Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Officer stabbed in police station

Last Updated: Sunday, 13 May 2007, 16:54 GMT 17:54 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Officer stabbed in police station
    A police constable has been stabbed while working behind the front counter of a north London police station, said Scotland Yard.
    The policeman was injured at Wood Green Police Station, in Wood Green, at about 0315 GMT on Sunday.

He was taken to a north London hospital where he is in a stable condition.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said a 15-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the attack. He is being held at a north London police station.

'Shiny complexion'

Police said the attacker jumped over the front counter of the police station before stabbing the officer once in the abdomen. He then fled.

Officers are appealing for witnesses and information and are keen to speak to a man of about 6ft with "a shiny complexion" and a goatee beard who was spotted standing under a tree opposite the police station just before the attack.

He was wearing a blue top with a thin vertical stripe down its front.

They also want to trace a man, aged about 30, who came into the station to enquire about a family member five minutes before the stabbing.

They believe he might have seen the suspect entering or leaving the building.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6651729.stm

Very much WTF? I thought most counters had glass or screens like a bank these days.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    Very much WTF? I thought most counters had glass or screens like a bank these days.

Not at our dept they dont. Wev'e tried to get them to no avail.

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    Scary. Not even safe at the police station. Creepies and criminals everywhere. I wonder what the motive would have been...
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

me again is offline Is it pronounced whore, ho or whoooaaa?
    If the British officer was armed with a gun, then he could have shot the suspect's ass. It's time to arm all British cops. Being unarmed is stupid, espicially in a knife fight.

Quote Originally Posted by me again View Post
    If the British officer was armed with a gun, then he could have shot the suspect's ass. It's time to arm all British cops. Being unarmed is stupid, espicially in a knife fight.
    Most of the staff working in Police stations be they civilians or constables don't have or don't carry batons and other PPE so I doubt that even if we were all carrying firearms this officers would have had his to hand.

It's possible that the counter staff at stations without screens are an easy target when compared to street officers who carry PPE and wear body armour.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Wood Green Police Station is an old Victorian Police Station and just has a front counter. No screens etc. It was my Divisional Station when I was foot duty at Tottenham.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by me again View Post
    I agree. There's plenty of stories on this board alone (not to mention many more that don't get posted here) to validate arming those guys.

Verified LEO
    But when the Police Federation ( a national representative body, like a union but without the powers) held a referendum, the vast majority of police officers said they did not want to be armed. And I'd agree with that vote.

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    But when the Police Federation ( a national representative body, like a union but without the powers) held a referendum, the vast majority of police officers said they did not want to be armed. And I'd agree with that vote.
    To each their own. If the vast majority of british LEO's don't want a gun, then that's their choice. I personally think it's absolutely psychotic, and the minute I am told I can't have a gun on duty, is the minute I turn in my badge and seek other employment where suicide is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531 View Post
    To each their own. If the vast majority of british LEO's don't want a gun, then that's their choice. I personally think it's absolutely psychotic, and the minute I am told I can't have a gun on duty, is the minute I turn in my badge and seek other employment where suicide is not required.
    Some of them have said the same about being made to carry a firearm.

Some said it about me being allowed to carry one as well

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    Some of them have said the same about being made to carry a firearm.

Some said it about me being allowed to carry one as well

lol.

I dont understand why any LEO would consider carrying a firearm to be suicide. At least then when you go to an armed call, you have at least a chance........ Oh well, to each their own.

Verified LEO
    lol.

I dont understand why any LEO would consider carrying a firearm to be suicide. At least then when you go to an armed call, you have at least a chance........ Oh well, to each their own.
    Because if it is known to be an armed call, then armed police are sent to deal with it, but armed calls are rare. And a lot of police work here involves fights ouside pubs, clubs etc. and Officers fear being disarmed during the struggle. It would also need a complete change in the police mind set on how they police.

Verified LEO
    Because if it is known to be an armed call, then armed police are sent to deal with it, but armed calls are rare. And a lot of police work here involves fights ouside pubs, clubs etc. and Officers fear being disarmed during the struggle. It would also need a complete change in the police mind set on how they police.
    The disarming issue can be handled with a good level 3 retention holster and retention training. Our current holsters were tried out by our SWAT team who took turns trying their best to remove the officers gun. Due to the positioning of the retention switches that have to be pushed and how the gun has to be taken out, my belt is coming off my waist before the gun comes out of the holster. Add in regular retention training, and this gun is not coming out unless I want it to.

I have no idea of what the police mindset is over in your neck of the woods, so, I'll take your word on it.

Verified LEO
    I agree on the holster thing, however policing single manned is common, as is dealing with groups of people at the same time. That is when most feel they could be over powered and disarmed. Even drawing the weapon requires a report here. As has been said many times on this forum, different culture.

Verified LEO
    I agree on the holster thing, however policing single manned is common, as is dealing with groups of people at the same time. That is when most feel they could be over powered and disarmed. Even drawing the weapon requires a report here. As has been said many times on this forum, different culture.
    Different culture indeed.

There are between 6-10 deputy's on my shift and we cover between 600-700 square miles of area, urban and rural. Policing single manned is an everyday thing for us and dealing with large crowds at times, and we do it without thinking about it.

Report for drawing a gun? jeez, anal. lol. With us unless I discharge it, no report. Can't tell you how many time's I've had to draw my handgun and not had to report it. Very different culture indeed.

Verified LEO
    Different culture indeed.

Policing single manned is an everyday thing for us and dealing with large crowds at times, and we do it without thinking about it.

Of course you do. They know you'll shoot the shit out of them.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    That is upsetting.You never know. We have bullet proof glass and secure doors that only we can open if we recognize..Sheriff here wants his dispatchers safe.

True enough. Safe enough he'll fire a deputy for a dispatcher.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Verified LEO
    Of course you do. They know you'll shoot the shit out of them.

Exactly.

Verified LEO
    Exactly.
    +1....... In a confrontation against a large crowd sometimes that handgun I carry IS the equalizer that prevents injuries because they know if I am out numbered and a threat arises from the group I have 40 rounds (3 mags of 13 per mag and 1 in the chamber) of .45 cal ammo to my disposal (not counting the back up gun hidden away).

Now they have to decide which 40 guys (if there are that many) want to get in line first........

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    +1....... In a confrontation against a large crowd sometimes that handgun I carry IS the equalizer that prevents injuries because they know if I am out numbered and a threat arises from the group I have 40 rounds (3 mags of 13 per mag and 1 in the chamber) of .45 cal ammo to my disposal (not counting the back up gun hidden away).

Now they have to decide which 40 guys (if there are that many) want to get in line first........
    And therein is the difference in culture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information