Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Tech Gunman Bought Ammo Clips on EBay

Or idiot media on the loose again.

By ADAM GELLER and CHRIS KAHN
    Associated Press Writers
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 10:19 p.m. ET April 21, 2007

BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Internet activities of the Virginia Tech gunman provided more insight Saturday into how he may have plotted for the rampage, with revelations that he bought two ammunition clips on eBay.

Seung-Hui Cho purchased two empty clips about three weeks before the attack in which Cho killed 32 people and himself. The clips were designed for one of the two types of handguns he used.

Cho, 23, also used the account to sell items ranging from Hokies football tickets to horror-themed books, some of which were assigned in one of his classes.

EBay spokesman Hani Durzy said the purchase of the clips from a Web vendor based in Idaho was legal and that the company has cooperated with authorities.

A search warrant affidavit filed Friday stated that investigators wanted to search Cho's e-mail accounts, including the address Blazers5505@hotmail.com. Durzy confirmed Cho used the same blazers5505 handle on eBay.

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said investigators are "aware of the eBay activity that mirrors" the Hotmail account.

The eBay account demonstrates the prime role computer forensics and other digital information have played in the investigation. Authorities are examining the personal computers found in Cho's dorm room and seeking his cell-phone records.

One question they hope to answer is whether Cho had any e-mail contact with Emily Hilscher, one of the first two victims. Investigators plan to search her Virginia Tech e-mail account.

Experts say that when the subject of an investigation is a loner like Cho, his computers and cell phone can be a rich source of information. Authorities say Cho had a history of sending menacing text messages and other communications _ written and electronic.

On March 22, Cho bought two 10-round magazines for the Walther P22. A day later, he made a purchase from a vendor named "oneclickshooting," which sells gun accessories and other items. Details on the purchase were unclear, and the seller could not be reached for comment.

Cho sold tickets to Virginia Tech sporting events, including last year's Peach Bowl. He sold a Texas Instruments graphics calculator that contained several games, most of them with mild themes.

"The calculator was used for less than one semester then I dropped the class," Cho wrote on the site.

He also sold many books about violence, death and mayhem. Several of those books were used in his English classes, meaning Cho simply could have been selling used books at the end of the semester.

His eBay rating was superb _ 98.5 percent. That means he received one negative rating from people he dealt with on eBay, compared with 65 positive.

"great ebayer. very flexible. AAAAAA+++++" the buyer said of his Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl tickets, which went for $182.50.

Andy Koch, Cho's roommate from 2005-06, said he never saw Cho receive or send a package, although he didn't have much interaction with the shooter. Students can sign up for a free lottery on a game-by-game basis, and the tickets are free.

"We took him to one football game," he said. "We told him to sign up for the lottery, and he went and he left like in the third quarter, and that was it. He never went again. He never went to another game."

Durzy, the eBay spokesman, said the company has been assisting investigators since the start of the case.

"Within 24 hours, after Cho's identity was made public, we had reached out to law enforcement to offer our assistance in any investigation," Durzy said. "In looking at his activity on the site, we can confirm that at no point that he used eBay to purchase any guns and ammunition. It is strongly against eBay policy to try to sell guns and ammunition."

Attempts to reach the Idaho dealer were unsuccessful.

Cho sold the books on the eBay-affiliated site half.com. They include "Men, Women, and Chainsaws" by Carol J. Clover, a book that explores gender in the modern horror film. Others include "The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre"; and "The Female of the Species: Tales of Mystery and Suspense" by Joyce Carol Oates _ a book in which the publisher writes: "In these and other gripping and disturbing tales, women are confronted by the evil around them and surprised by the evil they find within themselves."

Books by those three authors were taught in his Contemporary Horror class.

Experts say things like eBay transactions can be hugely valuable in trying to figure out the motivation behind crimes.

An examination of a computer is "very revealing, particularly for a person like this," said Mark Rasch of FTI Consulting, a computer and electronic investigation firm. "What we find ... particularly with people who are very uncommunicative in person, is that they may be much more communicative and free to express themselves with the anonymity that computers and the Internet give you."

Cho's computer could hold a record of just about anything he has done, even of activities or communications he may have tried to erase. But Rasch said that likely will not be a problem, noting the way the gunman created a record of his thinking in videos, photos and documents.

"This guy wanted to leave a trail. He wasn't trying to conceal what he did," Rasch said.

___

Associated Press writers Kristen Gelineau and Allen G. Breed contributed to this report.

Itís magazines not clips you two fucking idiots.

And I have six for my Glock 3 15 round and 3 10 round.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18134692/
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    "It's magazines not clips"

My thoughts exactly

The entire time I was reading that, that's all I could think of.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Lets ban E-bay now
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Whitepaw is offline Student of Life
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    I really thought FOX News were different from all other media news. I was very wrong. I listened to the vomit that FOX was spewing. Same same as other media. Not just this incident, but other topics also. Fook'em.

Whitepaw
    "God Bless America"

"I have no words of wisdom, therefore I listen..."

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I admit it, I had to look. (but then I'm not writing about, or trying to pass legislation based on, these terms so...ok, so I still deserve mocking)

This wrapup says it all : http://www.thegunzone.com/clips-mags.html

Okay, now you know what a magazine is, what a clip is, and even what a "stripper-clip" is... how they work. Go now and sin no more.

But if it's still too much for you to grasp, just do what the 1994 Crime Bill did and call'em all "ammunition-feeding devices."

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Wow, a 98.5% eBay rating. I can sleep better now that I know that fascinating detail of the shitstain's life.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Since eBay operates out of California, and It's against eBay policy & California law (or so eBay told me) to list more than 10-round mags or buy prebans off eBay, so it sounds like at least two laws were broken there - Yet.... You mean... That didn't stop him???

I am confused. I thought laws solved everything!!!

I know that stoped me - I reworded my ad and listed a capacity of 10+5. They left me alone.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-22-07 at 02:58 AM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Nicely illustrated, Charlie.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggybank Cop View Post
    [COLOR="blue"]
    He also sold many books about violence, death and mayhem. Several of those books were used in his English classes, meaning Cho simply could have been selling used books at the end of the semester.
    English classes should be banned!

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    "It's magazines not clips"

My thoughts exactly

The entire time I was reading that, that's all I could think of.
    Funny. it was bothering me the whole time i read it

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    I admit it, I had to look. (but then I'm not writing about, or trying to pass legislation based on, these terms so...ok, so I still deserve mocking)

This wrapup says it all : http://www.thegunzone.com/clips-mags.html
    That article is wrong
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    That article is wrong
    Now that's just great. If I can't trust the internet what can I trust?

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I guess I will be the next Killer because I like HP Lovecraft books as well. It was a tragedy, I am tired of the news trying to psycho-analyze the whole thing and try to pass the buck to something else. Like Ebay, HP Lovecraft. Sorry I don't sit there and read some fag mag like home and gardening or how to decorate my condo with IKEA stuff. It's the guy who sold him the guns legitimately...hog wash.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    Now that's just great. If I can't trust the internet what can I trust?
    hahahahahaha

Honestly, I don't give a shit. But all through college my firearms instructor said "Clips go in your hair, not in a gun!" everytime someone called a magazine a clip. Now, because of that, it drives me nuts anytime someone calls a mag a "clip"

Thread Information