Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Darwin Awards

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Darwin Awards

(5 January 2005, Nebraska) In September of his senior year at the University of Nebraska, 21-year-old Derek wrote an impassioned declaration of independence from seatbelts for his college newspaper. Although these "intrusive and ridiculous" laws saved 6100 lives a year, according to statistics from the U.S. Congress, Derek concluded with the statement, "If I want to be the jerk that flirts with death, I should be able to do that."

Derek's father said he "was a bright young boy, a 4.0," majoring in five subjects and planning to attend law school. He was also smart enough to tutor his friends in subjects he didn't even take. But good grades don't equate with common sense.

Derek was returning from a holiday in San Antonio, Texas. The driver of the Ford Explorer and his front seat passenger both wore seatbelts. Only Derek was willing to buck the system, sitting without a seatbelt in the back seat, possibly reminding his friends, in the words of his newspaper column, that he belonged to the "die-hard group of non-wearers out there who simply do not wish to buckle up, no matter what the government does."

Around 3 a.m. the SUV hit a patch of ice, slid off Interstate 80, and rolled several times. Derek, in an involuntary display of his freedom from regulation, was thrown from the vehicle. He died at the scene. His friends, slaves to the seatbelt, survived with minor injuries.

Alcohol was not involved in the accident.

project mindbender is offline A mind is a terrible thing to taste
    I believe that is THE definition of Karma...

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Nope this is the definition of Here's your sign.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm really tired of seeing and hearing people die from not wearing seatbelts
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    I'm really tired of seeing and hearing people die from not wearing seatbelts
    Exactly. Is it really that hard to put one on? I have it on before my car is rolling down the driveway. Heck, I even have a "doggie seatbelt" that I use once in awhile if I've just got one with me rather than a crate or letting them ride loose. They're getting a cage that both girls will ride in from now on as well - too many stories of dogs getting thrown out of vehicles when the human passenger survives because of a seatbelt.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    The thing with seatbelts is that people view them as an inconviencance. While most of us here can attest to why they are useful a lot of times the public doesn't want to hear what you have to say about that. Look at DUI's how many commercials have you seen done, how many new reports, interviews and classes have been given on it. And people still continue to do it. While its sad that this young kid died, it is something that is going to continue because people anymore are to arrogant to listen.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by project mindbender
    I believe that is THE definition of Karma...
    Karma is a bitch isn't it???

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The way I look at it, I'm in a metal box, hurtling down the highway at 70mph. Damn skippy I'm going to be strapped to something.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information