Welcome to the APBWeb.
    phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Fast Food Employee Urinates in Cop's Food?

I did several searches, but either I did not put in the correct search words, or this article hasn't made it on here yet. If it's a repeat, I apologize. I have not had time to be on LEF much recently, so have not kept up with reading threads.

I realize this kind of thing probably happens a lot...I've seen several threads on different sites, devoted to discussing this topic. However, living near Lincoln, NE...this one caught my eye.

It's not the contamination part that surprises me. I know that happens. It's wrong...but it does happen. What shocked and angered me the most is the fact that this kid was not fired. THAT, I don't get.

Obviously, all the lawsuit specifics are not going to be discussed in an article like this, but I sincerely hope that suit includes the Manager and/or Owner...as well as the Diedrich kid and his family. This really makes me want to boycott the eating establishment...and make a bigger deal about it than what I've seen thus far.

This article was on page A3 in my paper....at the bottom, tucked in a nice safe, not so visible place. In fact, I almost missed it. IMHO, it should have been a front pager.

http://www.yankton.net/stories/06220...79260396.shtml

Friday, June 22, 2007
    Story last updated at 1:03 am on 6/22/2007
    Lawsuit Alleges Fast-Food Employee Spit, Urinated On Food

By: Nate Jenkins

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Members of a Sidney family say a fast-food dinner they were served in 2005 contained far more than what they ordered.

In a lawsuit filed Thursday in Cheyenne County District Court, Sidney police officer Keith Andrew and his wife allege that a Taco Bell employee urinated and spit in food served to their family in October 2005.

The complaint was filed against North Platte-based Mid Plains Food and Lodging, owner of the KFC/Taco Bell.

A company spokesman, Jeff Moore, said the company has not seen the lawsuit so could not immediately comment.

The lawsuit says the couple's 4-year-old son became "violently ill" with gastroenteritis and dehydration the day he ate the food, vomited for hours and was forced to spend time in the hospital. Another son, 7 years old at the time, also became ill, the lawsuit says.

Managers of the restaurant were aware of the contamination at the time the Andrew family was eating but didn't inform the family, according to the lawsuit filed by Scottsbluff-based attorney Maren Chaloupka. The lawsuit suggests the family was the victim of a scheme that targeted police officers.

"Employees maintained 'special servings' of food reserved for ... officers," the lawsuit says. "The 'special servings' had been urinated in or spit in by KFC/Taco Bell employees. In fact, defendant's employees maintained a particular serving pan for use in creating 'special servings' of food plus employee urine."

The lawsuit says management was well aware of the scheme aimed at officers before the Oct. 28, 2005, incident with the Andrew family, "but did nothing that could be reasonably calculated to protect its customers from this practice."

The employee accused of urinating and spitting in the Andrew family's food, Casey Diedrich, could not be reached to comment. In March of this year, Diedrich pleaded guilty to violating the Nebraska Pure Food Act and fined $100, according to Cheyenne County Court records. The prosecution was for the same incident described in the lawsuit, according to Chaloupka.

Other workers saw what Diedrich did, the lawsuit says, and reported it to management.

But despite knowing Diedrich contaminated the food, management did not discipline him, and he was allowed to work at the restaurant for at least two more months without special supervision, the lawsuit alleges.

The company spokesman, Moore, said Diedrich was eventually fired for missing work but not for any of the alleged incidents the lawsuit cites.

No complaints of possible food contamination prompting state inspections were levied against the restaurant around the time of the October incident described in the lawsuit, according to the state Department of Agriculture, which conducts investigations. The last inspection of the restaurant, conducted three months ago as part of a regular inspection schedule, turned up only minor, routine violations, such as having a mop in dirty water.

Damages allegedly suffered by the family and outlined in the suit include: past and future physical and mental harm; $1,190.44 in medical expenses; and future medical expenses.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

Roses is offline Member
    He should have been fired immediately along with anyone else involved.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I also think that he should be made to eat the food that he altered. This is just sickening. What goes around comes around. If he has to make a visit to the hospital then so be it. Maybe he will learn next time not to mess with other peoples food.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I hope he makes so much money they have to renamed the place "Copo Bell".
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I hope he makes so much money they have to renamed the place "Copo Bell".

Indeed...Taco Bell better get out their checks and start adding zeroes to the number...ill tell you to stop when I get tired.

This is part of the reason why I dont go to places like that...
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    You know, if it was just him and some other cop buddies. I'd say "par for the course". It's still wrong, of course, but this is just one of the many risks we take.

When they served that food to his wife and kids, that made it personal. In addition to owning Taco Bell, I think everyone that knew about this should be tied down and their faces made human toilets at a police station after a a fajita cookout.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    He should have been fired (and both the employee & manager could be guilty of agg assault), but I'm sorry is a small quantity of urine and spit going to really cause anyone to "become violently ill with gastroenteritis and dehydration"? I doubt it.

I think that part of the lawsuit is BS unless a poison was also put in the food - Which it may have been.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    He should have been fired (and both the employee & manager could be guilty of agg assault), but I'm sorry is a small quantity of urine and spit going to really cause anyone to "become violently ill with gastroenteritis and dehydration"? I doubt it.

I think that part of the lawsuit is BS unless a poison was also put in the food - Which it may have been.

Well, urine and spit were all that was admitted to and/or reported in this article. There could have been other things. IF I read the article correctly, it said they 'maintained special servings of food for officers'. Reading into that a little, one could surmise they set contaminated food aside. Depending on how long that food sits waiting and what, other than spit and urine, are added, there could be significant bacterial build-up. THAT, could be extremely toxic.

Personally, Taco Bell is off my 'to do' list for...oh...I don't know....the rest of my life. I think not only the employees, but the management as well, should be sued. There is no way someone in a managorial positon, could possibly have NOT known what was going on. And, if they DIDN'T....they should have. That's their job. It appears to me that they knew and tolerated the practice.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

Thread Information