Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Post Friend questions police shooting

A friend of a woman shot dead by police in Kent has questioned whether it was necessary for her to be killed.

Ann Sanderson, 37, was shot in the car park of a department store in Sevenoaks after armed officers were called out to reports of a woman seen with a gun.

Her next-door neighbour, Vivian Bain, of Bethel Road, Sevenoaks, described her as a "kind and lovely" person.

"How could they kill her outright? Couldn't they have shot her arm... rather than kill her?" she asked.

Another neighbour, Victor Mayes, said he knew Ms Sanderson as "Tosh".

"When she first came here about nine years ago she was a little reclusive and a little guarded and in time she started to loosen up."

He said her death had left local residents extremely shocked.

Ms Sanderson, who worked at a guitar string factory in Sevenoaks, died in the early hours of Monday.

It is thought she was the first woman to have been shot dead by UK police for nearly 27 years.

Witnesses described hearing a single gunshot at about 0300 BST in the rear car park of a department store based in Sevenoaks High Street.

An investigation into the shooting is being carried out by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

The IPCC said a firearm was recovered at the scene, but would not comment further on exactly what it was.

A post-mortem examination was being carried out on Ms Sanderson on Tuesday.

A single, anonymous floral tribute has been left at the spot where she died.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6746121.stm

This news just in :- The gun toting womans neighbour Vivian Bain is a moronic idiot who has obviously never spoken to a Police officer or soldier about shooting or life and death situations. Tell you what love next time theres a firearms incident we'll give you a gun and you go shoot the loon in the arm

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    [QUOTE]How could they kill her outright? Couldn't they have shot her arm... rather than kill her?" she asked.[QUOTE]

I don't know about anyone else, but I am not trained to fire a warning shot in the arm. I am trained to shot center mass to eleminate a threat.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    [QUOTE=smokey703;209645][QUOTE]How could they kill her outright? Couldn't they have shot her arm... rather than kill her?" she asked.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am not trained to fire a warning shot in the arm. I am trained to shot center mass to eleminate a threat.
    My thoughts excactly.

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    [quote How could they kill her outright? Couldn't they have shot her arm... rather than kill her?" she asked.[quote]

No! It's scary how some people can't see the "bigger picture!"
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

phantasm is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    "How could they kill her outright? Couldn't they have shot her arm... rather than kill her?" she asked.
    I agree with her 100% I'm SHOCKED and APPALED that they didn't attempt this first. The poor poor lady.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Some people watch way too much TV and fail to live in this plane of reality.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That's why they call it 'deadly force' lady. You don't use it unless you have to, but when you do, its too late to ask 'what if...'

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Days after a friend of mine is killed I'd be wondering why the sky is blue along with every "what if" that I can think of.

Anyone sticking a mic in my face during that time...

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    They don't mention the fact that the woman was a convicted arsonist with a history of mental illness, who also regularly damaged police cars. It is being suggested that this was a Suicide by Cop.

She was the first woman to be intentionally shot and killed in the UK.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    [QUOTE=smokey703;209645][QUOTE]How could they kill her outright? Couldn't they have shot her arm... rather than kill her?" she asked.

+1
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    Personally I think we should move from targeting center mass to the old naval tradition of a shot across the bow...anything to keep the BG from harm.

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Reminds me of a news item about a shooting in NYC.. BG shoots off-duty cop in the foot. Bad guy subsequently gets 5 center-mass, revoking his Birth Certificate. Bad Guys Cousin "Why they shoot him Fi' time?? He only shot that cop once!!!!"

MemphisCop is offline FTO, CIT, MPA, FOP...running out of letters!!!
    In the words of the county sheriff in Florida when asked "Why did they shoot my son 68 times?" His response...."Because we ran out of bullets...."

Now THAT's reality!!!!!!!!

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." --Winston Churchill...

" You tell him we're comin', they've called down the thunder and hell's a'coming!!!!....Wyatt Earp

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisCop View Post
    In the words of the county sheriff in Florida when asked "Why did they shoot my son 68 times?" His response...."Because we ran out of bullets...."

Now THAT's reality!!!!!!!!

I just had this convo at work the other day... someone said when you are on the streets, if you have to shoot someone go for their arm or leg or something... I told her "Ok, you call my mom and let her know I was killed but the suspect only has a leg wound" she didn't think it was funny...

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post

I just had this convo at work the other day... someone said when you are on the streets, if you have to shoot someone go for their arm or leg or something... I told her "Ok, you call my mom and let her know I was killed but the suspect only has a leg wound" she didn't think it was funny...

. . . . and yes, she's correct, it's not funny. You put it in perfect perspective for her and no doubt opened her eyes to the peril that is out there, it's not a TV show, it's the real deal. It is a matter of life or death and if you have to squeeze that trigger, well, I think we all hope that day doesn't come.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Unreal,
    are people really that stupid, we are trained to eliminate the threat, not , umm, argg, nevermind.......

Illiy, that is a very good perspective!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Sure. Shoot 'em in the arm, maim 'em and get sued. And of course, we are all crack shots that can take the time to aim for an arm. And it is no problem for us to not worry about the whole idea of them being able to harm us after being wounded. We like being abused. That's why we are cops.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Anyone who's ever been in deep doodoo can tell you, when its time to shoot, you shoot at whatever in the hell you can hit, as quickly and as accurately as you can. Most of all, your more intricate faculties are compromised as the body responds to the stress of the situation, and the manner in which you trained and have practiced takes over.

Center mass is always preferable for a number of reasons, not the least of which is its the easiest and most expedient target to hit, with the highest probability of ending the confrontation by disabling the attacker. That's why the training is designed to focus upon that area of an attacker. All of this "arm' or 'leg' crap is for television and movies.

Let Segal or Stallone aim for the pinkie finger on the non-gun hand, I'm fighting for my very life if I elect to fire on someone, and its real, not some multi-million dollar two-hour venture into fantasy.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information