Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Delware replaces Crown Vics with Bucket Trucks.

I didn't like their headline.

Cops take high ground to halt highway speeders
    Bucket truck is newest tool in arsenal against accidents on I-495
    http://www.delmarvanow.com/apps/pbcs.../70630003/1002
    By Andrew Tangel
    The News Journal

WILMINGTON As Americans gear up to celebrate freedom this holiday weekend, Delaware State Police don't want drivers taking too many liberties on the road.

Police are sending out more troopers to target speeders as drivers pack onto Delaware highways, where 60 people have perished in accidents this year.

And they introduced a new tactic Friday to highlight increased enforcement, zeroing in on a stretch of I-495.

Police hoisted a trooper in a DelDOT bucket truck, shrouded partly by trees on the side of the highway. The truck helped conceal and protect the trooper, who was wielding a LIDAR gun -- similar to a radar gun but which uses a laser.

The trooper radioed the speeds and car descriptions of violators to a pack of patrol cars behind the truck, lying in wait to pull over the more flagrant drivers.

"We're fishing for the big bass today," state police Lt. William Alexander said.

One of the troopers waiting for a cue was Cpl. Andrea Boone, one of many assigned to schools but freed up this summer to help with "team radar" operations around the state, each sometimes involving up to 10 officers.

In one case, she got the call over the radio for a driver going 80 mph on the highway, which has a speed limit of 65. The target was a grayish Honda Civic with Delaware tags in the right lane. Once she pulled the car over, the woman driver began crying. She said she knew she was speeding, Boone said, but explained that she just got released from the hospital.

"I want you to get safely home," Boone said she told her. Boone knocked down the ticket to a violation for going 70 in a 65-mph zone, her typical policy that minimizes the fine and impact on a driving record.

The 14 speeders caught in Friday's 90-minute operation were going from 80 to 89 mph, said Cpl. Jeff Whitmarsh, a state police spokesman. Four were cited for failing to show proof of insurance; one driver was cited for failing to signal.

Speeding fines in Delaware range from $39.60 to $216.60. That doesn't include points on a driver's license and increased insurance rates.

Friday's operation -- and others like it planned this weekend, including a drunken-driving checkpoint in Newark on Friday night -- are not about doling out tickets, Whitmarsh said. "It's about getting to and from your destination safely," he said.

Police hope an increased presence on the road and media attention will slow drivers down and prevent wrecks.

So far, 60 people have died this year in 53 fatal crashes in Delaware, according to the state Office of Highway Safety. Of those, speed was cited as the primary contributing factor in 15.

People may equate driving fast on the open road with freedom, but with holiday congestion, it often contributes to aggressive driving, accidents and delays.

Leon James, a psychology professor at the University of Hawaii who co-wrote "Road Rage and Aggressive Driving," said drivers are more free when they cooperate with other drivers and obey laws "because that's when traffic will go smoother, faster and with [the] least accidents."

"That's the true freedom that we're celebrating as Americans. What's the other one? People call that freedom but it's really not," James said. "You're a slave to your emotions, which are irrational and spur-of-the-moment."

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What's wrong with the headline?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    I don't see anything wrong..?
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Relied on tongue in cheek too much and wasn't descriptive. Also, taken literally, they're not on the ground.

More importantly, mine made you look

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Holy shit, my small state made the LEF newsroom!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information