Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

2 officers replace little boy's stolen bike

'WHEELIE' GOOD DAY!
    2 officers replace little boy's stolen bike
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007
    By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A 6-year-old Jersey City boy was punched in the face when robbers took his bike, but two thoughtful Hudson County sheriff's officers turned the boy's trauma into gladness when they surprised him with a brand new bike the next day.

Haytham Merimi still had a faint black and blue mark on his left cheek yesterday, but his smile outshined it.

"I like it a lot and I like the sheriff's officers a lot, too," said Haytham yesterday of Sgt. Jose Gonzalez, Officer Bruce Miller and his electric green-colored "Rhino."

On Saturday at 8:30 p.m. Haythem was in Lincoln Park with family members when a group of boys approached him. One of them punched him in the face and they took his bike. Haythem said he threw up as they left with his bike.

Miller and Officer Daniel River were dispatched and the boy pulled at Miller's heart strings. They said Haytham was brave during the interview and didn't cry, not at first anyway.

"He asked Miller to call him when his bike was found," said Gonzalez yesterday. "The officers were honest and said they didn't know if they would find it and the boy started crying. Miller told him he would try really hard to find the bike, and the boy hugged him."

Back at the Sheriff's Office Miller told Gonzalez what happened.

"I told Officer Miller, 'Let's buy the child a bike' and Miller said, 'I was thinking the same thing,'" Gonzalez said. "I told him to buy the bike and we'd split the cost. Beauty of it was it was the same kind of bike the boy had.

"We went to the boy's house (Sunday) and gave it to him. He was really happy and his father kept saying 'I can't believe this.'"

The boy's father, Hassan Merimi, came from Morocco seven years ago and he works in a Brooklyn deli. He said he took Haytham back to the park Sunday to show him it was OK. He said his son was very traumatized from the robbery but the bike turned that around.

"Their kindness amazed us because (Haytham) changed suddenly and he was better," the father said.

Gonzalez said he and Miller bought Haytham the bike for that exact reason.

"Anything that happens to a child, if it is something traumatic, I don't think they forget it," Gonzalez said. The sergeant said Haytham can remember that "Yeah, something bad happened, but those nice officers, they gave me a bike."

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Great story. That's the sort of thing I like to read.

Off to suggest a new idea for the next LEF contest.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's called 'going above and beyond the call of duty'. Officers Miller and Gonzales have the feel for this job that we all should. We are charged with being caretakers of the people. Although often we only wind up protecting them from themselves, every once in a while... the stars line up just right and we make a real and positive difference in the life of one or more of those we serve. In spite of all the black eyes we take, imagine this child, his family, and the community where they live waking up a little kinder and gentler, all because two cops cared enough to brighten it. No heroic deed or sacrifice necessary, just a gesture that speaks volumes about why they chose this profession.

Fellow LEO's, thank you all for caring enough to accept the risks, pick up the pieces, feel the losses, and bear the burdens. I have said it before, and I'll say it again: we are a special breed, let us cherish that and never forget it.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Great story and inspiration , sure wish the good things cops do would be told by news people more often .
    Cops are sworn to protect your a@@ not kiss it .

Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    It's called 'going above and beyond the call of duty'. Officers Miller and Gonzales have the feel for this job that we all should. We are charged with being caretakers of the people. Although often we only wind up protecting them from themselves, every once in a while... the stars line up just right and we make a real and positive difference in the life of one or more of those we serve. In spite of all the black eyes we take, imagine this child, his family, and the community where they live waking up a little kinder and gentler, all because two cops cared enough to brighten it. No heroic deed or sacrifice necessary, just a gesture that speaks volumes about why they chose this profession.

Fellow LEO's, thank you all for caring enough to accept the risks, pick up the pieces, feel the losses, and bear the burdens. I have said it before, and I'll say it again: we are a special breed, let us cherish that and never forget it.
    That's a wonderful post, countybear.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Coffee View Post
    Great story and inspiration , sure wish the good things cops do would be told by news people more often .

+1
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

foxxymomma50 is offline Master Officer

Nicely put! +1
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That's a wonderful post, countybear.
    Agreed. I'd rep you if it weren't for the DAMN "you must spread some rep around" message I get everytime I try to ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    What a great thing to read!! Yes, THIS is the stuff I wanna see on my news every night.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

deputy344 is offline Rookie
    Man, this story is awesome. It almost brings a tear to my eye. These two officers are great. Its nice to know that there are officers out there like that. What kind of scum would punch a 6 year old boy for his bicycle.
    Last edited by deputy344; 04-25-07 at 07:07 PM.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Great story, thanks for sharing
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

KaiGywer is online now *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Great job by the officers! They really made a difference in that kid's life
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to countybear again.
    I just don't get it. I haven't given CB, much less anyone else, rep in a very long time. Sorry, CB! Will you accept a and instead?

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    I just don't get it. I haven't given CB, much less anyone else, rep in a very long time. Sorry, CB! Will you accept a and instead?

From you? Absolutely. Thanks CB2

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information