Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

For our over sea's LEF'ers

LONDON - Queen Elizabeth II confirmed Gordon Brown as Britain's new prime minister on Wednesday, following the resignation of Tony Blair.

The ex-treasury chief smiled broadly following a meeting at Buckingham Palace, during which the queen asked him to form a new government.

Earlier, Blair submitted his resignation to the queen. With his wife, Cherie, he waved to reporters and then traveled to his constituency in northern England.

Blair received a warm sendoff in the House of Commons, from his opponents as well as members of his own Labour party, after one final appearance at the weekly question time session.

“I wish everyone — friend or foe — well. And that is that. The end,” he said.

Legislators rose to their feet and applauded as he left for his meeting with the queen. Some, including Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett, wiped away tears.

Click for related content
    Newsweek: Blair's legacy
    Labour Party gets bounce
    U.S.: Blair to bespecial envoy
    Blair given eclectic gifts
    Changes at 10 Downing Street

Blair also used the session to say he was sorry for the perils faced by British troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, but he gave no apology for his decisions to back the United States in taking military action.

Blair expressed condolences to the families of the fallen, this week including two in Iraq and one in Afghanistan.

“I am truly sorry about the dangers that they face today in Iraq and Afghanistan,” Blair said.

“I know some may think that they face these dangers in vain; I don’t and I never will. I believe they are fighting for the security of this country and the wider world against people who would destroy our way of life,” he said.

“Whatever view people take of my decisions, I think there is only way view to take of them: they are the bravest and the best,” Blair added.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19451196/
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    And good bloody riddance too! I posted the happy news in This Day in History.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Thread Information