Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Deputy of the Year

Solved 50 of the 70 hit-and-run cases he investigated

By: SARAH WILKINS - Staff Writer

VISTA -- Deputy Ron Halstead says that investigating collisions with the Vista sheriff's traffic division is "like a giant puzzle" that he enjoys putting together, and sheriff's officials credit his hard work with making the city's streets safer.

Halstead, who has worked for the Vista Sheriff's Station for about 10 years, was named the city's Deputy of the Year and honored last week by sheriff's officials and the City Council.

"He's got a lot of tenaciousness and gives a lot of attention to solving traffic-related crimes," Lt. Mike Hernandez said.

"He's one of those guys you learn to rely on, he's a hard worker and takes his job seriously. He sees traffic problems in the community and takes the time to correct (them)."

Halstead, a former Marine who had also worked in the county's Descanso and South Bay detention facilities, was particularly lauded for solving 50 of the 70 hit-and-run cases he investigated -- a tremendous feat, officials said.

"(Halstead) manages his time and finds the time to search and hunt (for suspects)," Hernandez said. "He makes the effort to solve (his cases) and is very successful in that."

In 2005, 355 hit-and-run crashes were reported to the Vista Sheriff's Station and 349 were reported last year. Of those, 50 resulted in injuries in 2005 and 48 involved injuries last year. No fatal hit-and-run crashes were reported in either year.

Capt. Ed Prendergast called Halstead's accomplishments in the busy traffic division "incredible."

"Overall, the traffic division (in Vista) is the busiest in all the Sheriff's Department," he said.

Halstead, however, spoke humbly of his accomplishments in cracking those cases, adding that he doesn't "keep numbers" on how many he solves.

"It's probably just diligence and good leads," said Halstead, who lives outside of the county and has lived in the state since 1982. "I've been pretty lucky, I guess, in getting all this."

Halstead is also experienced in collision reconstruction and is one of only eight people in the Sheriff's Department to hold that certification, granted by the state.

Collisions are reconstructed in cases that can include city or county liability, deputy involvement or fatalities, Halstead said.

"There's a lot of math, you have to look at everything," Halstead said.

"(Investigating crashes) is just a challenge, like a giant puzzle," he added.

Halstead said that since beginning his work in the city, Vista has grown and traffic has increased, adding weight to his division's workload.

"Commuter traffic from Temecula and (throughout) North County has a big influence on traffic. It's one of our major concerns," he said.

Still, Halstead said, he enjoys the challenges his job brings.

"I've been here, I enjoy what I'm doing," he said. "I've been told if I don't enjoy my job, then I'm in the wrong job."
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    congrats to him..
    that is some hard work!!
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road