Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Thumbs up Troopers Ban Non-English Speaking Trucker

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/13454116/detail.html
    POSTED: 12:42 pm CDT June 6, 2007

GREENWOOD, Neb. -- The Nebraska State Patrol stopped a truck driver who only speaks Russian, and told him he can go no further until he learns the language, Omaha TV station KETV reported.

Survey: Ban Non-English Speakers?

"Sir, I need your papers. I need your papers. All of your papers. Log book, registration, yes," a trooper said during a truck safety stop operation near Greenwood.

The trucker had all his documents in order and a valid commercial driver's license, but he couldn't communicate with state troopers. Under the law, troopers were forced to make the driver park his truck and take him out of service.

They talked to his boss on the phone.

"You need to tell your driver he is out of service until he can understand English," Trooper Jeremy Radford told the boss over the telephone.

The driver was still obviously confused and tried to drive away.

Troopers said they are having more and more problems with language barriers.

Federal regulations said that commercial drivers should be able to read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public. But 17 states and the District of Columbia offer the commercial driver's license test in foreign languages.

Nance Harris of the Nebraska Trucking Association said there's a reason some trucking companies are hiring professional drivers from out of the country.

"Current estimates are that we have a shortage of about 30,000 drivers," Harris said. "It isn't a question of them not understanding the trucking industry or safe driving. They simply need some time to be more conversant in English."

Troopers said the citation has entirely to do with safety because commercial drivers need to be able to read all signs and traffic warnings, especially driving a rig that weighs about 80,000 pounds.

The trucker was stranded at the weigh station until he could find a ride, or for someone from his company to come pick him up along with his truck. Troopers said they will help him do that, but said some drivers have waited at the weigh station for as long as three days for someone to come get them.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Hopefully the rest of the country will follow suit.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Federal regulations said that commercial drivers should be able to read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public.
    Subpart B Qualification and Disqualification of Drivers

391.11 General qualifications of drivers.

(a) A person shall not drive a commercial motor vehicle unless he/she is qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle. Except as provided in 391.63, a motor carrier shall not require or permit a person to drive a commercial motor vehicle unless that person is qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

(b) Except as provided in Subpart G of this part, a person is qualified to drive a motor vehicle if he/she

(b)(1) Is at least 21 years old;

(b)(2) Can read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records;
    The troopers are precisely correct, and should also fine the company employing such drivers (read the part about ...a motor carrier shall not require or permit a person to drive a commercial motor vehicle unless that person is qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

Trucking companies can scream "driver shortage" all they want. They use such whines as an excuse to hire unqualified drivers straight out of 4-week truck driving schools and treat the havok that they wreak on the highways as a 'cost of doing business'.

Its good to see that these Nebraska troopers are serious about safety, are knowlegeable of the FMCSR (federal regulations) and don't mind aggressively enforcing the laws on the books. Great job!

Perhaps if the States who are offering the CDL tests in foreign languages were more concerned about safety and security, and less about collecting the CDL "tax", we'd enjoy a safer and more secure future.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Claude Baulz is offline Officer First Class
    Couldn't agree more. In fact, I think it should be the same for regular drivers. How can you drive if you can't read signs? I know alot of them are non-word "universal" signs but there is still alot to read out there.

And how many times have you stopped someone, asked for their license, and got a blank stare in return - followed by the obligatory "no speak eeenglish"?
    Never have so many owed so much to so few.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    We do the same thing to those that do not speak English
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    We hear that crap all the time down here. "no habla englis"....My reply is "I guess we'll get the ICE unit out here". All of the sudden someone chimes in "I speek a leetle Englis"........
    12 of them renting a $400 a month beatup trailer with mattresses on the floor, and two $50,000 F250's sitting in the driveway...

Being a single language individual like myself, I can only assume that when a group of people start talking in a strange language around me, they are plotting to overthrow the government and kill me, so I take a defensive posture.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by JSO85360 View Post
    We hear that crap all the time down here. "no habla englis"....My reply is "I guess we'll get the ICE unit out here". All of the sudden someone chimes in "I speek a leetle Englis"........
    12 of them renting a $400 a month beatup trailer with mattresses on the floor, and two $50,000 F250's sitting in the driveway...

Being a single language individual like myself, I can only assume that when a group of people start talking in a strange language around me, they are plotting to overthrow the government and kill me, so I take a defensive posture.
    doesn't that just kill you! lol I can understand a lot of spanish now but still don't speak but a little... funny when we do mention ICE all of a sudden they magically find the words to talk... amazzahzing!
    glad it doesn't just happen to me!
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage