Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Post Not so fast: Police use more gun restraint than civilians

Not so fast: Police use more gun restraint than civilians
    Research found officers weren't as influenced by race in video-simulated gun confrontations

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4855977.html

In making snap decisions about whether to shoot a potentially armed suspect, police officers are far less influenced by racial bias than students or community members forced to make the same decision, a large study has found.

The study, which was based on video simulations of armed and unarmed confrontations, found that racial stereotypes influenced the reaction times of both officers and civilians, but swayed the ultimate decision to fire only in civilian participants.

The findings suggest that the impact of race on police behavior is subtler than previously understood, and is strongly shaped by professional training.

In previous research, investigators have found evidence that the police use greater force to restrain minority suspects than white ones. And in the wake of the Rodney King beating in 1991 in California, an investigation of the Los Angeles Police Department concluded officers with anti-black attitudes were more apt to be promoted than others.

But the new study, reported Friday in The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, is the first to rigorously compare the influence of race on such life-and-death decisions in officers and in non-officers.

"We don't mean to suggest that this is conclusive evidence that there is no racial bias in police officers' decisions to shoot," said Dr. Joshua Correll, a University of Chicago psychologist and lead author. "But we've run these tests with thousands of people now, and we've never seen this ability to restrain behavior in any group other than police officers."

Correll said that the findings were unexpected, given that the police were exposed to the usual racial stereotypes in popular culture and confrontations on the beat. Co-authors were Bernd Wittenbrink of the University of Chicago; Bernadette Park, Charles Judd and Melody Sadler of the University of Colorado in Boulder; and Tracie Keesee of the Denver Police Department.

Donna Lieberman, executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said the study was good news.

"It demonstrates that people can be trained not to rely on racially biased cues in deciding to pull the trigger," Lieberman said. But the findings, she added, "should compel departments with histories of shooting unarmed black men to undertake a re-examination of their firearms training."

Sample unrepresentative

The research was conducted in 2004, and included 157 officers from the Denver Police Department, 113 officers from departments around the country and a diverse group of 245 adults from the Denver area. The police officers and the civilians were drawn to represent blacks, whites and Latinos, but the sample was not nationally representative.

In one experiment, participants watched a video screen as a series of 50 threatening images flashed by, one after another: men, half of them black and half white, each shown once while armed and once while holding something innocuous. The participants hit a button to shoot or to hold fire for each image they saw.

The researchers measured reaction times to the millisecond, and found a clear stereotyping effect. Officers and civilians took 10 to 20 milliseconds longer to make a decision when they saw either an unarmed black man, or an armed white man, compared to the other images.

But when it mattered the police officers tuned out race. They shot at about 13 percent of the unarmed black men and roughly the same number of the unarmed white men. The civilians shot at about 35 percent of the unarmed black men and 29 percent of unarmed white men.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Interesting. This study was conducted in 2004, but published in the Journal of Personality and Psychology in 2007, then the Houston Chronicle on 6-2-2007... why such a delay?

Ah, and who better to comment on such research than the imminent psychological expert, the executive director of the ACLU...

It's funny how fast they are to throw in the disclaimer:
    "We don't mean to suggest that this is conclusive evidence that there is no racial bias in police officers' decisions to shoot," said Dr. Joshua Correll, a University of Chicago psychologist and lead author.
    I almost wonder if they were expecting to yield different results, rather than support of what we have been saying all along...

Great post BEB!

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Good post indeed.

I'm not surprised by the findings.

We're not trained to shoot when a black guy, or a hisapinic guy, or an asian guy, etc jumps up from behind a bush.

We're trained to shoot when a person of any creed, color, religion, etc, etc yada yada jumps up from behind a bush and has a weapon or does an act that puts us, or those around us in fear of great bodily harm or death

It doesn't have to be a bush either. It can be any lawn shrub.
    Last edited by jmur5074; 06-03-07 at 01:22 AM.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

SANDMAN is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Good post indeed.

We're not trained to shoot when a black guy jumps up from behind a bush.

We're trained to shoot when a person of any creed, color, religion, etc, etc yada yada jumps up from behind a bush. Or from any other lawn shrub for that matter.
    Wouldn't that be while brandishing a weapon of some kind. As just jumping out from behind a bush isn't a shootable offense, If it is then i better pack it in.
    If at first you don't succeed, then bomb disposal probably isn't for you.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to there level and beat you on experience.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SANDMAN View Post
    Wouldn't that be while brandishing a weapon of some kind. As just jumping out from behind a bush isn't a shootable offense, If it is then i better pack it in.
    You don't shoot people when they jump out of bushes????

ok....you got me. I kinda missed an important part in my statement up there. I'll fix it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

SANDMAN is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Good post indeed.

We're not trained to shoot when a black guy, or a hisapinic guy, or an asian guy, etc jumps up from behind a bush.

We're trained to shoot when a person of any creed, color, religion, etc, etc yada yada jumps up from behind a bush and has a weapon or does an act that puts us, or those around us in fear of great bodily harm or death

It doesn't have to be a bush either. It can be any lawn shrub.
    Much much better, gets right to the point now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then bomb disposal probably isn't for you.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to there level and beat you on experience.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    It makes perfect sense to me. Cops are trained to watch the hands, and in this scenario they'd be able to better see if the person was drawing a weapon or not. Civilians would be looking at the person's face, and only seeing the hands in their peripheral vision. They'd be making the decision based on how threatening the person looked in general, and not on the actual object that could hurt them.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Interesting. This study was conducted in 2004, but published in the Journal of Personality and Psychology in 2007, then the Houston Chronicle on 6-2-2007... why such a delay?

Ah, and who better to comment on such research than the imminent psychological expert, the executive director of the ACLU...

It's funny how fast they are to throw in the disclaimer:

I almost wonder if they were expecting to yield different results, rather than support of what we have been saying all along...

Great post BEB!

You did mean eminent, right?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    You did mean eminent, right?
    Actually no, it was a play on words.

Good catch!

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

slick628 is offline Rollin' Deep
    Verified LEO
    They did this same study in Colorado. Several of my fellow officers participated, and the results just came out. I have the article, but I don't think it has been released to the public yet. Essentially, it says the same thing.
    "That's how we roll"

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Can you imagine how much these results would have been front page news if the results were the other way.

Same old, same old....good police news is not news.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Three years or so for publishing the results in a scholarly paper isn't unreasonable. After doing the study, there's still lots of number-crunching, supporting research and other stuff, as well as the peer-review process before it gets published.

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by slick628 View Post
    They did this same study in Colorado. Several of my fellow officers participated, and the results just came out. I have the article, but I don't think it has been released to the public yet. Essentially, it says the same thing.

The research was conducted in 2004, and included 157 officers from the Denver Police Department, 113 officers from departments around the country and a diverse group of 245 adults from the Denver area. The police officers and the civilians were drawn to represent blacks, whites and Latinos, but the sample was not nationally representative.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thread Information