Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon

US Customs seize 83 kilos of Ecstasy

U.S. officials seize 83 kilos of ecstasy after it crossed border from B.C.
    Jeremy Hainsworth, Canadian Press
    Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 Article tools

VANCOUVER (CP) - U.S. officials say they seized 83 kilograms of the drug ecstasy as it was headed south in the United States at the Osoyoos, B.C.-Oroville, Wash., border crossing.

Mike Milne of U.S. Customs and Border Protection says the drugs were found in the rear doors of a truck and trailer bound for California on Friday.

About 262,000 pills in 49 packages were found as officers did a routine scan of the vehicle.

Milne says it's not known if the Canadian man and woman in the vehicle knew the drugs were there.

No charges have been laid.

Milne says the importation of ecstasy from Canada into the U.S. has now far outstripped the smuggling of "B.C. bud" marijuana.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection area port director Ron Arrigoni called the bust 240 kilometres east of Vancouver significant.

"Our officers continue to make significant narcotics seizures along the U.S.-Canada border, both inbound and outbound," he said. "This case illustrates the multiple smuggling threats along the U.S.-Canada border here in the Pacific Northwest."

Indeed, the seizure is more of what U.S. officials have already called a significant problem along the western border between the U.S. and Canada.

Last March, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers seized 210 kilograms of ecstasy as well as 375 kilograms of marijuana as part of a routine check at Blaine, Wash., 40 kilometres southeast of Vancouver.

The drugs were found in 21 drums on a truck with Canadian licence plates. The manifest recorded the cargo as shredded scrap plastic.

Officers became suspicious after doing a gamma ray scan of the truck and ordered it to a loading dock for a complete examination. During that search, officers found the drugs.

"They were in bags inside the drums," Milne said.

In January of 2006, U.S. customs officers charged two 17-year-old Canadians after they seized 5.3 kilograms of ecstasy concealed on them when they tried to cross the border in a vehicle.

And in a March 2006 incident that made news around the world, border officials found a drug tunnel running from a Vancouver suburb into Washington state.

Authorities said drug smugglers had just finished the 109-metre tunnel north of Lynden, Wash., which ran from the living room of a home on the U.S. side to a boarded-up Quonset hut on the Canadian side.

The Canadian Press 2007
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Nice pop! 'Atta boys all around.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information