Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

70% - Support Affirmative Action Programs

Nifty graph to go with the numbers. Though a lot of those questions sound the same to me.

More government programs? NO!

70% - Support Affirmative Action Programs
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/pew/20070524...actionprograms
    http://pewresearch.org/pubs/434/tren...udes-1987-2007

Seven-in-ten Americans now say they favor "affirmative action programs to help blacks, women and other minorities get better jobs and education," a 12-point increase since 1995, with support increasing among most demographic and political groups; but the number favoring "preferential treatment" for minorities, 34%, is no higher than in the early 1990s.

African Americans, who overwhelmingly favored such programs 12 years ago, continue to do so (94% in 1995, 93% today). By comparison, nearly two-thirds of whites (65%) now support affirmative action programs, compared with 53% in 1995. White college graduates -- and whites who attended college but have not graduated -- are much more supportive of affirmative action than they were in the mid-1990s. In addition, the number of white independents who favor affirmative action programs has increased by 15 points since 1995.

More white independents than white Republicans now support such programs (by 62%- 56%); in 1995, identical percentages of the two groups backed these programs (47% each). Despite this shift, however, most Americans (62%) disagree with this statement: "We should make every possible effort to improve the position of blacks and other minorities, even if means giving them preferential treatment." Even half of those who favor affirmative action programs dissent from the idea that minorities should be given preferential treatment. The number supporting preferences has increased since 2002, from 24% to 34%. Even so, the percentage favoring preferences is no higher than it was in 1993.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320
    Seven-in-ten Americans now say they favor "affirmative action programs to help blacks, women and other minorities get better jobs and education
    Count me in as one of the three in ten.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    I will be #2
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

chris2001 is offline Captain
    I call number three. Affirmative action is nothing more now than reverse racism. Brad you and I had this talk in an airport in Atlanta I do believe last summer when we went to San Diego.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Affirmitive action has outlived it's usefullness and is an insult to minorities. It assumes that they are unable to get the job based on their individual merits and have to rely on their race, sex, or status I've seen too many minorities put down as an "affirmitive action appointee" when they have , in fact, worked hard to get where they are.

Conversely, I've seen many good, qualified "non-minorities" get cheated out of a job because of affirmitive action. ( Personally, it happened to me on at least 3 occasions.)
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I believe in qualifications, not color of skin. I think affirmative action is racist against whites. That is ok though.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    +1 Pedro. Best QUALIFIED person for the job!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I smell bullshit. 7 in 10 is not believable to me.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    they never asked my opinion that stat is soooo friggen wrong

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BEB View Post
    Seven-in-ten Americans now say they favor "affirmative action programs to help blacks, women and other minorities get better jobs and education
    I find that hard to believe...

A lot of these focus and pollster groups customize their questions to reflect their own favorable outcome.

Another group could easily put out a "scientific" study to reflect that over 7 in 10 Americans favor abolishing affirmative action all together.

Its all a bunch of bunk.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If 70% favor Affirmative Action, then that means that 30% do not.

70% being much greater than 30% would mean that those of the 30% are in the minority...

If I am one of those 30%, that makes me part of that minority...

Since I am a minority, I should recieve the benefits of Affirmative Action, and 5-10 point preference on all tests for promotion/hiring.

Heya boss, you getting all this?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Affirmative action when it was created had a purpose. That purpose is no longer a valid purpose. Its now affecting the work force that is out there and companies are having to hire people that have the brain power of a cinder block.

Affirmative action when it was created was suppose to give the minorities a chance at the good jobs. Because at that time the minorities had the same or close to the same education as the whites but where not getting the jobs because of color and sex. That idea and way of thinking is so out of date.

Anymore its the "whites" that are in the minority. However I do not know to many people that are white that want special treatment. I for one just want a fair shot at the job. If i out qualify you for the job then I should get the job, however if you have more qualities for the job than me then its all yours.

Again affirmative action is simply racism against those that it was not designed to help.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    The question should say: "Are you willing to be fired or loose a job opportunity to a less qualified person in order to equalize racial quotas"?

I think those 70% would feel differently if the question were phrased that way - Liberals are perfectly willing to make other people sacrifice, as long as they don't loose anything.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001 View Post
    I call number three. Affirmative action is nothing more now than reverse racism. .
    and reverse racism is nothing more then, well, racism...
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I'm calling bullshit on that statistic. I know many people that agree when I say affirmative action is a racist program. But there are so many white people out there too scared of being accused of racism if they publicly agree with me.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Yep.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information