Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Anger at 'lenient' rape sentence

Children's charities have reacted with anger after a window cleaner who raped a 10-year-old girl was jailed for two years.

Keith Fenn, 24, will be free in four months after a judge said the girl had appeared older than her actual age.

The charity Kidscape accused Judge Julian Hall of "trying to find excuses" and said a child must never be blamed.

Attorney General Lord Goldsmith is to decide whether the sentence should be appealed as 'unduly lenient'.

Judge Hall had said that the sentencing had been the most difficult decision he had ever made, but the girl had appeared to be 16.

She was attacked by Fenn and an accomplice in a park in Henley-on-Thames, South Oxfordshire on 14 October last year.

Moral dilemma

Oxford Crown Court heard that Fenn removed her clothes and raped her, while an accomplice, Darren Wright, 34, took her home and sexually assaulted her.

The judge said in sentencing he faced a moral dilemma as the fact they had sex within 45 minutes of meeting was an absolute crime.

But he said the girl had dressed provocatively and looked like she was 16.

He gave Fenn concurrent two-year and 18-month sentences, but he will be free in eight weeks after serving eight months in prison awaiting sentence.

Wright is already free as Judge Hall had already given him a nine-month sentence for inciting the girl to perform a sex act.

'Back to the 1950s'

Dr Michele Elliott, director of Kidscape said the decision had left her "lost for words".

She said: "It takes us back to the 1950s when the victim was blamed if they were dressed provocatively.

"No one in my opinion could mistake a 10-year-old child, even dressed up, for a 16-year-old. They are just trying very hard to find excuses.

"You can never blame a child victim for sexual abuse when excusing the abuser of any kind of abuse."

The NSPCC added: "There is no excuse for having sex with a 10-year-old, no matter how she dresses."

A spokesman for Lord Goldsmith said he had asked the Crown Prosecution Service to send him the papers on the case, and would consider whether or not to refer the sentence to the Court of Appeal as "unduly lenient".

He has 28 days to make a decision.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6237480.stm

Just goes to show the state of our prison system and the effect it's having on sentences, it is getting to be almost impossible to get someone locked up

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'd call it "unduly ignorant"...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    *^^$%^$!#@##%$^^!!!!! *&&%^$$##@##%!!!!!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    *^^$%^$!#@##%$^^!!!!! *&&%^$$##@##%!!!!!
    Exactly
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    suprised that ass-clown of a judge didnt play the "she wanted it" card...what an unbelievably stupid decision....hope the attorney appeals the sentence
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Tony is offline Banned

Anger at 'lenient' rape sentence of a 10 yr old

Monday, 25 June 2007, 17:13 GMT 18:13 UK

Children's charities have reacted with anger after a window cleaner who raped a girl of 10 was jailed for two years. Keith Fenn, 24, will be free in four months after a judge said the girl, who was attacked in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, had appeared older. The charity Kidscape accused Judge Julian Hall of "trying to find excuses" and said a child must never be blamed.

Attorney General Lord Goldsmith is to decide whether the sentence should be appealed against as "unduly lenient".

Oxford Crown Court heard that Fenn raped the girl in a park on 14 October, before an accomplice, Darren Wright, 34, took her home and sexually assaulted her. Judge Hall said in sentencing he faced a moral dilemma as the fact they had sex within 45 minutes of meeting was an absolute crime. But he said the girl had dressed provocatively and looked as though she was 16. (MY COMMENT ~ SO!!! She's 10!!!!)

Lawyers for the defendants stressed that the sex had been consensual, and was only termed 'rape' because of the framework of law. They said the judge stated that doctors who examined the girl believed she was in her mid-teens and she was treated by most people as older than her actual age. The judge gave Fenn concurrent two-year and 18-month sentences, but he will be free in eight weeks after serving eight months in prison awaiting sentence.
    Wright is already free as Judge Hall had already given him a nine-month sentence for inciting the girl to perform a sex act.

Dr Michele Elliott, director of Kidscape said the decision had left her "lost for words". She said: "It takes us back to the 1950s when the victim was blamed if they were dressed provocatively. "No-one in my opinion could mistake a 10-year-old child, even dressed up, for a 16-year-old. They are just trying very hard to find excuses. "You can never blame a child victim for sexual abuse when excusing the abuser of any kind of abuse." The NSPCC added: "There is no excuse for having sex with a 10-year-old, no matter how she dresses."

A spokesman for Lord Goldsmith said he had asked the Crown Prosecution Service to send him the papers on the case, and would consider whether or not to refer the sentence to the Court of Appeal as "unduly lenient". He has 28 days to make a decision.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6237480.stm

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sounds like a bunch of pedophiles running things over there. Including the Judicial System.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Threads merged.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Tony is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    Threads merged.
    Ta, now can you merge those 2 kiddy fiddlers into a lead pipe and drop it into the Thames?? That would be SOOOOO good if you could!!!

Thread Information