Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO

Ham Sandwich = Hate Crime

I heard this on Boortz coming in to work and I had to see it with my own eyes to believe it. I thought it was a gag. Honestly, I'm not convinced this isn't some kind of joke. Either way, it's funny as hell. Only tragically so if it's real.Link to article.

A middle school student in Lewiston, Maine is being investigated by the police for a possible hate crime after he placed a bag containing a ham sandwich on a table where Somali students eat lunch. According to the school's superintendent, Leon Levesque, the student has been suspended, and more disciplinary action could follow pending the outcome of the investigation.

Muslims, who believe pork to be unclean and highly offensive, were reminded of a man who threw a pig's head into a mosque located in Lewiston last summer. "That ham sandwich in a bag where we couldn't even see might as well have been that pig's head," said one of the traumatized Somali students, "and that cafeteria might as well have been the most religious building for Muslims in the state of Maine."

According to Superintendent Levesque, "the school incident is being treated seriously as a hate incident." Police are currently investigating the matter alongside the Center for the Prevention of Hate Violence, who is also working with the school to create an anti-ham "response plan." [ROFL]

"We've got some work to do to turn this around and bring the school community back together again." Said Levesque, "These children have got to learn that ham is not a toy, and that there are consequences for being nonchalant about where you put your sandwich."

"Placing ham where Muslim students were eating as an awful thing," said Stephen Wessler, the executive director of the Center for Prevention of Hate Violence. "It's extraordinarily hurtful and degrading. They probably felt like they were back in Mogadishu starving and being shot at. No child, Muslim or normal, should have to endure touching a ham sandwich."

Wessler continued, "incidents like this that involve degrading language or conduct are often said by the perpetrator as a joke. But unfortunately we don't live in a world where young children try to be funny, we live in a society in which these types of actions always escalate into violence against minorities."

"If people think insulting Muslims with ham is okay, more degrading acts will follow. The Jews had to go through the same thing when the Nazis would force-feed them bacon; do we really want our schools to become concentration camps?" [Give me an effing break.]

Added Levesque, "the incident does not reflect the moral values of the school staff and students. We need to take a look at this and review how a careless act is degrading and causes hurt to other people. All our students should feel welcome in our schools, knowing that they are safe from attacks with ham, bacon, porkchops, or any other delicious meat that comes from pigs."
    According to Levesque, a letter has been sent home to parents to explain the incident and outline the school's response. The next step will be for Wessler to meet with the students to address the school's atmosphere, after which staff will discuss how to respond to future hate incidents, with emphasis on their prevention.

Said one of the students who witnessed the event, "I know the guy who put the sandwich there, he just wanted to be funny and see how those Somalis would react. I'm just glad that kid I beat up yesterday was white; I wouldn't want to be in that mess."

One of the victims, whose mother didn't want his name released, said "we didn't know what was in this bag. One of my friends reached inside it. It was a big ham steak. There were five of us at the table, all Somali. Right then, I could feel allah condemning me to burn for eternity for being within a 6.2 meter radius of ham, so yeah, it was a hate crime."

The boy said that he felt better after several students apologized for the incident and said that the kids who did it were jerks, "but for the rest of my life when I remember middle school, this will pop up right away," the boy said, "it's like I'm back in Somalia being shot at all over again."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    What a big steaming pile of horse crap.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

ohionarc is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Unfreaking Real!!!!

OhioNarc

TheBigO
    Somewhere in Ohio

"There will be no peace until they (terrorist) love their children more than they hate ours"

The opinions represented here are mine, they are not intended to in anyway represent my agency.....

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You've got to be shitting me! I don't know what's more ridiculous, the charge, or the article.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    that can't be real.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul

Okay I followed the link to the story and from reading the comments, it looks like the article is based on a true story but some of the quotes are satirical.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'm going to have a crispy bacon and pineapple pizza, followed by a nice, BIG piece of roasted pork loin, and I'm going to chew it with my mouth open. Just for them.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

AlDeputy is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Unf***ing believable.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    It was a big ham steak.
    I could feel allah condemning me to burn for eternity for being within a 6.2 meter radius of ham, so yeah, it was a hate crime."

well if you are going to burn for eternity might as well enjoy that big ham steak.
    if they are comparing it to being shot at then they must not have been really shot at.

i'm sick of hypersentive people and their junk. find something to real to complain about.
    Last edited by JLK; 04-24-07 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typing while angry

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    There is no fence here.

You may leave anytime we are too uncouth for you.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post

No child, Muslim or normal, should have to endure touching a ham sandwich."

"One of the victims, whose mother didn't want his name released, said "we didn't know what was in this bag. One of my friends reached inside it."

I could feel allah condemning me to burn for eternity for being within a 6.2 meter radius of ham, so yeah, it was a hate crime."[/B]

The boy said that he felt better after several students apologized for the incident and said that the kids who did it were jerks, "but for the rest of my life when I remember middle school, this will pop up right away," the boy said, "it's like I'm back in Somalia being shot at all over again."

The only thing that will come out of this is more hate and divide. When and where will this end?

It appears it was in a bag, well they are the ones that let the pork out of the bag so to speak. I am sure that each and everyone of them is in contact with pork several times in a normal day, especially at lunch time. There are dozens of other places that in normal everyday travels that one would be exposed to pork.

6.2 meter = 6200000000 nanometer
    6.2 meter = 20.341146 feet
    6.2 meter = 244.094 inches
    6.2 meter = 6.7804024496937885 yards
    6.2 meter = 0.0038525013918714705 miles

Oh woe is me, pulling ham out of a paper bag and seeing :ham: is equivalent to being shot at in Somalia. Give me a fucking break.

Pulling pork is not the answer. (ok well, oh never mind)

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggybank Cop View Post
    There is no fence here.

You may leave anytime we are too uncouth for you.

Like OMG I am going to burn in hell, your avatar is about 0.6096 meters from me

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    got to hate those rogue ham sandwiches. they just come out of no where and target innocent people. i hate ham sandwiches i must eat them all to save the world from them.
    "Be Polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Wtf!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I think the funniest part of the article is the "Anti-Ham Response Plan".

Being the sensitive and caring group that we are here at LEF, I think it's only appropriate that we also have an Anti-Ham Response Plan. So, from now on, whenever we encounter ham in our day to day routine, it is our job to dispose of it quickly- I suggest by using bread, lettuce, mustard, tomatoes, and maybe a pickle on the side.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I think the funniest part of the article is the "Anti-Ham Response Plan".

Being the sensitive and caring group that we are here at LEF, I think it's only appropriate that we also have an Anti-Ham Response Plan. So, from now on, whenever we encounter ham in our day to day routine, it is our job to dispose of it quickly- I suggest by using bread, lettuce, mustard, tomatoes, and maybe a pickle on the side.

Agreed, I think we need a task force.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I'm going to advocate for some strict new ham-control laws. First step, everyone will have to register their hams. There will be a 10-day waiting period before someone is allowed to buy a ham. And nobody, under any circumstances, will be allowed to carry their ham outside their home. It's time to end this "culture of pork" that's causing our children to be condemned to burn for eternity.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    i finally figured it out.
    pork the other WHITE meat.
    white=devil
    pork the devil meat.
    kill whitey

it stills taste good.
    Last edited by JLK; 04-25-07 at 02:26 AM. Reason: because i want to

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information