Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lynnz05 is offline Corporal

I think there's a problem with METH out here..

Meth Bust Nets 35 Arrests; 45 Indictments

Story Updated: Apr 24, 2007 at 11:13 PM CDT
    By Dawn Crawley

35 people have been arrested after a massive drug raid, allegedly involving methamphetamines, in the Mobridge area. Federal, state and local officials started the four hour long raid at 7 a.m. "I think it was a major effort that was put forth by a lot of different agencies and probably one of the biggest I have seen in South Dakota for quite some time," said Mobridge Chief of Police Mike Nehls.

The Mayor of Mobridge says he knew most of the people arrested on a first name basis and the effect on families in the community is devastating. "There were parents, there were fathers, there were mothers that were arrested here today. And your heart has to go out to those families. There is going to be children affected," said Mayor Taylor Oster.

Counseling services will be made available to families that are affected by the bust. People we talked to say they are shocked and surprised. "Not in this little town. I'm a resident here for the past seven months and I never heard of anything like that. Maybe one or two, it might be hearsay or something like that. I just heard about it from you just recently," said Denal Chipps.

But others may not feel the same. Mobridge city leaders say they are feeling pressure from some to clean up the city's growing drug problem.
    "The community has been complaining, I guess, to the council and to the Mayor and law enforcement officers here for the past couple of years that we have really not done much about our drug issues here in Mobridge," said Mayor Oster.

Those arrested will appear in court as early as Wednesday. 45 indictments were issued Tuesday. The Mobridge Chief of Police says there are still arrests to be made and they have a good idea where to find the alleged criminals.
    http://www.ksfy.com/news/local/7176176.html

**Update**

Additional arrests are expected today in the Mobridge area. 80 law enforcement officers from across the area arrested 35 people yesterday in connection with methamphetamine and other drugs.

Mobridge city leaders say their investigation started two years ago. The mayor says "The community has been complaining I guess to the council and to the mayor and law enforcement officers here for the past couple of years that we have really not done much about our drug issues here in Mobridge".

Officials say they have indicted 10 additional people.
    http://www.ksfy.com/news/local/7186471.html

AND IF THATS NOT ENOUGH METH

Extensive Meth Lab Discovered in Central Sioux Falls

Toxic chemicals and what police are calling an extensive meth lab.

That's what police say they found Wednesday morning just 300 feet from Patrick Henry Middle School in Sioux Falls. Employees from Mid-American Energy were at the house checking on a gas meter that may have been tampered with.

They noticed a suspicious smell and called police. The first office on the scene immediately suspected it was a meth lab and called for back-up.

After getting a search warrant, drug investigators suited up and went into the house on East 31st Street with guns drawn. It didn't take them long to find the source of the odor.

"It's pretty clear there is a fairly extensive lab in the basement," says Officer Loren McManus.

Police say they have a pretty good idea of at least one individual who's connected to the house.

"There were at least two subjects in this house when the natural gas company was here and these people have since left," McManus continued.

One neighbor said they've suspected something illegal was going on at the house for more than a year.
    http://www.ksfy.com/news/local/7191161.html

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Meth has been a growing problem for quite some time now and it's only getting worse. Nasty stuff...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Yup I know. It's just crazy, two big busts in 2 days...Sad

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Could be worse. You could be living out in the middle of no place in some state most people forget exists.

Never mind.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Haha, my point exactly. What I don't think most people understand is that first story, the 35 people they arrest, thats probably half of the population of that town.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnz05 View Post
    Yup I know. It's just crazy, two big busts in 2 days...Sad
    Sad that it's such a problem, yes. But score 2 for the good guys on this one, nice busts!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Meth Lab Suspect Appears in Court
    By Robert Wilson
    Two suspects are behind bars in connection with a suspected meth lab police found in a central Sioux Falls home Wednesday. The two suspects, a 37 year old man and a 40 year old woman were arrested Wednesday.

One was in court Thursday afternoon on a long list of drug charges. 37 year-old Brian Deneui is accused of operating the meth lab. Prosecutors asked he be held in jail on $50,000 bond. But the judge said that wasn't enough and upped it to $75,000.

Even as police were pulling meth related items out of a Sioux Falls home, they started looking at suspects. The first one, Laurie Jarrott, was arrested at a Sioux Falls home on drug possession charges.

Sioux Falls Police Department Public Information Officer Loren McManus says, "Ultimately they ended up getting a search warrant for her purse, and that's when they found the controlled substance. The Klonopin and the meth as well as the drug paraphernalia."

Klonopin is a prescription drug. It's not clear how it relates to the case. It also wasn't clear how she was connected to the meth lab.

Brian Deneui was arrested at his father's home in Humboldt. His charges include possession, manufacture and distribution of a controlled substance near a school.

McManus told reporters, "our narcotics detectives made contact with him and brought him down and talked with him, and at the end of that conversation he was lodged at the jail."

That's where he remains. After court, a friend of Deneui's told KSFY she's in a real bind because of his arrest. Deneui is her realtor, and she's supposed to close on a home purchase next week.

http://www.ksfy.com/news/7211406.html

They busted another one in Sioux Falls today. State of South Dakota 3, Meth Heads 0. Thats the score for one week!
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

Thread Information