Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Sutter And Yuba Schools On Alert After Threat

Sutter County Sheriff's Looking For Suspect

(CBS13) YUBA CITY Sutter County schools are on lockdown and Yuba County schools on heightened alert this morning after a man allegedly threatened to go on a killing spree that would make Monday's massacre at Virginia Tech look mild.

Sutter County Sheriff's Department deputies are urgently searching for Jeffery Thomas Carney.

The Sutter County Sheriff's Department says Carney called his pastor and family saying he would go on a shooting spree that would make the killings at Virginia Tech look mild. They say he also said he had an AK-47, improvised explosive devices and poison. They also said he wanted to commit suicide by cop.

Jeffery Thomas Carney is described as a 28-year-old white male. He is 6'1" tall and weighs 190 pounds, with brown eyes and short brown hair.

Carney made no specific threat to any particular place or location but schools in both Yuba and Sutter County are taking precautions.

Yuba City School District Superintendent Nancy Aaberg placed a message on the district website outlining the security precautions her district is taking including putting all schools on lockdown, additional campus supervision and increased law enforcement patrol around all schools in the district and county.

Carney is a known methamphetamine user and is possibly under the influence, say deputies. They say he may be exhibiting symptoms of methamphetamine psychosis.

The Sutter County Sheriff's department says Carney is several pounds lighter than the photo they have released. Carney is currently homeless. His last known address was with family in North Yuba City.

Carney is possibly driving a red, boxy, mid-1990's Honda/Toyota-type sedan with a black hood.

All local police agencies have been notified and have been searching for Carney throughout the night.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    here it comes.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Bad thing is, there is no telling how many demented, disturbed, or just plain crazy asses out there that sat there and watched the VT shooting unfold and started thinking about doing similar things. As it's been said many times since the shooting, NOW is the time for LEOs to REALLY be on their toes get mentally prepared and properly equipped for similar instances. If you arent issued a good patrol rifle, GET ONE and train with it if your dept regs will allow.

It might be a day and it might be 10 years but the probability of a similar incident happening near you is almost guaranteed. Think of scenarios and how you will respond. Go over it in your head when you are just riding around on patrol. This is one of the best methods of training yourself to react properly or at least be somewhat mentally prepared.
    Last edited by Cidp24; 04-19-07 at 04:45 PM.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    whats a patrol rifle?
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Any quality rifle with a high capacity mag, that is accurate, easy to handle, and of a caliber capable of penetrating most ballistic vests. M4, Mini 14 etc. I just believe in accuracy at longer ranges and penetrating ability.
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Any quality rifle with a high capacity mag, that is accurate, easy to handle, and of a caliber capable of penetrating most ballistic vests. M4, Mini 14 etc. I just believe in accuracy at longer ranges and penetrating ability.
    I know, its like i want one, but they wont give us one.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    They are working on policy here to allow officers to buy and qualify with one if they wish. All supervisors here are issued M16 A1s that we got from the Govt on some kind of grant. Brand new, still in grease for $100.00 each. The dept bought 15 of them.

Last I heard, they have an apartment complex surrounded. I'll update as more comes out.

Subject in custody

Yuba City man who threatened massacre turns self in

ASSOCIATED PRESS
    11:29 p.m. April 19, 2007

YUBA CITY – A man who allegedly threatened a Virginia Tech-style massacre turned himself in to authorities late Thursday, ending a daylong manhunt that prompted school districts in two cities north of the state capital to tighten security.
    Jeffery Thomas Carney, 28, was sought after he told the pastor of the First United Methodist Church in Yuba City on Wednesday night that he planned a mass killing, Sutter County Sheriff Jim Denney said.

“He had some sort of explosive device and he was going to make the incident at Virginia Tech look mild by comparison,” Denney said, characterizing the conversation between Carney and the pastor.

Carney surrendered without incident at the sheriff's department around 9:30 p.m., shortly after his parents called authorities to tell them he would turn himself in, the sheriff said. He was booked on suspicion of making criminal threats and making felony threats while on bail on a previous charge.

Authorities were investigating whether Carney actually had firearms or explosives, and where he was during the manhunt, Denney said.

The threat came just days after 23-year-old Virginia Tech student Cho Seung-Hui gunned down 32 students and faculty on campus before killing himself.
    Worried parents picked up their children from school after hearing of the manhunt. Yuba College and school districts in Yuba and Sutter counties announced that all classes and activities Friday would be canceled as the search for Carney continued.

Denney said the schools would remain closed Friday, despite Carney's surrender, because it was too late to notify faculty and students. He also noted that Friday was eighth anniversary of the Columbine High School killings in Littleton, Colo.

“This would be a good day for everyone to calm down, settle their nerves,” Denney said.

Denney described Carney as a suspected drug user who had previous run-ins with police. He was arrested in February and again on April 4 on domestic violence allegations and is believed to use methamphetamine, Denney said.

Sheriff's officials described Carney as a transient who previously lived in Yuba City, about 35 miles north of Sacramento.

Lois Black, the pastor who alerted authorities after speaking with Carney, said he was an otherwise likable person who had been affected by drug use.

“He is absolutely, when he is clean and sober, the kind of person you'd like to have around,” Black told KXTV-News10 in Sacramento.

Carney did not make a specific threat but told Black and some family members that he had an automatic weapon and poison, and that he was hoping to be killed by police as he carried out an assault, according to the sheriff's department.

Black called the sheriff's department after hearing from Carney about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. Denney said he immediately notified law enforcement officials in Yuba City and Marysville, who then contacted school officials.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Denney described Carney as a suspected drug user who had previous run-ins with police. He was arrested in February and again on April 4 on domestic violence allegations and is believed to use methamphetamine, Denney said.

Sheriff's officials described Carney as a transient who previously lived in Yuba City, about 35 miles north of Sacramento.

Lois Black, the pastor who alerted authorities after speaking with Carney, said he was an otherwise likable person who had been affected by drug use.

“He is absolutely, when he is clean and sober, the kind of person you'd like to have around,” Black told KXTV-News10 in Sacramento.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Thread Information