Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Father leaves toddler in car overnight

Tot safe after night trapped in car

Monday, May 14, 2007
    BY NAWAL QAROONI AND CLAIRE HEININGER
    Star-Ledger Staff

Two-year-old Adonis Ribott started the night as the fawned-over birthday boy at a party in his honor. He ended it trapped inside a car alone.

The Clifton boy was found dehydrated but safe yesterday morning, nearly nine hours after his father parked his car at an auto body shop and unknowingly left the toddler in the back seat overnight, police said.

Police said the father, Danny Ribot, 32, was charged with endangering the welfare of a child following a bizarre sequence of events that sent the 2-year-old to the hospital and Ribot to jail.

"He loves his son. They're inseparable," said Ribot's mother, Agustina Ribott, who shares her Clifton home with her son and grandson. "This really hasn't hit me yet."

The toddler's ordeal began innocently enough, with a birthday party Saturday night in Paterson, near the home of his mother, Luz Marie Ramos, police said.

As the celebration came to a close at about 2 a.m. Sunday, Ramos, 20, walked her son and Ribot out to Ribot's 2001 black Lexus, strapping the boy in a car seat and saying goodnight, police said.

But instead of driving his son back to the family home in Clifton, Ribot parked at an auto body shop about a half-mile away, just over the Passaic border.

Leaving Adonis inside the car, he walked the rest of the way to the house, and, realizing he couldn't find his keys, pushed the doorbell until he woke his mother.

"I said, 'Why are you ringing the bell?'" said Agustina Ribott, who spells her last name differently than her son's, but the same as her grandson. "I said, 'Where did you leave the car?' I said, 'Where's the baby?' He smiled and just went upstairs. I figured maybe the baby's with his mama."

But when Ribot awoke at about 11 a.m. yesterday, he was stunned that the boy was not sleeping in his usual place alongside him, police said.

With no memory of the night before, he frantically called Ramos, and his mother called police. After about 45 minutes, Adonis' maternal grandparents spotted the car parked at Sagil's auto body shop.

In the back seat was their red-faced, screaming grandson, still dressed in his denim birthday outfit and white sneakers.

"He was just a little dehydrated. His cheeks were red from the sun," Agustina Ribott said. "I knew he was okay as soon as I heard him say, 'Mama.'"

Suffering from heat exhaustion and dehydration, Adonis was taken to St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center in Paterson for observation and released to his mother last evening. Though Ribot has full custody, Ramos will care for the boy until further notice, Agustina Ribott said.

Ribot spent the day in police questioning, where he "was remorseful and broke down," Passaic police Lt. Luis Guzman said.

It is unclear why Ribot decided to park at the auto body shop, or whether he was under the influence of alcohol, police said, though his mother said he "maybe had a couple to drink." Family members said Ribot typically took the Lexus to Sagil's when it needed repairs, but the car had no recent problems.

They defended Ribot, who also has a 14-year-old daughter, as a dedicated parent.

"He's a good father," said Ribot's brother, Rudy Ribot, who often leaves his own daughter in his brother's care.

"He doesn't go out. He stays with his son and daughter," Agustina Ribott said. "I hope this turns out all right, because he's just a good father."

Relatives and police also expressed relief that Adonis seemed to emerge fairly unscathed.

"It could've been a lot worse," Guzman said.

In another article here, one of his other "baby mamas" says that he's a good father and that he's a victim, too. How the hell is HE a victim???

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Dude sounds like he was stoned out of his mind.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    He needs a good pounding!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    "I said, 'Why are you ringing the bell?'" said Agustina Ribott, who spells her last name differently than her son's, but the same as her grandson. "I said, 'Where did you leave the car?' I said, 'Where's the baby?' He smiled and just went upstairs. I figured maybe the baby's with his mama."
    Not only was he probably totally stoned or drunk, but this lady should have known that and looked harder for the child.

Other than a sleep-over, what kind of birthday party for a child this age ends at 2 AM??
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    what a turd
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Thread Information