Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Kopfgeldjaeger is offline Officer First Class

Exclamation Police career may be finished

Gary Tabor's 26-year police career is in the hands of Chief Norman Williams, thanks to a no-contest plea to two domestic violence counts.

BY RON SYLVESTERThe Wichita Eagle

Gary Tabor's long police career could end as a result of a conviction for striking his wife and another woman.
    Tabor, a former Wichita police captain who was demoted last year to detective, pleaded no contest this week to two counts of misdemeanor domestic battery. Paperwork to complete the case was filed Thursday in Sedgwick County District Court.
    Judge Greg Waller sentenced Tabor to six months probation. But Tabor's biggest penalty could be the loss of a career that's been mired in controversy for more than a year.
    The Wichita city code says the chief of police determines if an officer convicted of a crime can remain on the force. Chief Norman Williams was out of town and unavailable for comment on Thursday.
    But the ordinance says Williams' decision must consider state and federal law.
    State law requires permanent revocation of a law enforcement officer's certification upon a conviction for domestic battery. It also says a conviction disqualifies a person from being a law enforcement officer.
    The Federal Gun Control Act of 1996, meanwhile, prevents anyone convicted of a domestic violence crime from carrying a firearm or ammunition.
    "Such a prohibition would disqualify the employee from serving in a commissioned (gun-carrying) position," the city ordinance reads.
    A 26-year-old Jackson County sheriff's officer had his certification revoked earlier this month because of domestic battery.
    Tabor has been with the Wichita police for 26 years.
    On Feb. 4, a jury found Tabor not guilty of intentionally allowing two officers to stay on the city's payroll while they helped him Sheetrock his basement.
    The Wichita Police Department, however, demoted Tabor three ranks to detective, and he continued to stay on medical leave, citing post-traumatic stress.
    Then in July, the Sedgwick County district attorney's office filed domestic battery charges against him. Tabor's plea this week admitted that the state had enough evidence to convict him of battering his wife, Gayle, and Lawana Coleman.
    Christopher McHugh, Tabor's lawyer, did not return phone calls from The Eagle on Thursday.

News Story Here: http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/13668455.htm

Brought to you by www.keepandbeararms.com

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Moron!

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    Moron!

Pretty much.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Actually he will be fired. According to KS state law no LE can be convicted of DV battery and then still be a LEO. Reason being your not allowed to carry a gun as a convicted DV suspect.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Sucks. The bitch ain't worth it.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    Sucks. The bitch ain't worth it.
    It's just like gambling, bro. Ya gotta know when to take a walk.

Wichita in the last few years has had a lot of trouble with the DV situation and officers. The scary thing is they actually have a unit that all they deal with are DV calls and DV type situations. Yet the officers in the department still do not get the idea that you can't beat the shit out of your wife. Oh well put a bunch of them behind bars, and take away their career and they will all learn. To bad that it takes people to be put on a pedestal and shown to the world for the others to get the clue.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    Yet the officers in the department still do not get the idea that you can't beat the shit out of your wife.

But you can beat the shit out of your husband? Domestic isn't always a man beating the shit out of a woman.

True but around here its doesn't happen very often I mean it is extremely rare extremely.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Guy I was in the academy with quit, and within a week got arrested for DV. Dunno if he saw it coming or what, but I'm pretty sure she didn't.

Yes yes, bad taste, I know

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Somebody that does that has no business being a cop.

It pisses me off that restraining orders are so easy to get and can screw up a person's life, but when you have to hit your spouse in an argument, you don't have what it takes to do this job.

I've known too many wife beaters that got away with it just because they were cops. Personally I'm glad they're going after them.

I agree with Term that there are some cases of women beating men, but it's fairly rare. Men that beat up women are scum to me. These are the assholes that beat up people just because they can. Usually they're cowards when confronted by someone their own size.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Daynathepayna is offline bad to the bone
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Men that beat up women are scum to me. These are the assholes that beat up people just because they can. Usually they're cowards when confronted by someone their own size.
    This is interesting Retdetsgt. I have basically said the same thing except with regards to rapists and I have admonished for being bitter and angry. (not here) Hmmmm.... Whatever, I completely agree with you on this wife beating issue!! Also I think that husband abuse occurs more often than we think due to the fact that men are more reluctant to report it due to the "macho" factor and the fact that they will be disbelieved and laughed at. Also most have been taught that you never hit a woman so they won't defend themselves. I think that women are more likely to be verbally abusive than physically for obvious reasons and this abuse is demoralizing and damaging. Words do hurt.

FishTail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    It pisses me off that restraining orders are so easy to get and can screw up a person's life
    Doesn't it also mean they can't carry a firearm, thus ending (or at least suspending) a cop's career? With no conviction.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Daynathepayna
    This is interesting Retdetsgt. I have basically said the same thing except with regards to rapists and I have admonished for being bitter and angry. (not here) Hmmmm....
    I never defended rapists, I merely said that most, if not nearly all were sexually abused as children. Stating why someone does something is not defending them.

By the same token, people who use physical force on other people when they're angry were probably beaten as kids..... When you beat the hell out of a kid, mostly what you teach them is the biggest and strongest person is right. Most school yard bullies are getting the shit beat out of them at home all the time. Extreme physical agression is usually taught as is sex abuse.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    Doesn't it also mean they can't carry a firearm, thus ending (or at least suspending) a cop's career? With no conviction.
    Yep. And there is zero burden of proof of the allegation. The person doesn't even have to say they were hit, all they have to do is say they're AFRAID they'll be hit.

Daynathepayna is offline bad to the bone
    Recent research about bullies is that they have high self-esteem and are usually the popular kids. The belief that they are/were victims of bullys themselves is a myth which is thank goodness on the wane. They carry on with their bullying because no one stops them. Others join in with bullys because they want to be popular themselves. When bullying is properly addressed it stops. Whether or not they have the shit beat out of them at home, I couldn't say for sure. Perhaps it is true for some. My contention is that people will get away with whatever society is willing to tolerate. Schools which don't address bullying experience it. Those who have a zero tolerance prevent it before it starts. India allows women burned to death by their husbands and inlaws because their society does not have a zero tolerance for it and women are considered less valuable than men. We have a problem with violence in society because we choose to tolerate it. Until our laws and justice system take violence against others especially women more seriously not much will change.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Daynathepayna
    We have a problem with violence in society because we choose to tolerate it. Until our laws and justice system take violence against others especially women more seriously not much will change.
    What else would you do to remedy it? At least in Oregon, sex offenses carry heavy mandatory sentences. Sanctions against domestic violence have reached a level that only an accusation, with no form of proof will create havoc for one party via a restraining order. And a restraining order is only as good as long as the person is willing to honor it. Like gun control, it's only effective against people who probably wouldn't commit a crime anyway and willing to obey the law.

As far as domestic violence is concerned, that is learned behavior. Men who beat their wives are generally sons of men who beat their wives and their kids. Again, like sex abuse, it's learned behavior, not something that is perpetuated by tolerance. And the people that are the worst about tolerating domestic violence are the victims. Ask any cop who's been to a domestic violence call only to have the woman jump the officer and assault him or her when they go to arrest the husband. Happens all the time.

We have a DV unit that does nothing else and they are constantly frustrated by victims who rally around the husband and refuse to cooperate. Our DA even prosecutes without the victim's consent now. Hard to call that a tolerant society.
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 01-24-06 at 10:26 PM.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    MANY MANY times the victim of domestic violence will cover up for the person who assualted them.

All good points Sarge.

Thread Information