Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

VIDEO- dashcam footage of shooting

http://mfile.akamai.com/12884/wmv/vo...89285.200k.asx

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Dashcam video of a Kansas City police officer under fire could bring about a change in department policy.

Police Chief James Corwin said the culprit tried to kill the officer.

On June 5, an officer pulled over the driver of a car reported stolen. Video showed the driver get out of the car and fire 30 rounds while running toward the police officer.

The officer takes cover behind the car's engine block before returning fire. He is expected to recover.

"I want people to see what the men and women of this police department and around the country deal with day in and day out. This is not an isolated incident," Corwin said.

KMBC's Jim Flink reported that Kansas City police officers are increasingly in the line of fire. Last March, two officers were shot near East 31st Street and Agnes Avenue. In April, an officer was shot prior to the shooting rampage at the Ward Parkway Mall.

Corwin said he's considering changing the policy so every squad car is deployed with two officers and more firepower.

"I think we have a more violent society today -- it's not the same community that I policed when I was a young officer. We didn't have these kinds of circumstances," Corwin said.

Frederick D. Darrington Jr. is accused of firing at the officer last week; he was captured and charged. Darrington is the key suspect in more than 20 violent crimes within the past two years, police said.

KC officer reacted quickly in tight spot
    “His training kicked in” and saved his life, says the chief, who will reconsider the single-officer policy.
    By CHRISTINE VENDEL
    The Kansas City Star
    “Officer down! Officer down! I’ve been hit!”

The voice on the police radio is urgent, but not panicked.

“Where are you?” another officer asks by radio.

“40 Highway and Sterling, just south of the QuikTrip, and I don’t know where he (the gunman) is. Send me MAST (ambulance). I might be hit. Definitely in the leg, and I don’t know about the head.”

That audio accompanied video that Police Chief Jim Corwin released Tuesday of a shootout an officer had with a gunman last week involving about 45 bullets fired into the early morning darkness.

Police also displayed photos of the officer’s cruiser, with three holes in the driver’s door, one in the windshield and one the size of a child’s fist in the officer’s laptop computer. Bullets also flattened a tire and broke a window.

Corwin said he released the tapes and photos and displayed the suspect’s gun — a 9 mm semiautomatic machine pistol that can hold 31 rounds — to show what his officers face on the streets.

“This ain’t the movies,” he said. “This is a police officer who goes home to his family and kids.”

Corwin praised the officer.

“He was shot and wounded and still giving instructions. When things got bad, his training kicked in and saved his life.”

A bullet from the initial volley struck the officer in the ankle and traveled up to his knee. Pieces of his computer struck him in the forehead after he dived into his cruiser for cover.

He returned fire, forcing the gunman to flee. A police dog tracked a suspect and bit him in the arm when he resisted. The dog, Soty, also attended Tuesday’s news conference.

The outcome could have been worse, Corwin said. Noting a monument outside Police Headquarters etched with names of officers who died in the line of duty, he said: “There are 119 names on the fallen officer’s monument. It is only by the grace of God that we do not have more.”

That shooting, combined with two other violent attacks against police since March, prompted Corwin to rethink his recent enforcement of a 54-year-old policy to have most officers patrol neighborhoods alone.

Some officers had been riding together, leaving some patrol districts without an assigned officer, something Corwin opposed.

Dispatchers send two officers — whether riding together or separately — to high-priority 911 dispatches such as shootings, robberies and ambulance calls. Lesser-priority calls, such as petty theft, require only one officer.

Corwin said Tuesday that he wanted to reopen the debate and analyze whether officers riding in pairs could be as efficient in some areas as officers riding alone. Efficiency is important, he said, but at times it may need to give way to safety.

An analysis will be complex and time-consuming, he said.

“Maybe they had it right,” Corwin said of the officers who had been doubling up. “I want my organization to know I’m not closed-minded. I want us to be critical thinkers, and that starts at the top.”
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    WOW!

Glad he's alright, that could have turned out much worse. Mega props for keeping his cool and directing people to him.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    WOW!

Glad he's alright, that could have turned out much worse. Mega props for keeping his cool and directing people to him.
    Indeed, amazing. To his quick, and complete, recovery!

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Very cool under pressure and prayers for a quick recovery
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
    He returned fire, forcing the gunman to flee. A police dog tracked a suspect and bit him in the arm when he resisted. The dog, Soty, also attended Tuesday’s news conference.
    Good Soty - I hope he bites hard.

I think Dallas cops need to think about doubling up, too, but that would mean that they need to hire a lot more - They don't have enough as it is - They go call-to-call with no time to do any patrols.

What the hell was that shooting at him, a pimp?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That is some scary stuff! Once again, it goes to prove there is no "routine traffic stop." I pray that all is well with the officer and that the POS that shot him gets anally violated on a regular basis and lives to be 95 in prison.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Amazing video. Definitely a great job done by the Officer involved to direct fellow Officers to his location while under such extreme circumstances like that. Glad he is still here today and I hope the dirtbag who did it dies a painful death.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If that don't give you chills, nothing will.

How many of us know how close we've come to being under fire like that, and through tactics, positioning, divine intervention, suspect hesitation, or just sheer dumb luck, it didn't transpire?

Great job on the part of the officer, prayers for his full recovery. Yet another reminder for us to keep our head out of our ass every shift.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    [QUOTE=countybear;210744]If that don't give you chills, nothing will.

Great job on the part of the officer, prayers for his full recovery. QUOTE]

X2

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    If that don't give you chills, nothing will.

How many of us know how close we've come to being under fire like that, and through tactics, positioning, divine intervention, suspect hesitation, or just sheer dumb luck, it didn't transpire?

Great job on the part of the officer, prayers for his full recovery. Yet another reminder for us to keep our head out of our ass every shift.
    well said
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Countybear, as always, has summed it up incredibly well.

Let the ass raping of the scum commence, preferably by someone with an unnaturally enlarged unit.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

NCC1701 is offline Meat Popsicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Countybear, as always, has summed it up incredibly well.

Let the ass raping of the scum commence, preferably by someone with an unnaturally enlarged unit.
    I will pitch in for a gallon of KY for the dumbass.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC1701 View Post
    I will pitch in for a gallon of KY for the dumbass.
    No lube...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post

No lube...
    Sandpaper? 60 grit?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Lizzy is offline Rookie
    No lube..........let it BURN! (and rip)

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Damn.

God was watching out for that officer.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Thread Information