Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Question Nevada Bans HOA Speeding Tickets

I'm either in favor or opposed depending on a point I'm unclear about. Are these public roads within a HOA area or private roads? I get the impression they're public roads.

If public, no of course they shouldn't be able to ban murdercycles or impose fines. (running radar for other purposes is another matter as we've discussed in depth previously) If private roads, they should be able to ban and enforce any thing they like.

Nevada Bans HOA Speeding Tickets
    http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/17/1799.asp

The Nevada state legislature votes to ban homeowners associations (HOA) from issuing speeding tickets and placing restrictions on motorcyclists.

The Nevada legislature on Thursday sent a bill to Governor Jim Gibbons (R) that would, if signed, prohibit homeowners' associations from discriminating against motorcyclists and issuing speeding tickets to motorists. State Representative Francis Allen (R-Clark County) introduced the bill to rein in the powers of associations in dozens of areas which was adopted by a 42-0 vote in the Assembly and a 19-2 Senate vote.

Of interest to motorcyclists is a provision nullifying restrictions on riding a properly licensed motorcycle in a community. The move is designed to prevent homeowners' boards from banning motorcycles on aesthetic or other grounds.

Allen's measure also bans associations from using radar guns or any "other device designed to gauge the speed of a vehicle" for the purpose of issuing fines. The provision, in effect, stops associations from issuing speeding tickets within a community. In 2005, a Texas state legislator proposed a bill that would have given a green light to community speeding tickets. The proposal failed.

The full text of Allen's legislation is available in a 145k PDF file at the source link below.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2007/nv-ab396.pdf

Cheech Guest
    Ok let me vent. I cannot fuckin stand the Homeowners associations , They are absolute fuckin nazis. I didnt even know they wanted to be able to issue citations. THeyd get their asses kicked literally and would abuse that power. They abuse their powers now. They go around daily looking for shit wrong with your house. THey seriously are oblivous and stupid. We had it snow here which is very, very, very rare in Las Vegas . It froze alot of vegetation. One week later the HOA sends a letter that our plants are dead we need to replace them or suffer a fine.... Stupid. Next was when we had this bush out side trimmed like a ball. One week later we get a letter stating that we need to take that bush down it is " unnatturaly shaped ". When I was in high school I use to skate board, I made a homemade rail and skate in front of my house we recieved numerous citations for having Garbage on the street. ITs very hard to fight with them. Ill be honest they go around daily and nit pick at your house and you get this lovely little nasty gram, or fine. My old neighborhood we had this guy who did it, Well he pissed off the wrong person ( I drove home and low and behold I saw alot of smoke ) because his house "Caught" on fire. Some one burned his shit down. Needless to say none of us gave a shit or felt one bit of sympathy. I felt like telling the HOA his house was unnatural compared to the others. It burnt to the ground and he never lived there again. Fuckin HOA NAZIS.

Cheech Guest
    BTW these are public roads

Claude Baulz is offline Officer First Class
    Let me get this straight. In Nevada, any bozo off the street can write a speeding ticket? What's up with THAT!?
    Never have so many owed so much to so few.

Cheech Guest
    No, They cannot write speed cites, only law enforcement . If it did "ever" go through though I would inform the public on how to go on stand and eat these people alive and show them how to beat the ticket. Again, Fuckin nazis

Claude Baulz is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    No, They cannot write speed cites, only law enforcement . If it did "ever" go through though I would inform the public on how to go on stand and eat these people alive and show them how to beat the ticket. Again, Fuckin nazis
    So that would mean that these associations have their own police departments? Or they just bring in hired guns? I don't get this - please explain for us Easterners.
    Never have so many owed so much to so few.

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    I know of at least one development in Florida where the HOA has the private security issue traffic tickets. The fines are leveled against ther homeowners and are not government issued.

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I know of at least one HOA near where I live. The roads are public, and open. I suppose a HOA in a gated community (or even one w/o a gate, that it could only be civil, and only against members of the community, as they are the ones who signed the HOA agreements.

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    There have been enough stories over the years about HOA's and the crap they pull that ANYONE who buys in an HOA development has no room to complain anymore. the ONLY recourse is to get enough people that dont like the situation, and try and take over. One HOA i know of was run by the blue-hair crowd. They made rules that were so ridiculous that the majority of the people were up in arms. Their solution was to make the HOA meetings at 10:30am on a wendsday, so that noone other than the retired and elderly could be there to vote on issues. it ended up with everyone else all taking a day off of work when it came time to elect a new board and overturning them. They actually have a GOOD HOA now, believe it or not, they scrapped all of the old rules, and instituted a bylaw that any NEW rules had to be vetted by a 3/4 majority by ballot vote.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    I like my HOA. Itís not as extreme as some may be but its fair along the lines Iím partial too.
    Lawns look decent, no cars permanently parked on the street, no boats, campers in the driveways.. All of the rules of the HOA we agreed to when we moved in.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

drunkhunter is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    We bought a house in a subdivision that did not have a HOA when we completed our purchase. I had it written in to the purchase contract that the property would not be subject to any HOAs that might spring up at a later date.

I live in a very small town that has a very authoritarian mayor. This town has seen a massive development swoon in the past few years. The city council is actually making it a zoning requirement that new subdivisions have HOAs along with playgrounds and cart paths that will tie into a city cart path system that will be built at some point.

Anyway, the signs at the front of the subdivision were starting to deteriorate. Instead of taking up a collection to get the signs repaired or replaced, one resident went to the city council and convinced the city to replace the signs. In return, she agreed to spearhead a movement to establish an HOA in the subdivision. She went around and put notices on all of the mailboxes, and she made the mistake of putting her email address on them.

We had quite the email exchange that ended with her giving up in exasperation. There are 89 houses in the subdivision, and I think that she got at most 15 to support her.

Thread Information