Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Ambush

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Ambush

Cop Shooting Suspect Cornered in Idaho Church After Injuring 3

Two law enforcement officers and one civilian were wounded in an ambush-style hail of automatic weapons fire and police said early Sunday they believed they had the shooter cornered in a church.

About 75 shots were fired in the attack and law enforcement officers surrounded the nearby First Presbyterian Church, where they believed the shooter or shooters are still inside, said David Duke, Moscow's assistant police chief.

Duke said the attack was apparently an ambush, with the shooter firing into the Latah County Courthouse to lure people into the line of fire.

"Whoever the shooter is wanted to draw people to the courthouse," Duke said. "When officers responded, he did open fire on them."

A Moscow police officer was shot first, followed by a Latah County sheriff's deputy who came to his aid. A civilian was struck after that, Duke said.

Police declined to release the condition of the people who had been shot, and few details were immediately available.

Duke said the victims were shot with automatic weapons fire.

Police initially said two civilians had been shot, but corrected that after learning that one civilian was injured elsewhere.

Dozens of law enforcement officers surrounded the church, which is nestled in a heavily residential neighborhood near downtown and Moscow High School.

The incident began around 11 p.m. Saturday, when someone began shooting at the courthouse, Duke said. The courthouse, which includes the sheriff's office, was evacuated, Duke said. More than 30 shots were fired into the sheriff's dispatch center, but no one was injured, Duke said.

The final shot from inside the church was heard about 1 a.m., Duke said.

Officers have had no contact with the person in the church, he said.

Streets in the area have been barricaded and residents have been told to stay inside their homes. Many residents told news media that they heard the hail of bullets, and some said they witnessed the shooting of the officers.

Moscow, a community of about 20,000 people that is home to the University of Idaho, is located 80 miles south of Spokane, Wash.

The wounded people were taken to Gritman Medical Center in Moscow.

Law enforcement officers from throughout the area converged on the scene, including heavily armed SWAT officers. Duke said they were preparing a plan for ending the standoff.

The two officers were shot after they left their vehicles, Duke said.

Police do not believe the shooter had a specific target in mind, Duke said.

"He was just shooting at anybody he could," Duke said. "We believe the shots were from a high area, based on where the victims were shot."

A caretaker lives in the church, but Duke said police have had no contact with that person since the incident started.

web page
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Update

Law enforcement officers stormed a church where they believed a shooter or shooters were hiding on Sunday, finding two bodies inside, police said.

The dead included the likely shooter who had wounded two officers and a civilian with bursts of automatic gunfire late Saturday or early Sunday, police said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18766089/
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

moggsp98 is offline Press HARD, 5 copies
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This is just scary! I live about 2 hours from Moscow and spend alot of time down there. I know alot of kids from my town and church that go to school at University of Idaho in Moscow. The courthouse is only about a mile from campus. They had a shooting there about a month ago and then the suspect went down to Boise and killed again and then to Nevada.

I have not heard an update about the injured officers yet, but some of our guys know them. I will post any info when I get it.
    Any day above ground is a fine day indeed!

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIGEON, SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have not heard an update about the injured officers yet, but some of our guys know them. I will post any info when I get it.
    Please do.

Prayers sent for the victims and families.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Emily is offline Corporal

Unhappy

NEW: Police say officer, initally reported wounded, has died after ambush

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sgt. Lee Newbill is the officer that was killed. Deputy Brannon Jordan of the Latah County S.O. is in serious condition with multiple gunshot wounds. He was second on scene and was shot while trying to save Newbill who was first on scene. Deputy Jordan is a HERO in my book.

Thoughts and prayers to Sgt. Newbills family and the Moscow Police Departnent as well as the Latah County S.O. and the families of the other victims.

Rest in Peace, Sarge.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thoughts and prayers enroute.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Rip

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Rest easy, brother.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Rest in peace, brother.
    Thoughts and prayers to family, Dept. and the wounded officer.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Another victim found

Another Victim Of Idaho Shooting Rampage Found
    Idaho Gunman's Wife Found Dead

(May 21, 2007)--Police in Moscow, Idaho, say the wife of a gunman who killed a police officer and a church sexton in a weekend rampage has been found dead inside her home.

The sheriff says the 30-year-old woman died of a single gunshot to the head.

Her body was found Sunday morning.

Authorities believe she was killed before husband Jason Hamilton sprayed dozens of bullets into a courthouse late Saturday.

A police officer was killed, and two others were wounded.

They say Hamilton then went to a nearby church, where he killed a church sexton and himself.

Investigators found shell casings fired from two semi-automatic weapons.

Officials say Hamilton had a history of violence and was in court last week for a probation violation.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Here is the latest. Deputy Jordan is up and walking, he was shot through the arm and hip. Physically he will be fine. Sgt. Newbill was hit multiple times and was pronounced before arriving at the hospital. The civilian heard the shots, grabbed his own gun and went to help. He was shot 3 times but should be okay. The shooter knew the church caretaker as he also worked there as a janitor. The wife was shot in bed and then, reportedly, the shooter went to the bar with a friend. The shooter finally put one through his own melon.

No shots were fired by officers. The local news had video of the dispatch center. That place was torn up. It is a miracle that nobody was injured or killed inside. They were able to make it into the basement after about an hour.

The funeral for Sgt. Newbill is Friday at U of I

Thread Information