Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Anyone care to guess where Bin Laden is hiding?

Pakistan scholars honour Bin Laden in Rushdie row
    by Rana Jawad

June 21st, 2007 (AFP)

ISLAMABAD (AFP) - Pakistani Islamic scholars honoured Osama bin Laden Thursday in response to Britain’s knighthood for Salman Rushdie, as a senior ruling party member said he would not hesitate to kill the novelist.

Meanwhile the country’s religious affairs minister, who caused outrage by remarking that the award given to the “Satanic Verses” author justified suicide attacks, announced that he may visit Britain next month.

The Pakistani Ulema Council, a private body that claims to be the biggest of its kind in the country with 2,000 scholars, said it had given Bin Laden the title “Saifullah”, or Sword of Allah, its top accolade.

“We are pleased to award the title of Saifullah to Osama bin Laden after the British government’s decision to bestow the title of ‘Sir’ on blasphemer Rushdie,” council chairman Maulana Tahir Ashrafi told AFP.

“This is the highest title for a Muslim warrior.” …

Later Afzal Sahi — the speaker of the Punjab province assembly and a member of the Pakistan Muslim League party that backs President Pervez Musharraf — said during a debate that he would murder Rushdie if he saw him.

“I am a Muslim and then a politician and it is ordained in Islam that the punishment for a blasphemer is death. If this man comes in front of me I will definitely kill him,” he said in response to a question by an opposition MP.

During a protest by thousands of people in Lahore against Musharraf’s suspension of the Pakistani chief justice, a large part of the crowd briefly chanted “Death to Britain, Death to Rushdie“, witnesses said…

A comment piece in Britain’s Daily Telegraph said that if Pakistan was so angry about the issue, it should return the 480 million pounds (955 million dollars) in aid promised by Prime Minister Tony Blair last year.

“If this is tainted money, it can presumably be returned,” it said…
    Salman Rushdie wrote a book... Bin Laden oversaw the slaughter of thousands of innocents. How difficult is it to determine which is evil?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    If the "Sword of Allah" turns up in a Long Island pawnshop, or a weapon buy back, it would be advisable to check the servant's quarters at Hillary Clinton's dacha.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Salman Rushdie wrote a book... Bin Laden oversaw the slaughter of thousands of innocents. How difficult is it to determine which is evil?
    Can I have some think music, it just so hard, um, maybe, um, can I call a friend?

*shakes head* ~ and people wonder why there's so many "insurgents" in Iraq!!!

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    However why Salman Rushdie got his Knighthood, only Tony Bliar and his cronies will ever know. Maybe it was for the £10 million or so it cost for the 24 hour protection teams and to make his house secure from attack? Or maybe because he charged the Police rent for allowing his Prot Team to sit in his kitchen?
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Just goes to prove everyone is still jealous of us otherwise why would they care who got a knighthood or react by giving their own 'honours' to people.

Thread Information