Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Exclamation Police Search For Kidnapped Teen

Family Says Car Found But ATM Card, Cell Phone Missing

POSTED: 10:26 am CDT June 3, 2007
    UPDATED: 8:21 pm CDT June 4, 2007
    Email This Story | Print This Story
    OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- Police are searching for an 18-year-old woman who they said was kidnapped near a busy Overland Park shopping center.

KMBC reported that Kelsey Smith, a recent graduate of Shawnee Mission West High School, was abducted Saturday night after shopping for a gift at Target near Oak Park Mall.

Police said enhanced security video from the Target parking lot showed someone force Smith into her car.

Family members said they later found her car across the street in front of Macy's. Her purse and keys were inside the car, but her ATM card and cell phone were missing. Authorities said surveillance video from the Macy's parking lot was not clear enough to identify the person who drove her car.

Officials said Smith's ATM card and cell phone have not been used since the kidnapping.

"Please call the Overland Park police or the TIPS Hotline and let us know where she is at. We just want our baby back, that's all," said Kelsey's father, Greg Smith.

"She's just a great person, full of life. Never hurt anyone -- the sweetest girl you'll meet," said Stevie Hockersmith, the victim's sister. "I just hope they give her back."

Smith is 5 feet 6 inches tall and 120 pounds with long brown hair and brown eyes. Police said Smith was last seen wearing a pink tank top and black shorts.

Smith's car is a gray, 1987 Buick Regal. Police ask anyone who saw the car on Saturday night at about 7:10 p.m. to call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS.

Friends and family members searched the area near Oak Park Mall on Monday and went door to door to hand out fliers. A $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads police to Smith.
    "We couldn't believe how many people came out here to help us. I just want to thank everybody who took time to help us find our daughter. God bless you all and we love you," Greg Smith said.

Here's a link to an update on the story.

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...96/detail.html
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    According to one of the updates, her father is in LE.

Prayers that she is found well and quickly.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    geesh.. i hope she has one of those traceable phones..
    I really hope this is not related to her dad and that she is found ok!
    how awful
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I don't think this looks good. Their person of interest looks pretty young and will probably do something stupid. I hope they get her back safe and well.

Unhappy update

Kelsey Smith Found Dead: Police ID Suspect, May Face Death Penalty
    By Jack Ryan
    Jun 6, 2007
    Kelsey Smith has been confirmed dead and police now have an ID on Kelsey Smith's abductor. Police found the body Kelsey Smith in a shallow creek 20 miles east of the Target Store at about 3:10 PM EST.

Police have ID'd Kelsey Smith's abductor, but have not released a name. He lives 2 miles from where Kelsey's body was found. The suspect crossed state lines from Missouri into Kansas and the suspect will now be up for the death penalty in Kansas.

Police were searching an area heavily after tracking the pings from Kelsey Smith's cell phone. Kelsey Smith disappeared on Saturday around 7PM.

Whoever had Kelsey Smith, or her cell phone, was on the move because it had pinged from the three different locations.

That is just so awful...
    glad she had the kind of cell phone that pings... at least.

may he freaking fry.

We dallied under
    But instead
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Oh man, i didn't know they found her dead
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Verified LEO
    I figured that would be the out come. Just makes me damn mad that a young girl can't go to a store in broad daylight and not have to worry. Too bad the dirt bag din't do something stupid that he could have gotten his just reward.

Verified LEO
    Well, I'm glad they made the arrest. How much anyone want to bet she was not his first victim?

Officials: Kelsey Smith Died of Strangulation
    Friday, June 08, 2007

OLATHE, Kan. Kelsey Smith's cause of death was strangulation and there is also evidence of a struggle as she tried to fend off her abductor and eventual killer, FOX News has learned.

A high-ranking law enforcement source told FOX News that there is also evidence the 18-year-old abducted last Saturday was stalked. Video surveillance evidence from that day the day she was abducted from a Target Parking lot in Overland, Kan. shows the suspect walking out of Target four-and-a-half minutes ahead of Smith. He then directly passed her car and waited for her to reach her car before running over and forcing her into her car around 7:10 p.m.

Edwin R. Hall was charged Thursday with first-degree murder and aggravated kidnapping in Smith's death. Prosecutors said they would consider seeking the death penalty against Hall. His bond is set at $5 million.

"If we believe the crime is severe enough, and we do in this case, we will go to the jurisdiction that provides the most severe penalty," said Phill Kline, Johnson County district attorney. "The discussions continue almost around the clock."

Many of those discussions have been with Eric Melgren, U.S. attorney for the District of Kansas, who said Thursday it is too soon to tell whether federal prosecutors will get involved.

"Phill has called me about the case several times and I have told him to let me know if there was anything we can do to help," Melgren said.

Kline's office said Friday that Smith was strangled with a ligature, although spokesman Brian Burgess would not say exactly what was used.

Hall's attorney, Paul Cramm, did not immediately return a call seeking comment. Cramm filed notice with the court Friday that he would be representing Hall and requested prosecutors' evidence against his client.

Investigators said they believe Hall is the same man whose blurry image shows up in the store's surveillance video, and whose Chevrolet pickup is seen pulling into the parking lot soon after Smith parked her car there.

Investigators still not sure if Smith was killed in Kansas or in Missouri. Search teams found her body just across the Kansas border near a lake in Missouri on Wednesday about 20 miles from where she was abducted. They have not yet announced the cause of death.

The law enforcement source would not say how Smith was restrained to get her to Missouri. When asked by FOX News whether law enforcement was looking at possible accomplices, and whether Hall had help, the source said "not at this time," but that "I wouldn't rule it out" that he did have help.

The source said Hall was familiar with the area where Smith's body was left. FOX News had earlier reported that the suspect in Smith's death lived several miles away from the area in which Smith was found.

The source also would not reveal whether Hall had a juvenile criminal record.

Meanwhile, on his page on the popular Internet networking site MySpace.com, a man who calls himself "Jack" considers himself a "Sweet Troubled Soul." "Jack" says he is interested in "eating small children and harming small animals."

And he bears a striking resemblance to the 26-year-old Hall.

On the MySpace page, whose existence was first reported by someone who posted a link to it on The Kansas City Star's crime blog, the man says his favorite movies are "anything that pushes the envalope, A clockwork Orange, Srangeland and lets not forget horror movies!!!! yea scary (or cheesy)like."

He uses only the name "Jack," by which Hall is known to neighbors. The person on the MySpace page also uses the same age and location as Hall, and a person with the same name as his wife, Aletha, has a page linked to "Jack's" profile.

In a photo on the page, the man is posing with a young boy. Neighbors said Hall and his wife have a 4-year-old son.

Hall was being held at a Johnson County jail in Gardner, and appeared in court Thursday via a video feed looking tired and downcast. He spoke briefly, waiving reading of the charges until he could hire his own attorney. His next appearance was scheduled for June 14.

Smith's parents, Greg and Missey Smith, attended the brief hearing, accompanied by Kline. Missey Smith told CNN's Nancy Grace on Thursday night that she watched the hearing "because he was there and she wasn't."

"And I know she always told me, Mom, I've got your back, so I had to be there to have hers," she said.

If convicted, Hall faces a minimum sentence of 25 years to life in prison for the murder charge and more than 12 years for aggravated kidnapping, Kline said. Authorities have not said how or where Smith was killed.

Kline said it was unclear if the case would be tried in state or federal court. But he said the death penalty would be a possibility in either jurisdiction.

Smith's sister, Stevie Hockersmith, 23, and several supporters also attended the hearing. Hockersmith left without speaking to reporters.

Overland Park Police Chief John Douglass said there was no evidence that Hall and Smith knew each other. He and Kline both have declined to offer a motive for the attack.

Shortly after Kelsey's body was found Wednesday in a wooded area about 20 miles east of the Target store, detectives were talking with Hall. A tip from the public led them to Hall, who has been living with his wife, Aletha, and 4-year-old son in Olathe, a Kansas City suburb.

Their next-door-neighbor, Cameron Migues, 30, said he and his wife laughed when they noticed a similarity between Hall and the man pictured on the surveillance video. But that changed after the video of the truck was released.

"We put two and two together," said Migues, who called a police hot line Wednesday morning.

One day earlier, he said Hall's son had been in his backyard playing with Migues' 3-year-old son. Migues said he hasn't seen Hall's wife or son since then.

Neighbor Harold Barry, 50, said he was surprised when he heard Hall had been arrested. He also said Hall seemed especially close to his son.

"He loved his son his so much," Barry said. "He had his small kid in that truck every time I saw him."

i hope his dna is under her fingernails

We dallied under
    But instead
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and