Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Man with a habit for speeding sues DOT to get speed limits raised

DOVER, N.H. - A man with a penchant for speedy driving has come up with an unusual tactic for beating speeding tickets raise the limit. So far this year, Larry Lemay has been ticketed four times for speeding.

Rather than slow down, Lemay is suing the state Department of Transportation to study traffic and speed limits across New Hampshire, to see whether limits could be raised. Lemay's lawsuit, filed in Strafford County Superior Court, also asks a judge to order the Transportation Department to pay for his legal fees and the cost of the study, an estimated $1,853.

Lemay said he believes many speed limits are set intentionally low so the state can cash in on drivers.

"The state is making a lot of money doing this, and I want it stopped," he said. "It's wrong."

Dave Hilts, the assistant attorney general representing the state, said Lemay's view that higher speed limits would lead to safer driving is shared on the Internet by many speed limit abolitionists, but is misguided.

"Common sense will tell you that going too slow is only a hazard when other people are going much faster," said Hilts. "It's kind of a weird case."

As for Lemay's suggestion that the state sets low speed limits just to catch people with tickets:

"It seems ridiculous to me. I don't know what incentive the state would have to do that," Hilts said. "I've not seen any evidence that that occurs. I don't believe it."

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I don't approve of using the legal system to try to change laws, but I do sympathize with him. Speed limits here are absurdley low, and even though the Legislature instructed ODOT to raise the limit on the freeways, ODOT has refused to do so.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I know our speed limits are artificially low because of the damn EPA - We exceeded the ozone level, so the Feds threatened to cut off federal highway funding unless we went into compliance by reducing the speed limits. That's one big reason why no one pays much attention to them - The average speed is 70 on a clear freeway.

Our speed limits around Dallas are 60, and graduate to 65 out well away from Dallas. They don't hit 70 till you're out in the middle of nowhere - No problem though, because you rarely if ever see any cops except in Carrollton, Lewisville, and on the tollways.

Ain't no way Dallas is ever gonna be in compliance in the summer, especially with mandated MTBE and ethanol in the reformulated gas, both of which have repeatedly been shown to actually increase some types of pollution even if they do lower other types.

I think what Texas need to do is tell Washington bureaucrats that we won't be selling them any more gasoline or natural gas if they cut off Federal funding and don't do anything about the borders.

Then if they want to play hardball, we DID reserve the right to secede when we joined the Union, so we can cut off the source of our damn Federal funding - US!!!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Here's a laugh, the speed limit on I-20 through Atlanta is 55. I've been passed by grannies in boat sized caddies going faster than that, and they flip me off as they go. Hell, the illegals stacked in the back of pickups get out and PUSH faster than that. If you're not doing at least 70, you're roadkill.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    I don't approve of using the legal system to try to change laws, but I do sympathize with him. Speed limits here are absurdley low, and even though the Legislature instructed ODOT to raise the limit on the freeways, ODOT has refused to do so.
    I used to live in this town, and I'll admit, I am/was a bit of a lead foot, but I never thought the speed limits were unreasonably low. In NH, interstates are 65, state routes are 55, sub urban 35-45, urban is 30, school 20.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I like that he's taken the advice "if you don't like the law, get it changed", but I agree this really should be done through the legislative process first.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Here's a laugh, the speed limit on I-20 through Atlanta is 55. I've been passed by grannies in boat sized caddies going faster than that, and they flip me off as they go. Hell, the illegals stacked in the back of pickups get out and PUSH faster than that. If you're not doing at least 70, you're roadkill.

Ducky, if you can find it on Youtube there is a funny video where a bunch of college students lined their cars up and went around I-285 (the Atlanta beltway where the Speed Limit is a ridiculous 55mph) during rush hour. A dangerous stunt, but funny. Prooving that such a slow speed limit is ridiculous and dangerous.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information