Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Gas Station Owner Told to Raise Prices

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Gas Station Owner Told to Raise Prices

MERRILL, Wis. -- A service station that offered discounted gas to senior citizens and people supporting youth sports has been ordered by the state to raise its prices. Center City BP owner Raj Bhandari has been offering senior citizens a 2 cent per gallon price break and discount cards that let sports boosters pay 3 cents less per gallon.

But the state Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection says those deals are too good: They violate Wisconsin's Unfair Sales Act, which requires stations to sell gas for about 9.2 percent more than the wholesale price.

Bhandari said he received a letter from the state auditor in late April saying the state would sue him if he did not raise his prices. The state could penalize him for each discounted gallon he sold, with the fine determined by a judge.

Bhandari, who bought the station in May 2006, said he worries customers will think he stopped the discounts because he wants to make more money. About 10 percent of his customers had used the discount cards.

Dale Van Camp of Merrill said he bought a $50 card to support the local youth hockey program. It would have saved him about $100 per year on gas, he said.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hmm... who do you turn to when the State is the one guilty of price fixing?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Richard Nixon? Jimmy Carter? Hugo Chavez?

But I repeat myself.

Sadly, I don't think the public has figured out price fixing doesn't work. In this bright red state I live in I'm hearing calls for nationalizing the oil companies over this little price bump. It's terrifying, really, what the sheeple will advocate for their own misery.

I hope gas hits $4 a gallon this summer. That psychological mark should be sufficient to get innovation rolling. In the short run - harsh. In the long run - great. In the mid run - we'll see. That's the market.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BEB View Post
    Richard Nixon? Jimmy Carter? Hugo Chavez?

But I repeat myself.

Sadly, I don't think the public has figured out price fixing doesn't work. In this bright red state I live in I'm hearing calls for nationalizing the oil companies over this little price bump. It's terrifying, really, what the sheeple will advocate for their own misery.

I hope gas hits $4 a gallon this summer. That psychological mark should be sufficient to get innovation rolling. In the short run - harsh. In the long run - great. In the mid run - we'll see. That's the market.

Initially, your lasiez faire attitiude kind of pissed me off. After taking a moment to think though, you may be right. I don't agree that this is a "little price bump", but everything else is pretty much right on.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thats fucked up.

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    That's just not right!

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Hmm... who do you turn to when the State is the one guilty of price fixing?
    The feds?

If someone wants to make 8% profit (or whatever) on his product, he should be allowed to do so, or 5% or 15%, or whatever he wants to charge. Its his business.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The companies don't want anything cutting into their "record profits" and neither does the state. Great. The overall message is "screw the consumer at all costs."
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

blackcamaro8895 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Wow. Here in Nelsonville last week, it was up to $3.19. Berlin it was $3.25. My brother who is in the AF in Fairfield, California, said it was $4.00. What a wonderful world. Especially since i eat less now so i can afford gas. Ive lost five pounds in the last couple weeks.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by BEB View Post
    \

Isn't that what they said about the 3/gal mark though?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    The feds?

If someone wants to make 8% profit (or whatever) on his product, he should be allowed to do so, or 5% or 15%, or whatever he wants to charge. Its his business.
    Yeah, George W. Bush is a renowned enemy of the oil business. I'm sure he'd put them in his place.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Yeah, George W. Bush is a renowned enemy of the oil business. I'm sure he'd put them in his place.
    What do you think old G.W. should do about the situation, Rhino?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Verified LEO
    Im gonna dump some Jack Daniels in my gas tank and see what happens.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro8895 View Post
    Im gonna dump some Jack Daniels in my gas tank and see what happens.
    That is a waste. That car needs moonshine. White lightning.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    Isn't that what they said about the 3/gal mark though?
    SUV sales tanked after the first $3 gas.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100301657.html
    Sales of Detroit trucks stalled in September as spiking gas prices sped up a consumer shift toward more fuel-efficient vehicles.

In the first look at sales since Hurricane Katrina drove gasoline pump prices to $3 a gallon and beyond, sales of passenger cars grew last month while large, fuel-thirsty sport-utility vehicles languished. Overall, industry sales in September slid 7.6 percent from a year ago.
    But people still like SUVs even if they can't afford to feed them. Solution? Sell SUVs people can afford to feed.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/09/suv...l_0312suv.html
    The arrival of such new, car-like "crossover" SUVs as Ford's Edge, Lincoln's MKX, GMC's Acadia and Saturn's Outlook are helping even the scales a bit even perhaps tipping them back toward good news for SUV manufacturers.

GM reported in a recent statement that the Acadia and Outlook "drove a 97% retail increase in the mid-crossover segment" for the company in February, compared with that time the year before. Such other new SUVs as Jeep's redesigned Wrangler have also been well received.
    And while the Prius is far from my favorite car in factory form, hybrid SUVs are still practical and becoming increasingly available. I see six listed here, all of which are pushing 30mpg. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs_SUVs.shtml

I would say the market is still reacting to $3 gas from 2005. Though at times its frustratingly slow.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    That is a waste. That car needs moonshine. White lightning.
    Woo hoo!!!! Thanks for the advice!!!!

Verified LEO
    What do you think old G.W. should do about the situation, Rhino?
    Well, the federal government should tell the state government that the station owner, as a free citizen of this country, should have the right to charge whatever he wants to charge for gas. If he takes a loss after paying overhead, so be it. It's called building a customer base.

Fat chance of that happening, though.

For those who think I'm sounding hypocritical being a Libertarian and all, I believe the state is impeding on that man's right to partake in a free market economy- and on issues like that, then I'm all for the federal government stepping in.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Well, the federal government should tell the state government that the station owner, as a free citizen of this country, should have the right to charge whatever he wants to charge for gas. If he takes a loss after paying overhead, so be it. It's called building a customer base.

Fat chance of that happening, though.

For those who think I'm sounding hypocritical being a Libertarian and all, I believe the state is impeding on that man's right to partake in a free market economy- and on issues like that, then I'm all for the federal government stepping in.
    As much as I agree with you on this issue, (see my earlier post), the Fed stepping in on a State's regulation of pricing might be opening a can of worms.

As much as the business owner has the right to participate in a free market economy, he also has the right to relocate his business to a State that doesn't participate in pricing regulation. Thoughts?
    Last edited by countybear; 05-09-07 at 09:38 PM.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    The FTC has a nice letter from 2003 on their website saying how bad the act is...
    http://www.ftc.gov/be/v030015.shtm

Seems this act is a depression era holdover like others still in effect in a number of states. BTW, 6% for our Louisiana friends, though it seems to be going unenforced. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_n13618486

I found a few articles from the same time frame which advocated repealing it then. Perhaps this case will cause enough of an stir to finally get it repealed.

Verified LEO
    As much as the business owner has the right to participate in a free market economy, he also has the right to relocate his business to a State that doesn't participate in pricing regulation. Thoughts?
    The only way I'll agree to that statement, is if the state collectively wants such a ridiculous law on the books. I seriously doubt it, though. It's clearly a law designed to make the politicians fatter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information