Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO

30,000 Apply For Police Department

30,000 Apply For Police Department Jobs; Salary Key
    By FRANK ELTMAN
    Associated Press Writer

EAST ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) -- The exam isn't until Saturday, but 29,300 people apparently have already done the math.

With a starting salary more than double that of the nearby NYPD -- and potential patrols on sandy beaches or quiet suburban streets -- tens of thousands of potential recruits have plunked down a $100 entrance fee to take the Suffolk County Police Department entrance exam.

It is believed to be one of the largest numbers of applicants to ever sign up for a police test in the United States.

"We're very excited that we're bucking the national trend of police departments having recruiting problems," said Lt. Robert Donohue, who is in charge of Suffolk County's recruiting effort. "We have an overwhelming number; we have the pick of the litter."

A big reason for the droves of potential recruits is the salary. Suffolk County pays newcomers to the police department $57,811, and that figure climbs to a top salary of $94,417. And that doesn't include the overtime that often pushes officers' annual salaries well above six figures.

The numbers easily dwarf the salaries of the officers who patrol the streets of New York City. New hires at the NYPD start at $25,100, then receive $32,700 after six months and $34,000 after 18 months.

With enough people to fill the Nassau Coliseum twice over, Suffolk officials are conducting their test Saturday at nearly 50 schools across eastern Long Island.

Those who score best on the exam, which tests applicants on "general knowledge of all areas of life," according to Donohue, will be eligible for the expected 100 openings a year over the next four years on the 2,700-member police force.

Donohue didn't have statistics on the largest number of applicants ever to take the test, but believes the 29,300 represents a record for departments in the region, perhaps the country. Applicants must pay the $100 fee, be between 18 and 34 and be a high school graduate or have a GED diploma.

Michael White, a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, said the strong interest "is a little surprising. For the last several years police departments in major metropolitan areas have been understaffed."

In New York City, for example, 700 to 800 officers will be hired out of the next Police Academy class -- far short of the department's goal of 3,000 officers. Until 2005, the starting pay for new NYPD officers was about $36,000, but that was slashed as part of an arbitrator's decision.

Chief of Personnel Rafael Pineiro told a New York City Council hearing this week that the NYPD believes "the difficulty in attracting a significant number of qualified candidates ... is due primarily to the low starting salary while recruits are undergoing their initial training in the Police Academy."

The pay is so high in Suffolk County largely because of arbitration rulings in the past several decades in favor of the county's police unions.

Donohue said approximately 30 percent of the officers who are eventually hired have experience working in neighboring police departments, particularly the NYPD. Though Suffolk County has its share of crime, with a growing gang problem and other issues, working conditions are generally considered better than for an officer in New York City.

"It's not just about the money," Donohue said. "They are able to reduce their commutes and Suffolk County has a terrific reputation as a great place to live."

William Murphy, 33, of Riverhead, used to work as a stock broker on Wall Street, but said he has always dreamed of being a police officer. He signed up to take the test.

"For me, the money is secondary," said Murphy, who is currently an administrator in Suffolk County government. "You can always get a good-paying job, but I've always wanted to be a positive role model for the kids and the community."
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    "For me, the money is secondary," said Murphy, who is currently an administrator in Suffolk County government. "You can always get a good-paying job, but I've always wanted to be a positive role model for the kids and the community."
    umm has this guy traveled around much? lol

anyway... sounds interesting..
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Claude Baulz is offline Officer First Class
    Nassau County (the other half of Long Island) PD is also having a test soon, with almost the same salary structure. I'll bet they have been swamped with applications as well.
    Never have so many owed so much to so few.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    May this be a lesson for other departments to learn...

Pay packages attract (and retain) more qualified candidates.

Pay police, like your life depends on it. One day, it might.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    30,000 Apply For Police Department Jobs; Salary Key

The exam isn't until Saturday, but 29,300 people apparently have already done the math.

With a starting salary more than double that of the nearby NYPD -- and potential patrols on sandy beaches or quiet suburban streets -- tens of thousands of potential recruits have plunked down a $100 entrance fee to take the Suffolk County Police Department entrance exam.

Those who score best on the exam, which tests applicants on "general knowledge of all areas of life," according to Donohue, will be eligible for the expected 100 openings a year over the next four years on the 2,700-member police force.
    WTF $100 for an entrance fee just to test!!!

With salaries like that you would think that department would be pickier on their requirements.
    I doubt they are going to hire Joe Nobody off the street with a GED (most likely half of their applicants) over a qualified lateral.
    Oh well, his 100 bucks is still good though... Ka-Ching$$$

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    WTF $100 for an entrance fee just to test!!!

With salaries like that you would think that department would be pickier on their requirements.
    I doubt they are going to hire Joe Nobody off the street with a GED (most likely half of their applicants) over a qualified lateral.
    Oh well, his 100 bucks is still good though... Ka-Ching$$$
    Suffolk County PD does not not accept "laterals". You get hired as a recruit and have to go through the academy.

I can't remember for sure, but I think they require 60 college credits.

Why would you say they weren't picky? Hey, they'll let anyone take the test, but since they usually hire less than 100 per year they are VERY picky about who gets hired.

And as a side note, over 40,000 people signed up to take the NYC Department of Sanitation exam!

The City practically has to beg people to take the PD test though...

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    When I took the NYPD test back in 93, there were about 40,000+ people taking it. They had to use high schools all over NYC and the 5 boroughs to fit everyone. Back when they gave the test in about 97 or so, that number dropped to under 10,000 and maybe even near 7000.
    I took the Suffolk test in 03 or so, They scored me an 83. I scored over 90 in every other test I have taken. Its all about 2 things, skin and gender. IMHO. At that time, I had about 8 yrs in police work, hostage negotiator, FTO, Instructor developement, almost had my motorcycle training, no disciplinary actions etc. .
    MODEL employee if I might say so
    Oh and I knew the captain of the I.A. unit. Family friends from back in the 70s. DIdnt matter, Iam a white male and I guess I didnt fit their profile.
    The test is NOT a right or wrong answer test, like 2+2= 4.
    Its more of a personality type test. They can score how they see fit.

Oh well, Im not bitter , can ya tell
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    That isn't the largest. 1984's Chicago Police Exam brought out 36,000 applicants.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    In New York City, for example, 700 to 800 officers will be hired out of the next Police Academy class -- far short of the department's goal of 3,000 officers. Until 2005, the starting pay for new NYPD officers was about $36,000, but that was slashed as part of an arbitrator's decision.

The pay is so high in Suffolk County largely because of arbitration rulings in the past several decades in favor of the county's police unions.
    What accounts for the differences between arbitration rulings in these neighboring departments?

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    What accounts for the differences between arbitration rulings in these neighboring departments?
    Damn good question. It's really a disgrace.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude Baulz View Post
    I can't remember for sure, but I think they require 60 college credits.
    Why would you say they weren't picky?
    "Applicants must pay the $100 fee, be between 18 and 34 and be a high school graduate or have a GED diploma."

^^^^
    Just going by what the article said...

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Money is secondary?

Bullshit! Everyone goes where the money goes, especially for doing basically the same job.

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    Jenna......NYC is al;most a state unto itself......binding arbitration was in effect for all Police Officers OUTSIDE the city until a few years ago. The arbitrators are mandated to compare regional salaries when determining an award for a particular union. So Suffolk would point out that Nassau made more and vice-versa, as the leap-frogged over each other. The arbitrators only consider the locales ability to pay to a small degree. And since both Nassau and Suffolk have their own taxing authority, the arbs felt free to award high salaries. i know that Suffolk has a separate Police District tax, I'm not sure about Nassau but likely. These are property taxes, not income taxes. New York City has rather low property taxes for the value of the property in the City, instead it receives most of its tax funding through income taxes and is not allowed to tax commuters from outside the city (except City employees). The City claims this reduces its ability to pay its cops appropriately, since doing so would mean a rise in either the income or property tax.

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    "Applicants must pay the $100 fee, be between 18 and 34 and be a high school graduate or have a GED diploma."

^^^^
    Just going by what the article said...
    Thats the requirement to take the test, not to be hired.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    [B]
    Pay police, like your life depends on it. One day, it might.

Im not sure how the decisions of police pay work, but whoever thinks that police dont need good pay need to see what it's like to get up everymorning, and have to put on a bullet proof vest on just to go to work. Because there is a risk of you getting shot because of the work uniform you wear. Fucking ignorant bastards

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Just look at the quality of the current NYPD recruit...

Thread Information