Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Scores arrested in California immigration raids

Scores arrested in California immigration raids

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...rpc=22&sp=true

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Scores of illegal immigrants, including a man wanted for murder and a convicted child molester, were arrested in Southern California raids this week, U.S. authorities said on Friday.

The sweeps in Orange County, south of Los Angeles, were part of an operation by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement targeting "criminal aliens" -- defined as people in the country illegally who have also committed other crimes.

Of the 175 people arrested, 27 are criminal aliens and another 26 are "immigration fugitives" who had ignored deportation orders by a judge.

The raids were part of larger crackdown on immigration fugitives, which this year has resulted in the first ever decline in their number, to 632,189, according to an agency spokeswoman.

"ICE has been working to aggressively improve the systems that help us identify, target and remove fugitive aliens from the United States," Julie Myers, assistant secretary of homeland security for ICE, said in a statement.

The U.S. Senate is still struggling with a massive immigration overhaul, backed by President George W. Bush, that would legalize millions of illegals despite furious opposition from conservatives.

California, which shares a border with Mexico, has been at the forefront of the debate as its immigrant population has swelled in the past four decades, driving the state's population to more than 37 million.

Among those arrested in the raids was Almarez Reveles Gonzalo, 35, wanted in Mexico for the murder of his 74-year-old uncle, ICE said. He was turned over to Mexican authorities.

Also arrested was Jamie Pena-Martinez, 30, a Mexican national previously convicted of child molestation who was ordered deported.

Most of those arrested in the raids were Mexicans, but others came from India, Kenya, the Philippines and Columbia. Of the 175 arrested, ICE said, 100 had already been deported.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Ianl6 is offline Dreamboy First Class
    I bet that puts the price of gardeners up now (no offence meant to anyone).
    Public conscience message board
    post on a board with a heart.

http://dreamboyuk52.proboards60.com/index.cgi

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Looks like California just opened up 175 new jobs.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

What did the cicada say to the other cicada???????????????

Where did all these Mexicans come from
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Thread Information