Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Gold Hill, Oregon dismisses entire police department

GOLD HILL, Ore. (AP) -- The contention over Gold Hill's police department is about to end. So is the department.

As of midnight Saturday, Chief Dean Muchow and Sgt. Hank Hobart are out of jobs, and the unpaid reserve officers are dismissed.

"My career statement may have just gone from, 'You're under arrest,' to 'Do you want fries with that?' " Muchow said with a laugh.

The town's insurer threatened to drop liability coverage unless the department was shut down, so the City Council voted May 30 to disband it.

When Muchow was sworn in 30 months ago, he was the city's fourth chief in four years. But departmental problems predate that.

In 1997 then-Police Chief Katie Holmboe was reprimanded by the City Council for selling Mary Kay products while on duty and for using prayer to try to drive evil spirits from a man she thought was possessed.

Muchow was placed on paid administrative leave in late 2006 while allegations of fraud, harassment and other claims were investigated.

"I knew the history of Gold Hill coming into it," said Muchow. "I don't think I've ever been lied to or lied about so much in my whole life. But as a cop, that doesn't come as a surprise."

Muchow's critics said the department wasn't responsive and was mismanaged.

"I don't want to kick the guy when he's down," said Councilman Gus Wolf. "I think he gave it his best shot, but I think the financial mismanagement was the worst thing for me."

"The community will be better served contracting with the sheriff's," said Councilwoman Jan Fish. "Small towns are notorious for having political differences, and small-town police departments reflect the division within the cities."

For his part, Muchow wrote a parable for a local publication calling the council's decision the council's "kill shot." He likened police detractors to "terrorists" and took swipes at the council for pressing the insurance company's "panic button."

Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said he has talked to Gold Hill representatives about a contract and is researching coverage options. Without a contract, the department will respond only to emergencies within the city, he said.

The town north of Medford has a population listed at about 1,200. Its name comes from a hill where gold was discovered in the mid 1800s, although Lewis A. McArthur's "Oregon Geographical Names" says there is some dispute as to which of two hills was Gold Hill.

Cross240 is offline Temporarily Civilianized
    In 1997 then-Police Chief Katie Holmboe was reprimanded by the City Council for selling Mary Kay products while on duty and for using prayer to try to drive evil spirits from a man she thought was possessed

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross240 View Post
    I'm really, really glad I wasn't the only one that had that reaction.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    In 1997 then-Police Chief Katie Holmboe was reprimanded by the City Council for selling Mary Kay products while on duty and for using prayer to try to drive evil spirits from a man she thought was possessed
    But did it work?

And what pranksters on the city council decided the city limits should be setup to look like tophat wearing penguin?

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I don't see any penguin there, BEB...little help here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

KaiGywer is online now *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, I don't see many penguins either
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    That's what it looked like to me..

I saw the penguin.

KaiGywer is online now *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BEB View Post