Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Teen Driving Law - MN

ST. PAUL (AP) Newly licensed teen drivers already are barred from using cell phones while driving. Now they might face a curfew on late-night trips and restrictions on cramming lots of friends into their cars.

The Minnesota Senate voted 40-24 Monday to keep teenage drivers off the roads between midnight and 5 a.m. during the first six months of their provisional licenses. The curfew wouldn't cover teens on their way to work or school or in the company of an adult over age 25.

The bill would also limit passengers to one person under age 20 not counting immediate family members for the first six months behind the wheel. The young driver could carry up to three passengers during the second six months of driving.

Critics said families, not the government, should decide when and how teens drive.

``Kids won't be able to double-date in a car won't be able to go to prom,'' said Sen. David Tomassoni, DFL-Chisholm.

Backers said similar laws in states including Wisconsin and Florida cut the number of crashes involving teens.

``Will this create some problems among some families? Yes, it will but I tell you what. It's a lot better than that problem of the county deputy coming to your door at 2 a.m.,'' said Sen. Steve Murphy, DFL-Red Wing.

The House hasn't taken up the bill, but Senate negotiators are expected to make it part of conference committee talks.

http://www.winonadailynews.com/artic...kiddrivers.txt

Anyone have similar laws where you're at? I'd be happy to see this pass.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    This is very similar to NC.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    thats neato

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320 View Post
    thats neato

Excuse me, Bek, but the seventies called asking for their phrase back.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    We have a similar law in missouri but is after 1am, I love it myself i really believe it has reduced the amount of accidents from kids late at night.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Here in Misery teens 16-18 can not drive between 1am-5am without a parent. Now I like that cell phone part you guys in MN have. That is awesome.

Well I just saw that dlocke already explained our law. Oh well.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Critics said families, not the government, should decide when and how teens drive.
    Of course...because there's no such thing as the totally douchebaggie irresponsible turd parent out there. The government has to step in when mom and dad stop giving a shit. idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Yeah Beansie, it's a nice law.

And what's even better, it's a "primary offense" so we can stop someone who is talking on a cell phone and "appears to be under the age of 18." Of course if they are 18+, no enforcement action can be taken, as it only applies to provisional license holders (less than 18 yoa)
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We just went to something similar here in Ohio. I haven't totally looked it over yet, but I believe its only a secondary offense here. No big deal really, there's tons of equipment violations to stop for.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Oregon has been doing a similar thing for several years. I think I read somewhere that the fatality rate for teen drivers has been declining since the law was passed.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but what I'd really like to see is tougher standards for passing drivers tests. When I got my license, it was a 15-minute cruise around the block. I was one point short of a perfect score. The scary thing is that most of my classmates that tested at that particular DMV failed their tests. They all went to another DMV which apparently had even lower standards.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

When I got my license for the first couple months I could only drive between certain times. We never had the certain number of people in the car thing though, which I'm glad because that would have been a pain in the butt, and probably would have deemed my driving pretty useless.

Michigan I think has a lot of things we do wrong but I think their licensing system is pretty detailed. As it's the graduated licensing system and I would have thought when I was going through it I was certifying to fly a fighter jet and not just a car.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

I just read that and these are the same critics that say driving is a right.... Families cant control their kids in their own house

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    wish we had this here.
    I stopped a car yesturday after school with 12 kids in it... in the back seat they were laying down ontop of eachother and I saw 4 feet out one side and 4 feet out the other side of the rear windows...
    one was standing, well crouched up with his torso out of the sunroof
    they were doing about 45mph down a main road...
    unreal.
    I have them stopped and another car pretty similar goes by me and they beep LOL... grrr
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped