Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Nutjob liberal Cindy Sheehan resigns as protest leader

FORT WORTH, Texas - Cindy Sheehan, the soldier's mother who galvanized an anti-war movement with her monthlong protest outside President Bush's ranch, said Tuesday she's done being the public face of the movement.

"I've been wondering why I'm killing myself and wondering why the Democrats caved in to George Bush," Sheehan told The Associated Press while driving from her property in Crawford to the airport, where she planned to return to her native California.

"I'm going home for awhile to try and be normal," she said.

In what she described as a "resignation letter," Sheehan wrote in her online diary on the Daily Kos blog: "Good-bye America ... you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can't make you be that country unless you want it.

"It's up to you now."

Sheehan began a grass roots peace movement in August 2005 when she camped outside Bush's Crawford ranch for 26 days, demanding to talk with the president about her son's death. Army Spc. Casey Sheehan was 24 when he was killed in an ambush in Baghdad in 2004.

Cindy Sheehan's protest started small but swelled to thousands and quickly drew national attention. Over the next two years, she drew huge crowds as she spoke at protest events. But she also drew criticism for some actions, such as meeting with Hugo Chavez, Venezuela's leftist president.

"I have endured a lot of smear and hatred since Casey was killed and especially since I became the so-called "Face" of the American anti-war movement," Sheehan wrote in the diary.

Kristinn Taylor, spokesman for FreeRepublic.com, which has held pro-troop rallies and counter-protests of anti-war demonstrations, said dwindling crowds at Sheehan's Crawford protests since her initial vigil may have led to her decision. But he also said he hopes she will now be able to heal.

"Her politics have hurt a lot of people, including the troops and their families, but most of us who support the war on terror understand she is hurt very deeply," Taylor said Tuesday. "Those she got involved with in the anti-war movement realize it was to their benefit to keep her in that stage of anger."

When Sheehan first took on Bush, she was a darling of the liberal left. "However, when I started to hold the Democratic Party to the same standards that I held the Republican Party, support for my cause started to erode and the 'left' started labeling me with the same slurs that the right used," she wrote in the diary.

She said she sacrificed a 29-year marriage and endured threats to put all her energy into stopping the war. What she found, she wrote, was a movement "that often puts personal egos above peace and human life."

She said the most devastating conclusion she had reached "was that Casey did indeed die for nothing ... killed by his own country which is beholden to and run by a war machine that even controls what we think."

Sheehan told the AP that she had considered leaving the peace movement since last summer while recovering from surgery.

She decided on Memorial Day to step down and spend more time with her three other children. She said she was returning to California on Tuesday because it was Casey's birthday. He would have been 28.

"We've accomplished as much here as we're going to," Sheehan said, saying she was leaving to change course. "When we come back, it definitely won't be with the peace movement with marches, with rallies and with protests. It will be more humanitarian efforts."

Last year, with $52,500 in insurance money she received after her son's death, Sheehan bought 5 acres near downtown Crawford as a permanent site for protests.

"Camp Casey has served its purpose," she wrote in the diary. "It's for sale. Anyone want to buy five beautiful acres in Crawford, Texas?"

Illiy is offline Corporal
    You mean she is finally going to honor her son's memory and stop embarrassing him? I think someone forgot to tell her he volunteered... and that he took pride in what he was doing...

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    You mean she is finally going to honor her son's memory and stop embarrassing him? I think someone forgot to tell her he volunteered... and that he took pride in what he was doing...

Exactly. Personally, I am of the Socratic mind on this one. If you do not like the country you live in, leave.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    ...you are not the country that I love...
    Yeah, that's been obvious since Day 1.

...Casey did indeed die for nothing...
    You did everything in your power to make sure that's true.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    **Shrinks to midget size and inhales helium before singing..**

Ding dong the witch is dead, which old witch? The wicked bitch!!!

Ding dong the wicked bitch is dead!!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "I'm going home for awhile to try and be normal," she said.
    Untill she gets a call from the DNC to speak at the convention, that is.

She said the most devastating conclusion she had reached "was that Casey did indeed die for nothing ...
    She is foolish to think such... I seriously doubt that he felt that way.

I thank her for her sacrifice. Speaking from experience, the loss of a loved one in any war is a painful process, but Cindy Sheehan made the mistake of becoming the liberal's pundit and flunkie. She violated the trust of thousands of families who have suffered loss in the war on terror by voicing her pain through hatred of her own country. She represented herself to be the voice of the families of the fallen. As for me and my family, we are quite capable of speaking for ourselves, and we say proudly and without reservation, GOD BLESS AMERICA, and GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS, do what it takes, fight the good fight, and win this thing. It is only when we tuck and run that we lose and the losses are for nothing.

Those who love this nation refuse to turn their back on it or demean it. Those who love freedom will fight to defend it, and those who fall in that fight will be honored by victory, not retreat or surrender. We who have lost those we loved will accept no other legacy for their memory.

Carry on and Godspeed, G.W.

In loving memory of Spc. Jeremiah "D.J." DiGiovanni,
    4th BN, 101st Aviation Regiment, 101st Airborne "Commancheros"
    KIA 11-15-03, Mosul, Iraq

Rest easy, little brother.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    It is only when we tuck and run that we lose and the losses are for nothing.

Those who love this nation refuse to turn their back on it or demean it. Those who love freedom will fight to defend it, and those who fall in that fight will be honored by victory, not retreat or surrender. We who have lost those we loved will accept no other legacy for their memory.
    And it is for this reason right here, that I refuse to accept anything other than total victory before pulling out of the war. Leaving before the job is done, makes the losses suffered by our troops seem for nothing.

Pulling out before total victory is completely unacceptable

Thread Information