Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice

Wink Those wacky Muslims

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,277449,00.html

Iranian Minister Calls for Temporary Marriages to Fulfill Sexual Desires
    Sunday, June 03, 2007

TEHRAN, Iran Iran's hard-line interior minister is encouraging temporary marriages as a way to avoid extramarital sex, a stance many in this conservative country fear would instead encourage prostitution.

A temporary marriage, or "sigheh," refers to a Shiite Muslim tradition under which a man and a woman sign a contract that allows them to be "married" for any length of time, even a few hours. An exchange of money, as a sort of dowry, is often involved.

Although the practice exists, it's not very common in Iran, a Shiite majority nation where many consider it a license for prostitution. Others, however, have advocated institutionalizing the tradition, saying it would help fight "illicit" sex in a country where sexual relations outside marriage are banned under Islamic law.

"Temporary marriage is God's rule. We must aggressively encourage that," state-run television quoted Interior Minister Mostafa Pourmohammadi as saying.

The minister, who made his comments Thursday, was the first Iranian official to support the disputed practice in more than a decade. Former Iranian President Hashemi Rafsanjani raised the issue in the early 1990s but was opposed by the country's hard-line clerics.

"We have to find a solution to meet the sexual desire of the youth who have no possibility of marriage," Pourmohammadi was quoted as saying by local newspapers.

Half of Iran's population of 70 million is under 30. Taxi driver Reza Sarabi, 23, expressed the frustration of many young Iranian men who can't afford to buy a house and get married.

"I have no money to set up a matrimonial life. I don't want prostitutes. What should I do with my sexual needs?" he said.

The "sigheh" is banned in Sunni Islam, but similar practices can be found in Sunni countries. One such practice is the "urfi" marriage, an unofficial arrangement that is often kept secret. Although an urfi marriage involves signing a document in front of witnesses, the marriage can be broken by destroying the paper.

In Iran, temporary marriage has been reported as a way some widows and poor women help support themselves. But critics of the practice believe such arrangements only exacerbate the country's prostitution problem and undermine Iran's values.

"It will damage the foundation of the family," said lawyer Nemat Ahmadi, who argues it gives wealthy men religious cover to have affairs. "This will only promote prostitution."

Prostitution was banned in Iran after the 1979 Islamic revolution but has increased in recent years. There are no official statistics available in Iran on the number of prostitutes, but unofficial figures published by some media outlets put the number at several hundred thousand.
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    A couple of months ago I read about the same thing going on in Iraq.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A temporary marriage, or "sigheh," refers to a Shiite Muslim tradition under which a man and a woman sign a contract that allows them to be "married" for any length of time, even a few hours. An exchange of money, as a sort of dowry, is often involved.
    I have heard of this before... but here, its called "prostitution".

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    I have heard of this before... but here, its called "prostitution".
    The way they are looking at it, it's a "you say to-ma-to, I say to-mah-to" kind of thing

mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    I dont see what the prob with that is. Imagine being married and then deciding "hell with this" and instead of having to go through the courts, lawyers, and having to give her half your stuff you can just tear up a piece of paper and your done. that sounds to me like the only thing they have going right over there (dont tell my wife i said that )
    "Be Polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet"

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I kind of like the idea. Kind of.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I wonder if these same men would like it if women wanted to marry just so we could gain temporary access to their credit cards..just to avoid our own debt.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    Well, the good thing with these kinds of "marriages" is they won't have to kill as many rape victims. They'll just marry them, then rape them, and it'll be all good under Sharia Law.

Sharia Law - coming soon to North America. (If CAIR has their way)

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    Here is a quick break down of our future laws......

1. A Muslim cannot be put to death for the murder of an unbeliever. (According to clause #14 of Prophet's Medina-Charter, proudly claimed by Sharia-proponents as "The First Written Constitution in the World".

2. A Muslim man is allowed to beat his wife or wives. - Qura'anic dictum.

3. A Muslim man is allowed to have four wives at one time. - Qura'anic dictum

4. A Muslim man can divorce his wife or wives instantaneously. Then he can marry a new set of wives and continue the cycle. - Corollary of Qura'anic dictum.

5. A Muslim woman must pay money to the husband by court orders to have the marriage dissolved. - Faulty human development on Qura'anic dictum..

6. If a divorced couple wants to remarry each other, the wife must marry another person, must have complete sex with him and must be divorced by him willingly. - Qura'anic dictum.

7. The evidence required in a case of adultery is that of four Muslim adult men - Faulty human development on Qura'anic dictum.

(Which is why many rape victims are put to death or imprisoned - over 6000 are imprisoned in Pakistan as I type this)

8. Women's testimony is not accepted in cases of adultery or in any capital offence. - Faulty human development.

9. Evidence of a female singer and slave (male or female) is not admissible. - Faulty human development.

10. Testimony of a non-Muslim that has been punished for false accusation is inadmissible. If s/he later becomes a Muslim, her/his evidence is then admissible. -Faulty human development.

11. The Judge of the Court shall be a Muslim. The Judge may be a non-Muslim only if the accused is a non-Muslim. -Faulty human development.

12. Adoption is not allowed in Sharia. - Faulty human development on Qura'anic dictum.

13. Custody of children goes to mother as long as the kids need care, normally 9 years for boys and 7 for girls, after which the father takes over. But if the mother does not pray or gets married, the kids immediately go to the father. - Faulty human development.

14. Women inherit half of men. - Faulty human development on Qura'anic dictum..

15. Women's witness is half of men's in business transactions. - Faulty human development on Qura'anic dictum..

16. If a woman is killed, the blood money (the money a killer has to pay to the family of the killed on demand to get acquitted) is half of that of a Muslim man. - Faulty human development on Qura'anic dictum.

17. Apostates (Muslims who leave Islam) automatically get death penalty. If not available for killing, their marriage is dissolved and they cannot inherit from Muslim parents or children. - Faulty human development on Qura'anic dictum.

18. Muslim men can marry Christian and Jews women but Muslim women can marry only a Muslim man. - Faulty human development on Qura'anic dictum.

19. A Muslim virgin cannot marry without permission of her male guardian.- Faulty human development on Qura'anic dictum.

20. A man can marry a woman for a fixed time, from few hours to several years (Mu'ta Marriage, - Sharia of Shia sect.). Rich men from the Middle East travel to Southern India to take advantage of this law on financially poor women, so do rich Iranian men on their women. The misery of those women and children born out of this practice are beyond comprehension. - Faulty human development.
    Last edited by Cst.SB; 06-04-07 at 11:45 AM.

213th is offline Solipsist
    oops
    Last edited by 213th; 06-04-07 at 02:27 PM.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Threads merged.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information