephone pole and rolling his car about a mile from his home over the weekend.

Waltrip, who suffered scratches to his arms, hands and face and cuts on his finger, said he fell asleep at the wheel right before he wrecked his Toyota Land Cruiser early Saturday morning. He left the scene of the accident and walked the rest of the way home.

Police found him at his house several hours after finding the car at the accident scene.

``I am really embarrassed about the accident, but I feel fortunate that I wasn't hurt,'' the two-time Daytona 500 winner said Tuesday.

``For 25 years I have had a great driving record. I consider myself to be a courteous and safe driver on public roads. I never expected to fall a sleep behind the wheel of a car.''

ADVERTISEMENT

Police said the accident happened before 2 a.m. when Waltrip lost control of his SUV while driving around a curve and overcorrected. His car rolled and hit a utility pole, said Sgt. Brian Sharpe of the State Highway Patrol in Catawba County.

The vehicle, which was on its side, was abandoned and there was blood in it when police arrived. Witnesses reported seeing the driver crawl from the car and leave.

``He left the scene,'' Sharpe said. ``We got the plate number, realized it was him and tried to locate him.''

An attempt to locate him that morning was unsuccessful, but police reached him later Saturday. Waltrip was not arrested.

It's the latest troubles for Waltrip, who is having a horrendous first season as a car owner.

He was caught cheating during Daytona 500 preparations when NASCAR found a fuel additive in his engine, and was docked a record 100 driver points. His crew chief was fined a record $100,000 and suspended indefinitely, as was his competition director.

Meanwhile, he has failed to qualify for the five races since the 500.

Dale Jarrett, who drives one of Waltrip's cars, has needed a provisional to make five of the six races this year and is currently 37th in the points. David Reutimann, his other driver, has failed to make two races and is 43rd in points.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    Thats what he gets for leaving Chevrolet.
    I'm ready for spring!

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    true, although he didnt have much choice, DEI wasnt going to resign him, and there arent near enough restrictor plate tracks for him to be a good option for smaller teams.....speaking of DEI...anyone think we will see Dale Junior in a black #3 for Richard Childress in the next 2 years? If theresa doesnt get her head out of her ARSE, I can see it
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I wonder if Nascar will react to this at all.....as already stated, you KNOW he was drunk....
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I wonder if Nascar will react to this at all.....as already stated, you KNOW he was drunk....

Naah,, to much political correct BS,,, Nascar will leave it alone
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    He must have come up on a right turn only, Nascar drivers only know how to go fast and turn left
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information