Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Illiy is offline Corporal

Deputy found not guilty...

Not Guilty: Jury Acquits Ex-Deputy in Airman Shooting
    Last Edited: Thursday, 28 Jun 2007, 5:49 PM PDT

A former San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy has been cleared in the videotaped shooting of an unarmed airman after a high-speed chase.
    SideBar

Related Items
    Links
    BLOG IT: Airman Shooting Verdict
    Stories
    Closing Arguments in Airman Shooting Trial
    Videos

San Bernardino, Calif. -- A former San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy was acquitted of all charges Thursday in a videotaped shooting of an unarmed airman, authorities said.

Ivory J. Webb was found not guilty of attempted voluntary manslaughter and assault with a firearm for opening fire on Air Force Senior Airman Elio Carrion in an incident that was videotaped and broadcast around the world, said Susan Mickey, a district attorney's spokeswoman.

The verdict was returned in San Bernardino County Superior Court after a jury deliberated several hours.

Carrion, an Iraq war veteran home on leave, was a passenger in a Corvette that was chased Jan. 29 last year by Webb at 100 mph before crashing into a wall in Chino, about 40 miles east of Los Angeles.

On the grainy, 40-second video clip shot in darkness by an area resident, Carrion can be heard swearing at Webb before the deputy tells him, "Get up! Get up!" Webb, who is shouting expletives himself, then shoots Carrion in the chest, left leg and left shoulder as the victim appears to be obeying the order.

Carrion was hospitalized for several days.

Prosecutors said Carrion did not pose a threat to Webb, who they characterized as angry and not in control of the situation.

Defense attorneys said Carrion's hand was near his chest moments before he was shot -- giving the former deputy the impression the airman was reaching for a weapon.

Carrion testified during the trial he and the driver, Luis Escobedo, had been drinking at a barbecue in his honor after a six-month tour in Iraq.

Webb did not take the stand during the four-week trial. Three witnesses testified for the defense, including a tactics expert who said the shooting was justified and an alcohol expert who testified about the victim's intoxication level.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The people have spoken. I am thankful for their service.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Thread Information