Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking Texas Governor: Allow Guns in Schools!!!

http://www.star-telegram.com/189/story/86649.html

Perry: Allow concealed handguns anywhere in Texas

By JAY ROOT
    jroot@star-telegram.com

AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry, mulling ways to stop the kind of murderous rampages that recently left 33 dead on a college campus in Virginia, said Monday there’s one sure-fire solution he likes: allow Texans to take their concealed handguns anywhere.

Period.

Perry said he opposes any concealed gun-toting restrictions at all — whether it’s in a hospital, a public school, a beer joint or even the local courthouse.

“The last time I checked, putting a sign up that says 'Don’t bring your weapons in here,' someone who has ill intent on their mind — they could care less," Perry told reporters. “I think it makes sense for Texans to be able to protect themselves from deranged individuals, whether they're in church or whether on a college campus or wherever."

As reporters began clicking off a list of places where concealed permit holders face restrictions, Perry cut off the questioning and made it clear that he meant anywhere at all.

Under current law, secured airport areas, hospitals, courthouses, bars, churches and schools are among the places where weapons are or can be banned, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

People entering federal courts in Texas are routinely required to leave even their cell phones behind.

“Let me cover it right here," Perry said. “I think a person ought to be able to carry their weapons with them anywhere in this state if they are licensed and they have gone through the training. The idea that you’re going to exempt them from a particular place is non-sense to me."

State Rep. Lon Burnam, D-Fort Worth, called Perry’s proposal “a terrible idea."

“Anybody has a right to tell somebody that they can’t bring their handgun into their place of business," Burnam said. “I think the governor is just overreaching in a counterproductive way and it's kind of typical (of the) governor — shoot from the hip, literally and figuratively."

Perry made the remarks at a news conference after meeting with Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt to discuss ways to prevent mass shootings and enhance school safety. The discussion stems from President Bush’s drive to find solutions to such tragedies in the wake of the carnage at Virginia Tech University.

About 260,000 Texans, who have undergone mandatory background check and training, are licensed to carry a concealed weapon, records show. In the last fiscal year, 180 licenses were revoked and 493 were suspended for unknown reasons, records show.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post

Perry said he opposes any concealed gun-toting restrictions at all — whether it’s a beer joint or even the local courthouse.
    I strongly disagree with this section. I believe that weapons and alcohol NEVER EVER MIX. I've seen first hand what happens when someone tries to mix them and it isn't pretty. I don't care what kind of training you go through to get a CWP, I do not believe that someone would act completely responsible with alcohol in their system. I know I wouldn't pick up a gun after drinking

As for the courthouses...New Hampshire courthouses say that concealed carry is permitted if the judge allows, but I don't think a gun should be allowed in there either. Court officers, atleast in NH, carried sidearms. Thats enough protection in my opinion.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

I agree with the beer joints only if the CHL holder isn't drinking...

It's already a separate Texas law that you cannot be drinking while carrying a firearm - There is not even a blood concentration spelled out - Anything above zero is an offense.

There have been many times when I and a bunch of my co-workers went to the Fox & Hound for lunch, and never had a drink. It's stupid to leave our guns in the car to get stolen.

213th, you NEVER have enough protection in a courthouse - The attack on the Tyler courthouse proved that. In addition, a lot of the bailiffs I've seen are old and slow.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 05-01-07 at 02:50 AM.

(\__/)

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I agree with the beer joints only if the CHL holder isn't drinking...

It's already a separate Texas law that you cannot be drinking while carrying a firearm - There is not even a blood concentration spelled out - Anything above zero is an offense.

There have been many times when I and a bunch of my co-workers went to the Fox & Hound for lunch, and never had a drink. It's stupid to leave our guns in the car to get stolen.

213th, you NEVER have enough protection in a courthouse - The attack on the Tyler courthouse proved that. In addition, a lot of the bailiffs I've seen are old and slow.
    I agree that alot of bailiffs are older. I've sat in on a lot of court procedings, just observing and to support a victim. Not to often tho are there people in the courtroom that are not related to either the victim or the defendant, atleast, not in the procedings I were in. I'd be leery of allowing someone with emotional attachment to the court procedings to carry a weapon.
    Last edited by 213th; 05-01-07 at 04:15 AM.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    From a different culture this strikes me as ridiculous. I'd say definitely no, to Courts and schools/colleges etc. The Bar owner should be the one to decide if weapons are permitted inside or not.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I agree that alcohol and firearms don't mix. In Louisiana it is a felony to possess a firearm at an alcoholic beverage outlet. This includes the parking lot and, you guessed it, your vehicle. I do agrre with the rest of Gov. Perry's views. I've always believed that if criminals had a reason to believe that there victims would defend themselves they would think twice before commiting the act. As it stands know all they have to figur out is " How long is it going to take before the Police get here " and " How many people can I kill before they do"

I wish more of our "nations leaders" felt the same way as Gov. Perry, unfortunatly, even the one's that do are too chicken sh!t to admit it.

Why I'm at it " Gov. Perry 2008"

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Allowing guns in bars won't cause shootings anymore than than bars having parking lots will cause drunk driving. I can carry my gun in bars here (and occasionally have), and I've never heard of any problems with guns in bars.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    From a different culture this strikes me as ridiculous. I'd say definitely no, to Courts and schools/colleges etc. The Bar owner should be the one to decide if weapons are permitted inside or not.
    And Mr Cho or whatever the assholes name was at VTech agrees.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

I don't think Perry is proposing to take the Bar Owner (or any other property owner) out of the loop. I think he's just talking about the default case.

Any property owner or store owner can post a 30.06 sign on his property, and that makes it illegal for us to carry there. It's basically like a Criminal Trespass on property that's posted.

(\__/)

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggybank Cop View Post
    And Mr Cho or whatever the assholes name was at VTech agrees.

I'll agree that criminals/nutters don't take any notice of the laws, but I think that having hundreds of extra weapons at any shooting incident is not a good thing. It must also make the job of the first Responders harder to decide on the action.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Thread Information