Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: What do you think of President Bush commuting Scooter Libby's sentence?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bad

16 44.44%
  • Good

13 36.11%
  • Not enough information to decide yet

7 19.44%
    Terminator is offline BANNED

What do you think of President Bush commuting Scooter Libby's sentence?

What do you think of President Bush commuting Scooter Libby's sentence, and why?

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    what i found the most funny was the fact that 'Hillary' had something to say about it and it wasn't all that cool... ummmmmm ROFLMAO... how many friggin people did they pardon?
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Should be a pardon. But a step in the right direction. The entire case was a political spectacle -- a multi-year long investigation into a crime that never occurred and never could have occurred. Plame's status didn't satisfy the condition of the relevant statute necessary for a crime to have been committed. Fitzgerald knew that. The DOJ gave him completely unchecked power, and he used it to drag Libby repeatedly before a grand jury until inconsistencies surfaced in his testimony -- inconsistencies not much different than the ones in the memory of the prosecution's own witnesses! Armitage, meanwhile, who was responsible for the leak, has received virtually no criticism from the left or from the media. Nor, of course, has he received attention from the legal system – which makes sense, given that a crime never occurred. From top to bottom the case was a disgrace and a mockery of justice.

Sandy Burglar stole classified documents pertaining to the worst terrorist attack in US history from the national archives, hid them under a construction trailer, and later destroyed them. He ought to be in jail, and if not for cowardly Republican leadership, he would be. Instead, he received no jail time, a fine smaller than Scooter Libby's, and any hope for the truth about the documents he stole to emerge has been all but lost forever. I’m sick of the entire case, I’m sick of the Republican party for not having the fortitude to fight for Scooter Libby, I’m sick of the Democratic party for their phony concern about justice in America, and I’m sick that a man who dedicated plenty of his life to quietly serving his country has had his career destroyed.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    ... how many friggin people did they pardon?
    The number was close to 400.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx View Post
    Should be a pardon. But a step in the right direction. The entire case was a political spectacle -- a multi-year long investigation into a crime that never occurred and never could have occurred. Plame's status didn't satisfy the condition of the relevant statute necessary for a crime to have been committed. Fitzgerald knew that. The DOJ gave him completely unchecked power, and he used it to drag Libby repeatedly before a grand jury until inconsistencies surfaced in his testimony -- inconsistencies not much different than the ones in the memory of the prosecution's own witnesses! Armitage, meanwhile, who was responsible for the leak, has received virtually no criticism from the left or from the media. Nor, of course, has he received attention from the legal system which makes sense, given that a crime never occurred. From top to bottom the case was a disgrace and a mockery of justice.

Sandy Burglar stole classified documents pertaining to the worst terrorist attack in US history from the national archives, hid them under a construction trailer, and later destroyed them. He ought to be in jail, and if not for cowardly Republican leadership, he would be. Instead, he received no jail time, a fine smaller than Scooter Libby's, and any hope for the truth about the documents he stole to emerge has been all but lost forever. Im sick of the entire case, Im sick of the Republican party for not having the fortitude to fight for Scooter Libby, Im sick of the Democratic party for their phony concern about justice in America, and Im sick that a man who dedicated plenty of his life to quietly serving his country has had his career destroyed.
    I'd love to throw in a good rant here, but Andrew just spoke volumes. Excellent post.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I have mixed feelings. Libby was used, and the people responsible wanted him to throw himself on the sword...he chose not to take the fall.

However, despite the many hairs some wish to split about Valerie Plame's status, she was a covert operative. Her name was revealed for petty, and political reasons. It was an act that lacked honor and integrity.

My mother spent 30+ years as a civil servant. She had to be cleared to work with highly classified materials. She had to give the name of any man she dated, for them to be checked. She went thru mandatory ethics training every year. She had to avoid the the appearance of unethical behavior at all times. She swore, and renewed an oath to serve her country.

I'm really disturbed by how some have tried to justify what happened, and claim his years of service as mitigating in some way. He was reckless with the career of another "servant" of our government, and by doing so, may have put the lives and work of countless others at risk.

I'm sure the many players in this travesty never gave a single thought to the "big picture." This was all a swipe at Joe Wilson as payback, and to discredit him. Shame on them. The security of our nation should be paramount to all of us, no matter what party affiliation is claimed.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    I have mixed feelings. Libby was used, and the people responsible wanted him to throw himself on the sword...he chose not to take the fall.

However, despite the many hairs some wish to split about Valerie Plame's status, she was a covert operative. Her name was revealed for petty, and political reasons. It was an act that lacked honor and integrity.

My mother spent 30+ years as a civil servant. She had to be cleared to work with highly classified materials. She had to give the name of any man she dated, for them to be checked. She went thru mandatory ethics training every year. She had to avoid the the appearance of unethical behavior at all times. She swore, and renewed an oath to serve her country.

I'm really disturbed by how some have tried to justify what happened, and claim his years of service as mitigating in some way. He was reckless with the career of another "servant" of our government, and by doing so, may have put the lives and work of countless others at risk.

I'm sure the many players in this travesty never gave a single thought to the "big picture." This was all a swipe at Joe Wilson as payback, and to discredit him. Shame on them. The security of our nation should be paramount to all of us, no matter what party affiliation is claimed.
    Respectfully, I must disagree. We know who outed Plame, and it was Richard Armitage. The special prosecutor knew that within the first few days of the trial, and said nothing. Even the judge who sentenced Libby said Libby had no knowledge of Plames status. Joe Wilson was/is a fraud and a liar. Yet he was never asked to testify under oath. Let us not forget there was another government official who was convicted of perjury, and disbarred. Yet no jail time, probation or fine was ever levied. That person was one William Jefferson Clinton.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    Respectfully, I must disagree. We know who outed Plame, and it was Richard Armitage. The special prosecutor knew that within the first few days of the trial, and said nothing. Even the judge who sentenced Libby said Libby had no knowledge of Plames status. Joe Wilson was/is a fraud and a liar. Yet he was never asked to testify under oath. Let us not forget there was another government official who was convicted of perjury, and disbarred. Yet no jail time, probation or fine was ever levied. That person was one William Jefferson Clinton.
    I was expressing my own opinion on the situation. Libby was made the scapegoat for the actions of others, but he didn't play the game. Bush declared a full on hunt, and that meant someone needed to be turfed out. It's all politics.

There are no excuses for unethical behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    I was expressing my own opinion on the situation. Libby was made the scapegoat for the actions of others, but he didn't play the game. Bush declared a full on hunt, and that meant someone needed to be turfed out. It's all politics.

There are no excuses for unethical behavior.
    Of course, I would completely agree PD. Unethical behavior should be punished. So why no outrage over Sandy Berger shoving secure documents down his pants and shredding them? Why no call to arms over Joe Wilson lying about what he reported to congress, who sent him to Niger, etc. My only point was it should be a level playing field, regardless of politics. I love hearing your opinions PD, I didnt mean to climb too high on the soapbox.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    Of course, I would completely agree PD. Unethical behavior should be punished. So why no outrage over Sandy Berger shoving secure documents down his pants and shredding them? Why no call to arms over Joe Wilson lying about what he reported to congress, who sent him to Niger, etc. My only point was it should be a level playing field, regardless of politics. I love hearing your opinions PD, I didnt mean to climb too high on the soapbox.
    I was just answering the question of the thread - which was about Scooter Libby.

My perspective was more on the side of civil servants, and how they are used as pawns for petty reasons.

As a woman, I will always wonder if they thought Valerie Plame was expendable, simply because as a woman, she may not really hold an essential position in the CIA. I wonder if it would have happened if the gender roles were reversed.

As an old broad, I've seen my share of corruption, and various shenanagins thru the years. I keep hoping that politicians will remember that they are role models too, and that their behavior speaks as loudly as Paris, Mel and Brittany's.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

Ramos and Compean

Anyone know if the USBP Officers Ramos and Compean got a pardon?
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

rebeljcl is offline The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post

YEAH..that would be NO....ashame.
    "Starting tonight we're having a little sales contest. The loser gets fired. The winner gets a Water Pik."

"IF you don't want to stand behind the troops....PLEASE feel free to stand in FRONT of them!!" unknown

They didnt. But there is a renewed outcry for them to get the "scooter treatment".

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    That was the first thing I thought of too.

There was a true miscarriage of justice....a true witch hunt....makes you wonder why Johnny Sutton wasn't on the hit list of US Attorney's to dismiss.

Thread Information