Marine Shoots Cop-Killer

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18880

Corporal Bruce McKay
    End of Watch: May 11, 2007

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art..._deadly_in_nh/

Feud turned deadly in N.H.
    Passerby guns down police officer's killer
    By Michael Levenson and John M Guilfoil, Globe Correspondent | May 13, 2007

FRANCONIA, N.H. -- New Hampshire authorities said yesterday that they will not press charges against a former Marine who stepped into a deadly shooting and killed a 24-year-old high school dropout who had moments earlier fatally shot a police officer.

The former Marine, Gregory W. Floyd, 49, was driving with his son along Route 116 in Franconia on Friday night when he saw Liko Kenney, 24, shoot Franconia Police Corporal Bruce McKay, 48, four times in the torso. After Kenney drove his Toyota Celica over McKay as the officer lay on the ground, Floyd grabbed the officer's service weapon and shot and killed Kenney.

Authorities said the double shooting was the bloody climax of a long-simmering feud between McKay, a 12-year-veteran of the three-member department, and Kenney, a cousin of World Cup champion skier Bode Miller.

In 2003, Kenney was convicted of assaulting McKay, authorities said. Kenney had contended that McKay had assaulted him, breaking his jaw and leaving him in a coma, according to Bode Miller's father, Woody.

"It was a bad mixture waiting to happen," said Connie McKenzie , a nurse who said she had tried to ad minister CPR to McKay on the lawn in front of her 18th-century farmhouse on Route 116. "They hated each other."

New Hampshire's attorney general, Kelly A. Ayotte, said Floyd will not face charges because he was justified in using deadly force.

"Based on the results of the investigation, our conclusion is that Gregory Floyd's actions were justified based upon dangerous circumstances confronted with and efforts to assist McKay," Ayotte said at a news conference in Concord.

Captain Russell Conte of the New Hampshire State Police condemned the slaying of McKay, a New York native who had a 9-year-old daughter, Courtney, and in June was to marry his fiancée, who has a 14-year-old daughter, Kylea.

"Something this egregious affects everyone in law enforcement, and it is the ultimate act of defiance for someone to shoot a police officer when he's doing his duties," Conte said.

The attack unfolded Friday at about 6:30 p.m. after McKay stopped Kenney for speeding on Route 116, a two-lane country road dotted with wooden barns in this rugged, picturesque town 80 miles north of Concord.

Neighbors said Kenney was driving home from his job at a market in nearby Littleton with a friend, identified by authorities as Caleb Macaulay, 21. Kenney told McKay to "get another officer," and then he sped off, according to Ayotte. McKay gave chase in his cruiser, caught Kenney about a mile and a half down the road, and stopped his car in front of Kenney's car, forcing Kenney to stop. McKay then sprayed Kenney with OC spray, an irritant similar to pepper spray, and backed away from the vehicle, Ayotte said.

Kenney pulled out a .45-caliber handgun and shot McKay four times. As McKay stumbled across the road, bleeding, Kenney ran his vehicle over the dying officer, Ayotte said.

Floyd, who had been driving by in a Chevrolet Tahoe with his son, also named Gregory P. Floyd, saw the entire scene, Ayotte said. A video camera in McKay's cruiser also recorded the shooting, Ayotte said.

The elder Floyd drove his Tahoe into a spot between McKay and Kenney as a shield and told his son, who is in his late teens, to run to the officer's cruiser and radio for help.

The elder Floyd picked up McKay's gun from the ground and ordered Kenney to drop his weapon. Kenney refused, and Floyd saw Kenney appear to be reloading, Conte said. Floyd then shot and killed Kenney, Conte said.

The slayings brought to light a deep history of tensions between members of the Kenney family and McKay. In 2003, Kenney had challenged the assault charge, alleging that McKay had assaulted him and broken his jaw, Woody Miller said. But Kenney lost the case -- officials yesterday were unable to say what his punishment was -- because there were no witnesses to corroborate his account, Woody Miller said.

After the case, police had agreed that if McKay ever stopped Kenney, Kenney could request that another officer come to the scene, Woody Miller said. Bode Miller had also had confrontations with McKay, and had gone to court in 2005 after McKay ticketed him for driving 83 miles per hour in a 40- mile-per-hour zone. Bode Miller told Sports Illustrated at the time that he wanted "to try to get my fine reduced and to antagonize McKay."

The shootings reverberated throughout Franconia yesterday, where the American flag outside the white clapboard Town Hall was lowered to half-staff.

Kenney lived alone in a cabin built by his father in the woodlands off Route 116, just over the border in neighboring Easton. He raised chickens and turkeys and liked to ride his all-terrain vehicle, said his uncle, Bill Kenney.

The uncle said Kenney " had a rough life, a tough background, but it seemed like he was in the process of changing these past few weeks."

"I don't know what triggered that, but basically he's the type of guy that's an independent-minded fella. He doesn't buy people telling him what to do, maybe a little stubborn," Bill Kenney said yesterday . "He's basically a good-hearted kid. He'd had some trouble in his past and his upbringing as so many young people do, and he's a Kenney, and it's a family thing. We've been around here for hundreds of years basically . . . he's as native as you can get."

At Town Hall, about 20 residents gathered yesterday afternoon to mourn the death of McKay.

"He was just a nice guy," said Sally Small, the town administrative assistant. "Obviously he and Liko Kenney had issues, but there were just as many people who thought he was very professional. He was usually the officer who would prosecute cases at the court. He did his job."

Robert Thibault, town clerk in Easton and a former selectman, said he knows Floyd because Floyd had stopped into the town offices to have his truck registered. "He seems like a nice guy," said Thibault. "I'm glad somebody did something to try to stop Liko. It was a pretty brave thing to do. Unfortunately it was too late."

Steven Heath, owner of Franconia Village Store on Main Street, said Floyd walked into his shop yesterday at about 1:30 p.m., looking for copies of local newspapers.

Floyd was dressed in a T-shirt and shorts and using a cane. "He had a slight limp," Heath said.

Floyd asked the clerk for the newspapers, Heath said, and when she told him they were all sold out, he replied, "I'm the person who shot the kid."

John Guilfoil reported from Concord, N.H. Tracy Jan and Christine McConville of the Globe staff and Globe correspondents Danielle Capalbo and Stephanie Peter contributed to this report. Michael Levenson can be reached at mlevenson@globe.com.

© Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.
    To call this the result of a "feud" is ridiculous. There are a few "repeat customers" in my patrol area. AKA mutts, who I know and have arrested on multiple occassions. The fact that this savage was convicted of assaulting a police officer and was resisting so much that his jaw was broken in the fight, hardly shows that the officer was prejudiced against the offender.

THANK YOU, GREG FLOYD, the Marine who did the right thing. He is truely a hero. He and his son risked their lives to protect the fallen officer and detain the killer. Ultimately the suspects violent actions were his own downfall and the Marine justifiably shot him. Hopefully if any of us are in trouble an upstanding citizen will at least call for help if not jump into the fight with us.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I've always said Marines are crazy. This one is a good kinda crazy and he deserves a medal. Thanks Marine!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    If Kenney had previous convictions why did he have a firearm ? was it legally held ?

Good show by Mr Floyd I hope he gets some recognition for his compassionate and brave actions. Also his marksmanship skills appear to have come in handy thanks to the USMC.

pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO
    Semper Fi, Floyd!

And my condolences to the McKay family...

I'm having similar issues with an individual. He has filed 2 complaints against me. And the guy is in the US Navy! It's the Marmo-Braswell child custody situation all over again but with different characters.

The Navy here in Ventura county has gotten some bad publicity because they tried to "turf" their problems to other agencies, such as Ventura PD and Ventura SO. Now, 4 sailors are in jail facing murder charges because the Navy doesn't do their job.

It's hit the publication Navy Times twice since they murdered Marmo in Dec 2006. It's a shame on the Navy and Navy law enforcement.

Searching for Evil and the Perfect donut (Love that book)

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
    -Batman Begins

There are gains for all our losses
    There are balms for all our pain
    But, when youth, the dream, departs
    It takes something from our hearts
    And it never comes again

"Captain, it is I Ensign Pulver. I just threw your damn palm tree overboard. Now, what's all this crap about no movie tonight?" -Ens Pulver in Mister Roberts

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United State Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    If Kenney had previous convictions why did he have a firearm ? was it legally held ?
    Surely Dave, you don't mean to imply that it's possible that a criminal manage to get a hold of guns here in the US, despite all these safe gun laws, do you?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    “Liko Kenney, 24, shoot Franconia Police Corporal Bruce McKay, 48, four times in the torso.”

Sounds like the cop was not wearing a vest.

That would be even sadder.

Oh and by the way, Mr. Folyd, Semper Fi, Mac!

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bode Miller, who had bailed his cousin out of jail once, was on his way home to Franconia, his father said. In 2005, Bode Miller was fined $250 for going 83 mph in a 40 mph zone in his hometown of Franconia. According to an article published on Sports Illustrated's Web site, SI.com, Miller said he chose to contest the ticket "to try to get my fine reduced and to antagonize McKay."

Sounds like attitude runs in the family.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Lizzy is offline Rookie
    Only in the 'Live Free or Die State' could something like this happen.
    Thank you Mr. FLoyd for saving the tax payers a fortune.
    Go Marine!!!!

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    Bode Miller has always been a dick. I see it's a family trait.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I hope Kenney's not in hell, I hope he's not anywhere. I hope his soul just evaporated into oblivion.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggybank Cop View Post
    “Liko Kenney, 24, shoot Franconia Police Corporal Bruce McKay, 48, four times in the torso.”

Sounds like the cop was not wearing a vest.

Thats pretty common in small towns. When I was with a PD size of 3 they thought I was nuts suiting up everynight. They always said you don't have to wear it just have it with you! Screw that, I'd rather be hot and not need it the need it and not have it.

By the way thanks for the re-post this one is more informative
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    New Hampshire's attorney general, Kelly A. Ayotte, said Floyd will not face charges because he was justified in using deadly force.

i am so glad to hear there is a definate judicial stand... about time some judge has balls and doesn't pass the buck

I am thankful to that Marine.

I am sad for the officers friends and family.

makes me sort of happy to say I grew up in NH lol
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage