Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Meet KCPD's newest officer Jessica Renee, formerly known as Officer David Renee

The Kansas City Police Department hired him in 1996. A year later, he remarried.

Then a back injury knocked him out of work for months, giving him time to dwell on his future.

I’m not getting any younger, he told himself, and I haven’t had the life I wanted.

A turning point

On the Internet, David finally discovered a name for the internal hell he’d been living: gender identity disorder. The solution was daunting: expensive female hormones and even more expensive and extreme surgery.

Even so, he daydreamed about living as a woman and sought a way out of his marriage. He committed adultery — openly. His wife forgave him, so he cheated again.

Divorce did not solve anything. He felt incredible guilt for hurting his second wife. Overall, he felt worse than ever.

He thought about his mom, who died 15 years earlier of cancer. He wanted to join her.

One day, David sat in the shower, crying, until the water turned cold. He stepped out, pulled on his pajamas and sat on the bed with his duty handgun and a pen and paper. He wanted to write a farewell letter to his father, but no words came. How could he explain?

Crying, he picked up the handgun.

I’m done, he thought. I don’t know how to deal with this.

But what would his death do to his father, siblings and other relatives? He didn’t want to hurt them. Pursuing life as a woman trumped death, despite all the risks, he figured. He slid the gun into his nightstand.

Searching the Internet, he found a British therapist who handled gender identity issues. They talked for months, until David found a local therapist.

David tested the waters at work by confiding his plans to another officer.

“Can’t you just be gay?” the officer responded.

Telling the boss

Last year, David decided to come out — a necessary step before taking pills to develop secondary female characteristics such as breasts.

He told his second ex-wife and saw relief flood her eyes, as if realizing it was not her fault.

The next hurdle: the Kansas City Police Department.

He pondered how to tell his bosses that the man they hired 10 years earlier intended to morph into a woman. He chose Deputy Chief Rachel Whipple, the only female deputy of five.

Sensing his stress, Whipple told him to take a deep breath.

“I don’t know how to say this,” David started, “but I’m a male-to-female transsexual.”

“OK, let’s talk about it,” Whipple answered. “I’ll take it to the chief, and you’ll need to let your chain of command know.”

David left in awe. Wow, he thought. This is going better than I expected.

Within a few days, television crews sought interviews. David declined. He felt somewhat betrayed by the way his private news traveled faster than if he had posted it on the Internet.

Still, he was glad to still be employed. He knew other transgenders who were not as fortunate.

Across America

In recent years transgender police officers have made news in multiple cities, including Philadelphia, Houston, Cincinnati and Oklahoma City.

One filed a civil rights complaint alleging her department was trying to force her to quit.

As opposed to decades ago, however, today’s bosses generally are more accepting and supportive of transgender employees, says Houston lawyer Phyllis Randolph Frye, who has been fighting the transgender rights battle for 30 years.

Just how many transgender police officers exist nationwide remains a mystery, though.

Facing family

In May 2006, a local therapist prescribed David a testosterone blocker and 6 mg a day of estrogen. The next month, David gave away his “man” clothes and filled his closet with women’s.

As the estrogen boost softened his skin, he pored over women’s fashion magazines and books on makeup.

But he had not told his family, mainly his father, a Southern Baptist.

“How do you tell your dad, a 30-year retired Marine, that his oldest son is actually his oldest daughter? I didn’t want to lose my Dad. I had already lost my mom.” David dialed his father. Unable to find the words, he hung up, crying.

He called the next day and again chickened out. When his father begged him to say what was wrong, David replied: “I just can’t tell you right now.”

The third day, David talked.

“I don’t know how to say this,” he began, “but Dad, I am a male-to-female transsexual.”

“I love you,” said his father, who suddenly understood inconsistencies he’d noticed in David’s childhood. “It doesn’t matter who you are.”

David wept. Happily.

Workplace issues

In September, David legally became Jessica Renee. He picked it because it sounded active, happy and outgoing — all things he didn’t used to be.

As Jessica’s tall body changed, she worried about gaining weight from the extra hormones. But her 220 pounds dwindled to 170.

The department told her to dress as a man at work. She found switching hard.

Her recently pierced ears posed a problem. If she removed the starter studs, the holes would close. When supervisors complained, she inserted small clear plastic tubes.

Three times, she forgot. Her Metro Patrol supervisor wrote her up. She also got in trouble for forgetting to remove her pink nail polish, which one sergeant called “ostentatious.”

In January, Jessica composed a two-page memo asking to dress according to police women’s standards, which allow earrings, fingernail polish and long hair. All her supervisors, including Police Chief Jim Corwin, approved.

Then there were the bathrooms. Neither the men nor the women wanted to share.

To solve that, the department designated a unisex bathroom in each police facility.

As for searching female prisoners, officials decided after some discussion that Jessica had to do it as if she were male, using the backs of her hands.

Co-workers reacted differently, she says.

The department did not allow interviews with Jessica’s co-workers for this story, but privately, some officers said they were embarrassed.

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    We've been there and done that.. and let me tell ya, he's, I'm she's got a great rack.. and I am not joking. Face like a can of busted assholes, but nice set of perfect c-cups. haha

Sometimes I wish I had implants.. I'd never leave the house. I stare at them in the mirror all day. And I'd love how my mates would comment about them when I walked in to the room, "Hey man, nice breasts." It would be so cool.

Cheech Guest
    As long as she / he is down to back up another officer

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    As long as she / he is down to back up another officer
    In all seriousness, isn't that what it's all about?

Two things that are important to me at work. That you pull your share of the files (and I can live with a slug). But more importantly, that the person will be there to back you up.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    The other night there was only three of us on in the whole city. Me and two females who are very little. But you know what, I trust them with my life. They are great officers, despite thier sizes. As long as you can do the job, I don't care who you are.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Right. But this person should have never passed a Psych eval!

Also, I don't see shemales getting too much respect on the street....
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Unless you honestly can't tell.

I wouldn't have a problem working with him/her. As long as they take their share of calls, back me up, and pull their own weight, I could care less who I'm working with.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

HELLO PEOPLE READ THE F-ING STORY

He thought about his mom, who died 15 years earlier of cancer. He wanted to join her.

One day, David sat in the shower, crying, until the water turned cold. He stepped out, pulled on his pajamas and sat on the bed with his duty handgun and a pen and paper. He wanted to write a farewell letter to his father, but no words came. How could he explain?

Crying, he picked up the handgun.

I’m done, he thought. I don’t know how to deal with this.

This person is a nutjob and should NOT be in law enforcement.
    You can state all of this PC bullshit all day long but I DO care who I work with. I demand to work with a mentally stable officer when my ass is on the line everyday, not a transgender nutjob who wants to kill themself because they are confused.
    Last edited by Iron Man; 06-04-07 at 09:31 PM.
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post

You can state all of this PC bullshit all day long but I DO care who I work with. I demand to work with a mentally stable officer when my ass is on the line everyday, not a transgender nutjob who wants to kil themself because they are confused.
    x2
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Law Enforcement Code of Ethics

As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality, and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession - Law Enforcement.
    Is this the example that you want of your department?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post

You can state all of this PC bullshit all day long but I DO care who I work with. I demand to work with a mentally stable officer when my ass is on the line everyday, not a transgender nutjob who wants to kill themself because they are confused.
    oh yeah i forgot about that part...ya know...the depression....suicide aspect of his story.

Good call.

I'm an idiot.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

its all good.
    there next to it.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cst.SB View Post
    Face like a can of busted assholes
    that is the funniest thing i have heard in quite some time. On a related note, this may be the weirdest story I have ever heard. Imagine the shit this man/woman/brother/sister must put up with...hope it was worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Which locker room would she/he use???

If I put on a wig & a padded bra, could I use the women's locker room? That might be worth the jeers - Man, that would be SWEET!!!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    interesting.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Which locker room would she/he use???

If I put on a wig & a padded bra, could I use the women's locker room? That might be worth the jeers - Man, that would be SWEET!!!
    In Oregon you could. Our legislature just passed a law that basically says that you can be whatever you feel like being. You wouldn't even have to put on the bra and wig. Just say that you feel like a woman today and you could use their locker room.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    interesting.
    Dont get any ideas gozzy.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Dont get any ideas gozzy.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    In Oregon you could. Our legislature just passed a law that basically says that you can be whatever you feel like being. You wouldn't even have to put on the bra and wig. Just say that you feel like a woman today and you could use their locker room.
    Hell, I'm going to Oregon. Who's with me?
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

blackcamaro8895 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    This is me, guys. Take it or leave it. LMFAO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information