Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

Good Police Work

Lottery ticket leads police to arrest Suspect charged in 2005 murders
    By Karen Jordan
    April 13, 2007 - A lottery ticket led Chicago police to a suspect in the 2005 murder of two people at a Southwest Side store. Surveillance video showed a suspect buying lottery tickets before the murders. Those numbers matched the address of the suspect's home.

Timothy Fountain, 37, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder. He was linked to the crime by the lottery tickets, a witness and DNA. Police credit "good, old fashion detective work" in the arrest.

"Area 1 detectives actively and aggressively worked this case for the past 2 years," said Patricia Walsh, Chicago Police Dept.
    Fountain is accused killing 38-year-old Graciela Rodriguez and 76-year-old Nicholas Guerrero almost two years ago during a robbery at Maggy's Food, a corner store in Brighton Park.

The suspect was seen on surveillance tape forcing Rodriguez, the cashier, to open the register. Police say the suspect then took both Rodriguez and Guerrero, a customer, to the back and shot them. Before the robbery, the suspect played the lottery and left the Pick Four tickets --with the numbers 5150 and 5157 -- in the store. The tickets were bearing.

"These numbers checked against the Chicago police arrest data base. This check resulted in finding that Timothy Fountain resided at an address that matched one of these numbers," said Walsh.

There was also a match using the police department's DNA database with materials collected under Guerrero's fingernails. Fountain has an extensive criminal background with 31arrests and 7 convictions ranging from domestic battery to burglary.

Police informed the victims' relatives of the arrest.

"They're pleased that someone is being held responsible of course it doesn't bring loved ones back," said Velma Candelario, Chicago Police Department.

Fountain will appear in bond court on Monday.

I'm glad they got this guy this happened 5 blocks from my house
    Last edited by bird1; 04-13-07 at 06:53 PM.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

ohionarc is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bird1 View Post
    Lottery ticket leads police to arrest Suspect charged in 2005 murders
    Police credit "good, old fashion detective work" in the arrest.

"Area 1 detectives actively and aggressively worked this case for the past 2 years," said Patricia Walsh, Chicago Police Dept.
    Fountain is accused killing 38-year-old Graciela Rodriguez and 76-year-old Nicholas Guerrero almost two years ago during a robbery at Maggy's Food, a corner store in Brighton Park.
    I'm glad they got this guy this happened 5 blocks from my house
    I love it when cold cases hit like this....a shining moment for the good guys and Chicago PD! Way to go!

OhioNarc

TheBigO
    Somewhere in Ohio

"There will be no peace until they (terrorist) love their children more than they hate ours"

The opinions represented here are mine, they are not intended to in anyway represent my agency.....

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    So this is why lottery winners often end up less happy than before they won the lottery.

I wonder if his winning lottery numbers were 4 8 15 16 23 42
    Last edited by Jenna; 04-13-07 at 07:04 PM.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Kudos to the detectives for being aggressive, and not giving up.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Thread Information