Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Gang members using MySpace to recruit new members

OVIEDO, Fla. -- Gang members in at least one Central Florida suburb are using the Internet to recruit new members, according to officials.

Oviedo police told Local 6 News that gangs in their city are targeting new members via MySpace.com.

"It's very enticing. It's very subtle," Nathan Dunn of the Oviedo Police Department said.

"Using the social-networking site MySpace, older gang members target kids -- some as young as 12 -- making the life of a gangster seem appealing," Local 6 News reporter Kimberly Houk said.

"I was surprised at the quick amount of time that it took to really get going," Dunn said.

Gang-related grafitti is showing up in multiple places throughout Oviedo, a city of about 30,000.

Police said that gang members begin committing petty crimes, but that leads to more severe criminal behavior.

"They fight. They get into fights with other people. They hit other people against their will," Dunn said.

"I don't know what to think about the young people," an unidentified Oviedo resident said.

"I think it's a parent's responsibility to put controls on the Internet on the computers, and to pay attention to what their children are doing and to know who their children are friends with," another Oviedo resident said.

Experts said warning signs that a child may be involved in gang activity are:

Wearing specific colors
    Withdrawal from family
    Using and practicing hand signs
    Breaking rules at home and school

Oviedo police urged parents to get their children involved in other activities, limiting their free time and decreasing their chances of wanting to become part of a gang.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    You mean like this myspace site? www.myspace.com/lawenforcementforums

Biggest street gang on the world, Jenna. Try not to be too cute, though, k?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Those who know me, know that I have a good sense of humor. They also know that I am tolerant, fair, and usually very easy going.

I find little humor in comparing criminal street gang activity to law enforcement. We aren't thugs, drugdealers, or human predators. We don't take pride in our ability to violate law, create disorder, or terrorize decent people. We don't wear colors, we wear the faith and confidence of those we serve. We wear the blood that we and other officers have spilled in the name of peace, order, and freedom.

You handled this post well, Conalabu. Better than I would have.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Oops, apparently my misguided attempt at humor has once again given offense. Sorry about that. I was just trying to make a humorous reference to the joke about law enforcement being the "biggest gang in the world" that I've frequently seen posted by LEOs here (such as conalabu in the post above). I should have understood that this kind of joke may seem offensive when made by a non-LEO, so please accept my sincere apologies. Of course I don't think LEOs are actually like gang members!
    Last edited by Jenna; 05-31-07 at 07:16 AM.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Why get bent out of shape over nothing? IMO some people here are very thin skinned.

I thought the Thin Blue line or "Blue" was our color? Since when did Gang mean that your thugged out, have ability to violate law, create disorder, or terrorize decent people?

Gangs started out as a group of laborers organized together on one job or under one foreperson. But now they have a different meaning. Gangs can also be a group of people who associate regularly on a social basis. LIKE THE POLICE!!!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    I took no offense, Jenna. I thought it was funny, and we do sometimes refer to ourselves as the largest street gang.

But on the other hand, I don't want to offend countybear, either....OMG, I'm sounding like a bleeding heart lib...oops, sorry, Jenna!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yeah, yeah, ok, that was a little heavy, and even grumpy... but every once in a while I need to let Jenna know that I'm watching her. After all, I AM part of the vast right-wing conspiracy Hilary mentioned years ago...

No hard feelings Jenna?

Seriously though, I personally don't like the "largest street gang" jokes. I really think they can be demeaning. I really hate watching kids around here "representing" and worshipping thugness in its many forms, but then again, I can be an old grumpy fart sometimes, I admit.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Jenna- i found it funny and knew you meant it as such...
    some of the older cops i work with hate the comparisons to gangs at work, however in the academy they made it clear that we are actually fairly similar to a gang... just with the obvious differences.

funny how they even had a 3 hour block about police similarity and gangs.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    After all, I AM part of the vast right-wing conspiracy Hilary mentioned years ago...

Daily Checklist

East breakfast: CHECK
    Check E-mail: CHECK
    Pee: Check
    Laugh Out Loud: CHECK

Wow. Already got to check off "laughing out loud" and it's only 11:39. Thanks, Countybear...I can always cout on you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'm recruiting for my gang if anyone is interested. Must be awesome to apply.

Also had a conversation about the law enforcement/gang comparison with some nitwit on another forum. Here's his take -

I've already pointed out that cops often operate like gangs. Gangs operate in a certain way, as do cops they have a uniform appearence, generally stick together in "threatening situations", execute certain tasks in units, and use deadly force against others if they feel it "neccesary" to do so -often times it is mst certainly not "neccesary" and the force can be avoided-. These are all characteristics of gangs, and they are also characteristics of the police. I mean are you saying that having a badge and the authority over people's lives and the ability to kill them in the name of "justice" won't change people?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've already pointed out that cops often operate like gangs. Gangs operate in a certain way, as do cops they have a uniform appearence, generally stick together in "threatening situations", execute certain tasks in units, and use deadly force against others if they feel it "neccesary" to do so -often times it is mst certainly not "neccesary" and the force can be avoided-. These are all characteristics of gangs, and they are also characteristics of the police. I mean are you saying that having a badge and the authority over people's lives and the ability to kill them in the name of "justice" won't change people?
    A perfect example of what stokes me when such comparisons are made. Thank you, Virginian, for helping me demonstrate my point. Most on here are exceptions to the rule, but I have found that much of the public has difficulty drawing the lines clearly. Joking about it clouds their ability to reason, and plays into the 'cops are legal criminals' mentality.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Gangs are over-rated. I aim to lead a cult.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Don't sweat CB too much. He's still just sore and grumpy from the tac team tryout's.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    and NYPD is the biggest set. Although we are having recruitment problems lately. :-P

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Yeah, yeah, ok, that was a little heavy, and even grumpy... but every once in a while I need to let Jenna know that I'm watching her. After all, I AM part of the vast right-wing conspiracy Hilary mentioned years ago...

No hard feelings Jenna?
    Ah, so you admit that Hillary wasn't making you up!

No hard feelings, of course. A sheep who bleats at sheepdogs all the time deserves to be growled at periodically!

Thread Information