Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Illiy is offline Corporal

America's anti-police professional agitators

I hope this isn't a repost... I thought it was a good read....

This week a review panel recommended to the New York City Police Department that all officers involved in a shooting in which someone is injured or killed be breath tested for alcohol. This recommendation came after the controversial shooting of a suspect that had just struck an officer with a vehicle outside of a nightclub. The NYPD quickly accepted this proposal, and it will become policy in September.

What message does this send to the officers out there everyday working to keep the city safe? The message is this: “You can’t be trusted. We think you are all a bunch of drunken cowboys. The criminals you lock-up have more right that you.”

One might ask if an officer was not drinking, why would he care is he was going to be breath tested? A simple answer is this: It’s an insult. It’s unnecessary and excessive and would cast doubt on every shooting by subjecting a police officer to a test for which there is no cause. To be involved in a situation where you had to discharge your firearm, only to be immediately treated like a perpetrator by having your breath tested for alcohol like some drunk that just mowed down a family crossing the street is a slap in the face. The current policy is just fine. If a captain on the scene feels that an officer may have been under the influence of alcohol, then action would be taken.

When you pull over a motorist for some type of traffic violation, you don’t automatically test that person for alcohol. You make an assessment and then based on your observations, if you feel that the person may have been drinking, you conduct field sobriety tests. Imagine the public outcry if you proposed a law that required police officers to breath test every single motorist they pulled over. The ACLU would file an appeal before the ink dried on the new law.

This is no different, except that the public seems to forget that police officers have rights, just like civilians.

So, why these changes now and why was the NYPD so quick to accept this proposal? The real reason is not to ensure officer safety or public safety, as the NYPD insists. In accepting this policy change the NYPD is doing nothing more than pandering to anti-police professional agitators like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson. These men show up following any police involved shooting and attempt to create controversy where none exists, many time successfully, with the help of the media. They claim to be fighting for minorities, when in fact they are just fighting to line their pockets with cash, making money off of accusing honorable police officers of misconduct.

They use buzz words like “brutality,” “racism,” “cover-up” and “corruption” to attract media attention. They use scare tactics and bully their way into situations they have nothing to do. The NYPD panders to them so as not to appear racially insensitive.

In the end, where will this breath test policy change leave us? With just more proof that many police departments would rather just accept the outrageous proposals of cop haters then run the risk of being called racist. Most likely this policy will end up in a court, where it will be found that it is a violation of police officers constitutional rights. All the money spent, articles written and debates had, just to appease the anti-police fridge who make a living off of the misery of others.

Anonymous
    New York City

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Come September if I went to a shooting call and nabbed the perp, I'd put him through a breath test, then I can watch them scream racism and see what happends.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Drug and BAC following a shooting or major MVA is policy here. I have no problem with it because it protects me from any false accusations in later court actions, law suits, etc.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Drug and BAC following a shooting or major MVA is policy here. I have no problem with it because it protects me from any false accusations in later court actions, law suits, etc.
    We have had BAC test after shootings and ANY MVA for yonks and I tend to agree with you Cidp, my butt is covered 100%.

But here in Australia, we can pull over any driver and give them a PBT, drinking or not. So if it's good enough for Joe Public, why should we be above the law. We also can stop any driver and test for drugs, via a mouth swab. So it's only a matter of time before we have random drug testing of LEO's. Oh, we have to be 0.00 BAC when on duty.

Justice has to be seen to be done and in the eyes of public, this seems a fair and just practice. Just my 2c worth.

As for the matter of those that drum up media support for the crook, we live in an age where that sells papers and I agree 100% with the writer in regard to that issue. They want their 15 minutes of fame on the back of the LEO's who have to cope with the shooting to start with, let alone the media hype and fear of having the facts twisted. These f**ktards have an agenda and don't care if one or 12 LEO's get hung out to dry. We have them here as well and no doubt they're in the UK.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I guess I don't find it insulting, for the reasons listed above.

I don't see it so much as the agency looking down on them, as I see it as the agency looking out for them, down the road in terms of civil suits, action taken against their peace officer license, etc.

We have to submit to a blood draw whenever we're involved in a MVA resulting in injury or death while on duty.

I don't know what we have to do with shootings.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I wouldn't find it insulting, either, if I was a cop. In fact, a blood test would be even better because they could test for whatever substances they want.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I wasn't looking for a agree/disagree...

I just thought it was an interesting viewpoint...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post

It is. And I'm not saying you shouldn't have posted that, or whatever....

But the article you posted incited a conversation...which is good.

No worries.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    It is. And I'm not saying you shouldn't have posted that, or whatever....

But the article you posted incited a conversation...which is good.

No worries.
    I thought it was a good read and I think we all understood you didn't write it. I concur with jmur's comments.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    Shite, Does this mean I gotta quit drinking and smoking crack when I'm working?
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    Shite, Does this mean I gotta quit drinking and smoking crack when I'm working?
    Only if you're going to shoot someone.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Illiy, I was scratching my head for a while over this one - when I first saw the headline, I thought it said "America's anti-police professional alligators"

Pretty much any driving profession requires an alcohol & drug test after an accident, so I guess I don't see a problem taking the test after a shooting...

However, what I do object to is what the news media is probably gonna do with it if a test ever comes back positive (much more likely off-duty).... If it's a good shooting, then I don't care if the cop was falling down drunk - It's still a good shooting, but the news media will make it look bad.

Even though it's illegal in Texas to consume any amount of alcohol while carrying a gun (applies to cops as well as civilians), that has nothing to do with anything as far as whether the shooting is justified or not, as long as they hit the intended target and no one else.

And whether a cop (or civilian) is drunk or not, if they ever hit an innocent bystander, it's still a bad shooting no matter which way you slice it - Of course being drunk might be the reason for the bad shooting, or it may not be. That's a separate issue, seems to me.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Hey TXcharlie, I have run into a couple of definite anti-police alligators. (I think they were actually anti-anybody, after being disturbed while minding their own business though)

"It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Hmm, maybe I'm an alligator.

Been called worse! :P

Thread Information