Welcome to the APBWeb.
    conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO

Piracy and kidnapping...

Amazes me we still deal with this. And I am not sure this could have been more buried in the news. As we scratch our butts and get all jiteery with some crap about Cheney or what the Queen really meant by her witty remarks, these idiots are snatching Americans to show how big and bad they are. I sincerely hope they get a special visit from a SEAL group or Recon.

Four U.S. oil workers kidnapped in Nigeria

LAGOS (Reuters) - Heavily armed gunmen kidnapped four U.S. oil workers from a barge off the Nigerian coast on Wednesday as violence flared after disputed elections in the world's eighth largest oil exporter. It was the tenth attack on Western oil facilities in nine days in the Niger Delta, home to Africa's biggest oil industry, in the wake of April's general elections which were condemned by observers as fraudulent.Some militants have stepped up attacks to make clear that they are unimpressed by the looming change in government, despite the election of a state governor from the delta as vice president.Others may be taking advantage of a reduction in security after the polls to resume their criminal pursuits, analysts say.

"The Global Cheyenne, a construction barge working in the Okan field, was attacked by unknown armed persons in speed boats. Four expatriate American hostages were taken from the vessel and some government security forces suffered injuries during the attack," U.S. oil company Chevron said in a statement.No group has claimed responsibility for the latest attack.

The barge, operated by U.S. contractor Global Industries, was laying pipelines for the U.S. giant and oil supplies were unaffected. Chevron ships about 160,000 barrels per day (bpd) from the nearby Escravos terminal.

On Tuesday, rebels blew up three oil pipelines in the delta, forcing Italian oil firm Eni to halt output of 150,000 bpd feeding its Brass export terminal, a source at Eni said.

A tanker berthed at the terminal on Wednesday to load crude oil kept in storage, but it was unclear if the pipelines could be repaired in time for the next loading due on Saturday.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) said it bombed the pipelines to embarrass President Olusegun Obasanjo in his last days in office. The group denied responsibility for kidnapping the Americans.
    MORE ATTACKS

The MEND, whose 18-month campaign of attacks has forced the closure of almost a third of Nigeria's oil capacity, has threatened to launch more before Obasanjo steps down for president-elect Umaru Yar'Adua on May 29.

Yar'Adua picked Goodluck Jonathan, the governor of Bayelsa State in the delta, as his running mate in an bid to ease tensions in the region. But MEND has dismissed the overture.

"Jonathan's selection as vice-president of Nigeria is of no consequence to us unless it is accompanied by a fulfillment of all conditions we have previously given," MEND's spokesman, who uses the pseudonym Jomo Gbomo, said in an e-mail last week.

The MEND says it is fighting for local control over the delta's oil wealth but the majority of kidnappings are carried out by criminal gangs seeking cash.

The MEND has told oil workers to leave the region and vowed to bring Nigerian exports to a complete halt to press its case for more autonomy from the central government.

It also wants the release of two jailed leaders from the delta and $1.5 billion compensation to villages for decades of oil spills.

But there are many other armed groups staging similar attacks and kidnapping foreign workers in the delta, a maze of mangrove-lined creeks where most people live in poverty despite being home to Africa's largest oil reserves.

About 100 foreigners have been abducted this year but most were released after their employers illegally paid ransoms.

Three South Koreans and eight Filipinos were freed on Tuesday after five days. The abduction of the U.S. oil workers takes the total number of foreigners now in captivity to 13.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Arrrgh !!

"Stupid should hurt."

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Has ANYTHING good EVER come out of Nigeria??
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Um... lemme' think... well, there was that... um.. no.. hey, what about... um.. nah, guess not....

No.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Hakeem Olajuwon

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No doubt, send in the special ops.

And shit, there goes the gas prices again....
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BEB View Post
    Hakeem Olajuwan
    Who was at least smart enough to get his ass outta there.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information