Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

New sign for your car says move over, left-lane hogs

New sign for your car says move over, left-lane hogs

June 11, 2007

BY MATT HELMS

You’ve just gotta love this decal.

A colleague sent word of a movement by Left Lane Drivers of America — check them out at www.leftlanedrivers.org — to get folks to use freeway left lanes for the purposes most of us think they serve: passing slower traffic.

The site offers a $29 windshield decal that, seen from a rearview mirror, carries a simple message: “Move over.” An arrow points to the right. It’s just like how ambulances will have the word “ambulance” painted on the front of their vehicles so that drivers who look through the rearview mirror read the word as it would appear on a printed page.

J.A. Tosti is the guy behind the Web site and the decal. He’s based out of the Portland, Ore., area and says the sign is meant to be blunt but not offensive. Tosti doesn’t advocate tailgating or aggressive driving, instead preferring the sign to be to be more of a courteous tap on the shoulder.

He wants folks who hog the left lane at or below the speed limit to put aside that urge to play cop.

“We need to be more courteous and let people by if they want to go faster,” Tosti told me last week.

He drives around with one of the decals and says so far, he’s not been flipped off or given dirty looks more than a handful of occasions. Sometimes, folks have flashed thumbs-up and smiles.

The decal appears to comport with Michigan law on affixing such things to windshields, Lt. Gary Megge of the Michigan State Police traffic services section told me. The Michigan Vehicle Code says there’s no limit to how dark windows can be tinted. But front driver and passenger-side windows cannot be tinted, and the tinting on windshields must extend no lower than 4 inches from the top.

Tosti says he’s not out to make a fortune on the decal and, so far, he’s spent more on hosting the Web site, paying for the signs and marketing the idea than he’s brought in.

He’s not banking his retirement on it.

Tosti insists the effort is more about making a difference “and getting people to think about this.”

And it’s a perfect time for it, considering this is the National Motorists Association’s Lane Courtesy Month, which urges the same idea. That group is at www.motorists.org.

The left lane should be for faster traffic to pass slower vehicles.

Amen.

Copyright © 2007 Detroit Free Press Inc.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I thought you could pass on either side?
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

cidp24a is offline Master Officer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I would love to have one of those. I can't stand the slow pokes in the left lane.
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History"

"All history becomes subjective; in other words there is properly no history, only biography."

Roses is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    We're suppose to pass on the left. But, sometimes we have to pass on the right. They won't move over!
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

chris2001 is offline Captain
    In the US the left lane is suppose to only be used when passing a vehicle. The right lane is used for normal driving. However it appears lately that most US drivers don't understand this and will drive under the speed limit in the left hand lane and stay there the entire time.

I am actually have tempted to start stopping these folks for impeding (sp) the flow of traffic.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I think I need one of these from my patrol car!!
    Might help with the people going slow cause they see your vehicle.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    i was thinking the same thing. people are by nature stupid.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpuclik2 View Post
    I think I need one of these from my patrol car!!
    Might help with the people going slow cause they see your vehicle.
    +1 I'm going to run it by Chief next time I see him.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    The problem has more to do with insufficient freeway capacity than it does the drivers. I usually set my cruise control at 8 or 9 over the limit on the freeway. I pass some vehicles, but plenty are going faster than me. I'm not going to get in the right lane and get slowed down by other traffic just so somebody else can go 15 or 20 over the speed limit. I'll move over when it's clear. And likewise, when somebody is going slower than me in the left lane, I don't get pissy as long as they're passing slower traffic. It's only when they pace the right-lane traffic that I get annoyed.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    The old fashioned rules from 2 lane highways are, keep right. The left lane is for passing.

In Washington State, the law is yield to the right if more then 5 vehicles are behind you.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

I think the best is when you have someone going 10 miles under the speed limit in the right lane with someone passing them in the left lane going 9 miles under the speed limit. That's why we need torpedo launchers on cars.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    That's cool - I wonder if those decals are legal in Texas?

Sometimes I see police or state troopers in the left lane going 5 miles under the speed limit, and I wouldn't want to piss them off

Seriously, on LBJ Freeway, we have like 5 lanes each way to choose from - And all 5 lanes usually have some asshole going 50 MPH in a 60 MPH zone, with people going 90 MPH weaving in & out between them - Very dangerous situation. Frequently, the culprit is some old wobbly truck loaded 10 feet high with junk or lawn care equipment that decides he should be in the left lane for some unfathomable reason.

The HOV lanes make it even worse, because in the places that they dump out, merging traffic in the left lane sometimes slows to a crawl, making the middle lanes the fastest, except when someone tries to change to a slow lane & slaps on their brakes instead of speeding up & finding a gap!

It'd be nice if there were devices implanted in the roadway that sensed speed, and made the ride VERY rough for cars on the freeway going slower than prevailing traffic

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

NCC1701 is offline Meat Popsicle
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001 View Post
    In the US the left lane is suppose to only be used when passing a vehicle. The right lane is used for normal driving. However it appears lately that most US drivers don't understand this and will drive under the speed limit in the left hand lane and stay there the entire time.

I am actually have tempted to start stopping these folks for impeding (sp) the flow of traffic.
    I have stopped one guy for that. I gave him the speech and he was pissed that he could not do 50 in the left lane and slam on his brakes. He was mad because the guys behind him would not "go around him" in the right lane.

I wanted to give him a throat chop but had to settle for a warning.

Thread Information